SportsWrath

Coughlin's

Lughead

Nov. 27, 2006) -- Giants coach Tom Coughlin has five games to save his locker room, his season and his job.

If the Giants stumble down the stretch the way they did in Tennessee, ownership will lose even more faith in Coughlin than it already has. But the Giants coach has five games to rally support of his players and his organization, which now is on the wane.

One high-ranking Giants source said Monday that Coughlin now faces a potential "mutiny."

"As far as Tom goes, if we keep losing, if it spirals downward, you will have a mutiny here with the players," the Giants official said. "A lot of men can lead. Very few can inspire. He can't inspire these guys." (WHAT IS THIS GIANTS OFFICIAL TRYING TO SAY?)

It has shown in the behavior of Giants running back Tiki Barber and tight end Jeremy Shockey, each of whom has spoken out against his head coach. The source said that Barber and Shockey are representing all the players who are frightened to publicly speak out against their head coach.

This creates a highly intriguing situation as the Giants' season winds down. After this season, Coughlin has one year remaining on his contract. The Giants are not likely to head into their season with a lame-duck head coach, so they either can extend their coach's deal or terminate it. But one way or another, a decision will have to be made. And it will.

It may be tough for Tom Coughlin and the Giants to recover from Sunday's historic collapse.

But right now, the players are as disappointed with Coughlin as he is with them. And much of the Giants' concern centers around their franchise quarterback, Eli Manning.

"There is an uprising here, lot of heat now," the Giants official said. "There is a lot involved with the regression of Eli. When he lost (Luke) Petitgout, he has been skittish back there ever since. … I believe he is regressing. He has a coordinator (John Hufnagel) who just calls plays but does not have a feel for the game. He does not set things up with his play-calling. He has no scheme in his play-calling. Tom is supposed to be an offensive coach. Tom has to be the head coach in some of these situations and take over the calls. He is not doing that.

"Sure, there is pressure that goes with Eli being the first pick. It's warranted. But, geez, help him out. That goes back to the coaching staff. So does starting a game 21-0, being on a mission and then being relaxed. We definitely relaxed. That is coaching."

And that is why these next five games are so critical to Coughlin's future.

link

something is going to change by the sounds of this

Who do u want as a head coach for next yr?

my potential short list

Charlie Weis

Jeff Fisher

Bill Parcells(because no matter what his contract says or is he is always an option ;) )

Bill Cowher(rumor has it he will leave Pitt)

John Fox(Carolina is as big an overrated mess as we are now so who knows?)

Jon Gruden(see same reasons as John Fox)

Lovie Smith(believe he is in last year of deal and Bears are reportedly not prepared to meet his $$ demands)

Kirk Ferentz(the perennial college choice)

Cam Cameron

my potential short list

Charlie Weis

Jeff Fisher

Bill Parcells(because no matter what his contract says or is he is always an option ;) )

Bill Cowher(rumor has it he will leave Pitt)

John Fox(Carolina is as big an overrated mess as we are now so who knows?)

Jon Gruden(see same reasons as John Fox)

Lovie Smith(believe he is in last year of deal and Bears are reportedly not prepared to meet his $$ demands)

Kirk Ferentz(the perennial college choice)

Cam Cameron

Can we lure him away from ND? I know that he wants to coach the Giants...but I don't know if he would want to leave so quickly.

Cowher or Fox would be my second choice.

Who do u want as a head coach for next yr?

Forget that right now. Who is our new GM? I'd like Reese, I think he's done a pretty good job for us, and he deserves a shot; although I wouldn't complain with Abrams, either.

They have to decide on that by January, to have the guy make a decision quickly enough to find a good coach. From what this article is saying, it doesn't look good for TC at all.

Whoever it is, I hope it's a defensive coordinator--considering the last four coaches, we don't seem to have too much luck with former offensive coaches. Who's Lovie's DC?