SportsWrath

2007's Players To Watch For

Virginia Giant

I did this last year, and while I was off the mark on a few of the Rangers, we all got to witness the level of brilliance Lorf has. :worshippy:

Basically, as i said last year, it's a guide to see which players from our favorite team (or other teams young guns) to watch for. Mostly it's because I like to watch out for young guys trying to make an impact, so it's mostly for minor leaguers or young major leaguers.

Rangers Players to Watch.

Joaquin Arias SS. He's blocked by Young at SS and Kinsler at second so he'll back up Young. They're trying to find a place for him in the next few years, one possibility is CF. He needs work on plate discipline but has loads of talent. If Blalocks shoulder becomes an issue, he may even see time at 3rd.

Josh Rupe SP. I think he's the leading candidate for the 5th spot, I think Washington is gonna give him every chance to lose the spot. He was injured last spring training by being too eager to be ready,m basically wore himself out the first week. Has a nice assortmant of pitches that are all pretty good.

Thomas Diamond SP Probly won't see big league time, but he's one of the golden boy itchers we have in the minors.

Robinson Tejada SP He's in the 4th spot. Did damn good when he was recalled late last year, i don't know the exact numbers, but over like his last half dozen starts he had a crazy ERA, just over 2.00 I think.

The Bullpen Should be fun to watch, chalked full of young guys who did amazingly last year, Littleton, Wilson, Mahay, Bauer etc. Plus if Gagne does what he can, the last 3 innings are gonna be a lock wit Littleton, Aki, Gagne.

Nelson Cruz RF. Struggled at the plate last year, but found his groove in the dominican league, he's key to out sucess.

Gerald Laird C. I'm a big fan of the guy and I'm tickled he's the man this year. He split time with Barajas last year. Needs to hit righty's.

Eric Hurley SP. He was out pitcher of the year last year in the minors.

Edison Volquez SP. Same story as Diamond. One of the chosen ones supposedly.

And lastly, Brandon McCarthy SP. Given the third spot, traded our top pitching prospect for him, so we'll see. I havn't seen much of the guy personally, and lorf could tell you more than I could about him, but he's supposed to be a lock.

I did this last year, and while I was off the mark on a few of the Rangers, we all got to witness the level of brilliance Lorf has. :worshippy:

And lastly, Brandon McCarthy SP. Given the third spot, traded our top pitching prospect for him, so we'll see. I havn't seen much of the guy personally, and lorf could tell you more than I could about him, but he's supposed to be a lock.

Oh wow...I don't even remember how off the mark my predictions were last year...gonna have to check those. As for McCarthy, the knock on him is that he gives up too many HRs but he's actually moving from a more power oriented ballpark to Texas where the homers still fly but not so much. While his 10.26 minor league K/9 has yet to translate into major league success (6.94), we know he's capable of punching people out with decent control. Look at this, his minor league HR/9 is 0.84 compared to his major league HR/9 of...get this...1.78. I think we have a bit of 2006 Beckett problem here...McCarthy won't do worse than his 4.39 major league ERA in 1 1/2 seasons as a reliever and could possibly do better if he could cut down on HRs. I would expect decent things, especially since he finally has a place to start instead of being relegated to the pen because of the White Sox' five aces of yesteryear. There may be some bumps in the road as he gets used to starting again but he'll provide more now than Danks will for a while.

I feel like with both of our players to watch most of them haven't made any huge contributions of yet. Here's yours:

Players to watch on the Rangers

Ian Kinsler: Second Baseman. He seems to be a good all around player, a hard worker. reminds me of Michael Young, has big offensive shoes to fill following Soriano, but even though he moved to 2B recently, his defense has to be an improvment over Sori.

Kameron Loe: Pitcher, Has the stuff, they decided to keep him instead of Chris Young, that speaks volumes because I was very high on Young, he'll be in the 4 spot and he pitched very well last season.

Kevin Mench: Left Field, not exactly a noob, but relativly unknown. This should be his year, he's been a productive player, but all signs point to him having a very good year. 35 HR's and 80+ RBI's.

Lance Wilkerson: CF, He should be batting lead off, and in our park he could have a break out year.

Ok, now for some minor leagers

John Danks, Thomas Diomond. theres another one I just can't remember right now. But Danks and Diomond have impressed the MLB coaching staffs, especially Diomond. Both should see big league time this year, Diomond might even win the 5 spot later in the year.

Joaquin Arias, SS. It'll be tough for him to see much time unless God forbid Young or Kinsler get injured, or Kinsler struggles alot. But he has impressed alot of people, I can only go by word of mouth because I have not seen him play.

I'm sort of ashamed, VG, for you not to mention Kinsler who was struck by injuries and bad luck as a player to watch for. He could be a part of that underrated Rangers infield that could quite possibly rank third or fourth behind the Phillies, Mets, and Yankees. As I said in another thread, I expect Michael Young to pick it up a bit in terms of power and production from last year, Teixeira will most likely build off of his second half last year, and this may be Blalock's last year to prove himself. Throw in Kinsler who offers at least 15/15 production (14 HRs, 11 SB in 423 ABs) and bravo, there's something to be proud of. Your outfield on the other hand...hehe...not gonna touch that. Arias is only 21 and his time will come eventually, but probably not for another couple of years with your infield filled up...I think the Rangers will take their time with such a young player. I'd also like to see Arias start stealing bases more intelligently...he has a 90-43 minor league SB/CS ratio.

As for the Red Sox:

Dustin Pedroia - I'm high on the kid and with good reason. The Sox brass saw enough in this scrappy young kid not resign Mark Loretta or any of the multitude of 2b on the market this offseason. The guy is a line drive hitter who will take walks (to the tune of a .392 minor league OBP and about a .370 OBP in AAA) and offer good statistics for a number 9 hitter. There's no pressure on him now, and despite his flop in a September callup, he spent 11 weeks at the Arizona Sports Institute this offseason and lost 23 pounds that he gained after surgery last year. That kind of motivation usually means a player is something special and even if he is diminutive and isn't particularly the most exciting player in the world, he is the perfect complementary player who can get on base and score runs.

Coco Crisp - Despite still hurting from his finger surgery when he bats lefthanded, I also have high hopes for Coco Crisp to live up to the player he was before breaking his finger in the sixth game of the year and playing injured for the entire year. Even though he only played 104 games last season, he still stole 22 bases and got caught only 4 times. With the roles clearly defined this season and Crisp batting 8th, he'll definitely get 30 and possibly touch 40 stolen bases with Pedroia bunting him over every other opportunity. The guy's 26, healthy (save for some lingering pain), and has a good spot in the order to at least hit .300 with 15 HRs, 30 SBs (even though he's never eclipsed last season's 22 SB in the majors, Tito seems willing to run with him), and moderate RBI and run production considering his spot in the lineup.

There really isn't anybody in the Red Sox farm system who is likely to come up for more than a cup of tea this season. The bullpen is stacked and if anyone goes down there will be a bevy of pitchers in AAA to call up and the outfield depth is good with Pena and Hinske (although Hinske will most likely backup the IF positions with Cora). If the OF takes a hit, David Murphy who added 15 pounds of muscle this offseason will likely get an opportunity if he isn't traded first. Ellsbury is an exciting CF with phenomenal speed and defensive abilities but the Sox most likely wouldn't want to impede his development considering he'll start in AAA for the first time this season. Hansen is sort of a forgotten man but he was considered one of the best prospects in the draft for a reason...he has an incredible ability to pitch and he was thrust into the major league bullpen last season because of a barrage of injuries. Expect Lester to start out in AAA and hopefully stay there to work out his ability to throw strikes.

As far as for the rest of the major leagues...fuck you guys. If I'm going to be in a league with all of you then there's no way I'm giving my secrets up. Yahoo Fantasy Baseball is now officially up...anyone make a league yet and do we have a clear set of participants?

I feel like with both of our players to watch most of them haven't made any huge contributions of yet. Here's yours:

Players to watch on the Rangers

Ian Kinsler: Second Baseman. He seems to be a good all around player, a hard worker. reminds me of Michael Young, has big offensive shoes to fill following Soriano, but even though he moved to 2B recently, his defense has to be an improvment over Sori.

Kameron Loe: Pitcher, Has the stuff, they decided to keep him instead of Chris Young, that speaks volumes because I was very high on Young, he'll be in the 4 spot and he pitched very well last season.

Kevin Mench: Left Field, not exactly a noob, but relativly unknown. This should be his year, he's been a productive player, but all signs point to him having a very good year. 35 HR's and 80+ RBI's.

Lance Wilkerson: CF, He should be batting lead off, and in our park he could have a break out year.

Ok, now for some minor leagers

John Danks, Thomas Diomond. theres another one I just can't remember right now. But Danks and Diomond have impressed the MLB coaching staffs, especially Diomond. Both should see big league time this year, Diomond might even win the 5 spot later in the year.

Joaquin Arias, SS. It'll be tough for him to see much time unless God forbid Young or Kinsler get injured, or Kinsler struggles alot. But he has impressed alot of people, I can only go by word of mouth because I have not seen him play.

I'm sort of ashamed, VG, for you not to mention Kinsler who was struck by injuries and bad luck as a player to watch for in 2007. He could be a part of that underrated Rangers infield that could quite possibly rank third or fourth behind the Phillies, Mets, and Yankees. As I said in another thread, I expect Michael Young to pick it up a bit in terms of power and production from last year, Teixeira will most likely build off of his second half last year, and this may be Blalock's last year to prove himself. Throw in Kinsler who offers at least 15/15 production (14 HRs, 11 SB in 423 ABs) and bravo, there's something to be proud of. Your outfield on the other hand...hehe...not gonna touch that. Arias is only 21 and his time will come eventually, but probably not for another couple of years with your infield filled up...I think the Rangers will take their time with such a young player. I'd also like to see Arias start stealing bases more intelligently...he has a 90-43 minor league SB/CS ratio.

As for the Red Sox:

Dustin Pedroia - I'm high on the kid and with good reason. The Sox brass saw enough in this scrappy young kid not resign Mark Loretta or any of the multitude of 2b on the market this offseason. The guy is a line drive hitter who will take walks (to the tune of a .392 minor league OBP and about a .370 OBP in AAA) and offer good statistics for a number 9 hitter. There's no pressure on him now, and despite his flop in a September callup, he spent 11 weeks at the Arizona Sports Institute this offseason and lost 23 pounds that he gained after surgery last year. That kind of motivation usually means a player is something special and even if he is diminutive and isn't particularly the most exciting player in the world, he is the perfect complementary player who can get on base and score runs.

Coco Crisp - Despite still hurting from his finger surgery when he bats lefthanded, I also have high hopes for Coco Crisp to live up to the player he was before breaking his finger in the sixth game of the year and playing injured for the entire year. Even though he only played 104 games last season, he still stole 22 bases and got caught only 4 times. With the roles clearly defined this season and Crisp batting 8th, he'll definitely get 30 and possibly touch 40 stolen bases with Pedroia bunting him over every other opportunity. The guy's 26, healthy (save for some lingering pain), and has a good spot in the order to at least hit .300 with 15 HRs, 30 SBs (even though he's never eclipsed last season's 22 SB in the majors, Tito seems willing to run with him), and moderate RBI and run production considering his spot in the lineup.

There really isn't anybody in the Red Sox farm system who is likely to come up for more than a cup of tea this season. The bullpen is stacked and if anyone goes down there will be a bevy of pitchers in AAA to call up and the outfield depth is good with Pena and Hinske (although Hinske will most likely backup the IF positions with Cora). If the OF takes a hit, David Murphy who added 15 pounds of muscle this offseason will likely get an opportunity if he isn't traded first. Ellsbury is an exciting CF with phenomenal speed and defensive abilities but the Sox most likely wouldn't want to impede his development considering he'll start in AAA for the first time this season. Hansen is sort of a forgotten man but he was considered one of the best prospects in the draft for a reason...he has an incredible ability to pitch and he was thrust into the major league bullpen last season because of a barrage of injuries. Expect Lester to start out in AAA and hopefully stay there to work out his ability to throw strikes.

As far as for the rest of the major leagues...fuck you guys. If I'm going to be in a league with all of you then there's no way I'm giving my secrets up. Yahoo Fantasy Baseball is now officially up...anyone make a league yet and do we have a clear set of participants?

I guess I will do a Mets players to watch for:

David Wright: After slumping for 2 months after the all star break he just managed to hit .311 with 26 homers and 116 RBI and not

to mention 20 stolen bases. Expect Wright to hit over .300 again with more home runs and around 120 RBI. The sky is the limit for D-Wright, just as long

as he stays out of the home run derby.

Jose Reyes: Hit .300 with 19 home runs and 81 for a lead off hitter, also 17 triples to that. He is arguably the most exciting player

in Major League Baseball, plays great defense and speaks Spanish.

I`ll finish the rest later as I am hungover and tired.

Oliver Perez will return to his form of 2004 under the guidance of Rick Peterson and emerge as a dominant left handed pitcher in the NL.

Julio Franco will become the oldest player in MLB history to hit a single with 2 outs in the 7th inning with a runner on second in a 3-3, two times rain delayed game during a West Coast trip in which the Mets will finish 6-3.

I guess I will do a Mets players to watch for:

David Wright: After slumping for 2 months after the all star break he just managed to hit .311 with 26 homers and 116 RBI and not

to mention 20 stolen bases. Expect Wright to hit over .300 again with more home runs and around 120 RBI. The sky is the limit for D-Wright, just as long

as he stays out of the home run derby.

Jose Reyes: Hit .300 with 19 home runs and 81 for a lead off hitter, also 17 triples to that. He is arguably the most exciting player

in Major League Baseball, plays great defense and speaks Spanish.

I`ll finish the rest later as I am hungover and tired.

Well, Reyes did add 8 pounds of muscle this offseason too and I think he's rounded out at an even 200 lbs. Randolph is gushing about how he looks. But past that, I was thinking more along the lines of under the radar guys...I dunno...Oliver Perez maybe? The Mets are pretty established everywhere except for the starting rotation.

Well, Reyes did add 8 pounds of muscle this offseason too and I think he's rounded out at an even 200 lbs. Randolph is gushing about how he looks. But past that, I was thinking more along the lines of under the radar guys...I dunno...Oliver Perez maybe? The Mets are pretty established everywhere except for the starting rotation.

:TU: See my above post...

:TU: See my above post...

Ahh, I tip my hat to you sir.

And honestly, I think it's more likely that Franco becomes the oldest player in major league history to trip on a squirrel running from second to third base in a September day game.

And honestly, I think it's more likely that Franco becomes the oldest player in major league history to trip on a squirrel running from second to third base in a September day game.

Are you saying he's slow? The old guy stole 5 bases last year, and third base at least twice.

Praise Franco.

I didn't even knew Franco could still run... :confused: