SportsWrath

Can someone help me with this?

enjaygee

I keep hearing if we win, there is still a (very slim) chance we could not make it. I thought it was a strength of victory tiebreaker over Green Bay, then I read this -

"The New York Giants control almost all the tiebreakers among the five 7-8 teams vying for the NFC's last wild-card spot. They are tied with Green Bay for the best conference record at 6-5, and their strength of victory and strength of schedule is significantly better than the Packers.

New York's scenario for the playoffs is simple. Beat Washington on Saturday night, then wait until Sunday for the right result in any one of 10 other games. The chances of all 10 going against the Giants are astronomical."

My question is, what would have to go terribly wrong in the other ten games for us not to make it?

I keep hearing if we win, there is still a (very slim) chance we could not make it. I thought it was a strength of victory tiebreaker over Green Bay, then I read this -

"The New York Giants control almost all the tiebreakers among the five 7-8 teams vying for the NFC's last wild-card spot. They are tied with Green Bay for the best conference record at 6-5, and their strength of victory and strength of schedule is significantly better than the Packers.

New York's scenario for the playoffs is simple. Beat Washington on Saturday night, then wait until Sunday for the right result in any one of 10 other games. The chances of all 10 going against the Giants are astronomical."

My question is, what would have to go terribly wrong in the other ten games for us not to make it?

Ok.. first we need to win Saturday night. If we do win, only one of 2 things you need to look for:

• Dallas beating Detroit. (Huge possibility)
  • Or Chicago beating Green Bay (Sunday night game.. and highly unlikely since Chicago won't have their starters on the field)
That's it.. win Saturday then watch Dallas beat detroit at 1 pm. Then we have to get ready for our game at Philladelphia. :)

There was a good article posted yesterday or the day before detailing all of this. To get into the playoffs, look at Nas' post. It's still possible to make the playoffs even with a loss, but something like 8 other games ALL have to fall the right way for that to happen.

I see no reason to delay the inevitable. Just lose Sunday and plan for next year.

Here ya go:

NFC East

• Dallas and Philadelphia have clinched playoff berths.

• Dallas can clinch division with:

1. A win with a Philadelphia loss or tie OR

2. A tie with a Philadelphia loss

• Philadelphia can clinch division with:

1. A win OR

2. Dallas loss OR

3. A tie with a Dallas tie

• N.Y. Giants can clinch a playoff berth with:

1. A win and clinch strength of victory tiebreaker over Green Bay OR

2. A win with a Green Bay loss or tie OR

3. A tie plus a Green Bay loss or tie plus a St. Louis loss or tie plus an Atlanta loss or tie and a Carolina loss or tie OR

4. A Green Bay loss plus a St. Louis loss plus an Atlanta loss and a Carolina loss

• N.Y. Giants clinch strength of victory tiebreaker over Green Bay if:

1. Detroit or Minnesota lose

2. Any two of the following results occur: Arizona loss, Miami loss, San Francisco loss, Carloina win, Houston win, Tampa Bay win.

Thanks for the answers, but what I really wanted to know (just out of curiosity) was what it would take for the Giants to win and still not make it. Here is the scenerio -

Green Bay, Arizona, Detroit, Miami, Minnesota and San Francisco all win and Carolina, Houston and Tampa Bay all lose.

I think if all this happens, Green Bay clinches strength of victory tiebreaker.