SportsWrath

Jerry Reese calls out Eli.

Lughead

You know, about the up tempo offense we are supposed to have, why is the center still snapping the ball with 1 or 2 seconds on the clock?

Yep, and Eli is running around once again, something he's not good at.

Honestly, I'm hoping that once Rashad Jennings gets back, our run game recovers and inherently takes pressure off of Eli and the offensive line. He's the type of back that can create yardage and holes where Andre Williams wasn't finding them. 3rd and short is much better than 3rd and 9, provided we can cut down on the false start and offensive holding penalties.

Agreed. Jennings coming back healthy is the only legit hope the offense has at this point.

While I agree the constant '3rd and 11' Peyton Hillis draw plays are ridiculous, I thought the whole point of the quick pace and timed passing game was to reduce Eli's turnovers, sacks, and in general to help make up for a shaky offensive line which can't protect the passer through deep progressions, and can't produce holes for the running game. Will Beatty out there looks like he's competing with Justin Pugh to see who can run back to the sidelines faster.

I agree with your thoughts on this.

The offensive line was fucking putrid last year. The new offense helps the offensive line with the quick tempo, quick throws, etc. It also helps eliminate the costly turnovers. Eli's INTs are down.....his QB rating is up, his completions are up. The main issue with the offense v. Dallas were costly penalties and turnovers, and they were not the fault of Eli Manning.....they are the fault of players not executing properly, and that's a "player thing", not a "scheme thing" or an "aggressiveness" thing.

Eli had a QB rating of 116......if his teammates had played a sharper game (cut down on penalties, fumbles) and had the defense shown up, they would have left Dallas with a win and gone into the bye 4-3.

I'm looking at an offense that is in it's rookie season under McAdoo, and I'm seeing a clear upgrade in performance from both the offensive line and Eli Manning. I look over at the defense, and I see a unit that is its 5th year under Fewell, and is currently ranked 27th in the NFL.

For Reese to focus on Eli not being aggressive enough is laughable given the overall state of this team. It's the same sort of detachment from reality that drove Reese to hang a Super Bowl countdown clock in the locker room when it was clear this roster was degrading in talent through age, injuries, and poor draft decisions.

Like Seph said, I'm really glad Jerry Reese is not the coach.

I think this article provides a good rebuttal to Reese's critique.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/28/jerry-reese-we-need-to-be-more-aggressive-on-offense/

After their abysmal offensive season in 2013, the Giants turned to Ben McAdoo as their new offensive coordinator in hopes that he would devise a scheme that upped Eli Manning’s accuracy while cutting down on the number of times he handed the ball to the other team.

Through seven games, Manning is completing 64.9 percent of his passes and he’s thrown five interceptions, none in the last three games. That has come at the expense of some big plays, but it was what the Giants wanted so you’d imagine everyone is happy with at least that aspect of their 3-4 club. General Manager Jerry Reese lays waste to that notion.

“I just think we have to, as an offense, I think we have to be more aggressive,” Reese said Monday, via the New York Daily News. “I think at times we’re a little bit almost too cautious with what we’re doing offensively. It’s the National Football League. You go out there, man, you have to win the game. You can’t expect something is gonna fall in your lap. You’ve got to go out and take the game, and I think we’re gonna have to be more aggressive offensively.”

The Giants spent the offseason watching McAdoo install his new offense which has very clearly been designed around getting the ball out of Manning’s hands more quickly on shorter passes than the ones that so frequently wound up as interceptions last year. If there was an issue with that offensive style, the time to have raised it would have been at some point during that process just as the time to point out that you want a brick house is before they construct the wood frame.

The alternative is a tearing things up all over again, something the Giants could do but they may ask themselves if Reese is the right man to oversee it since Manning’s transition to this season and system has gone a lot more smoothly than a lot of the players Reese has brought in to surround him.