SportsWrath

Humber settles in with Mets

Blue Jeans

NEW YORK -- Philip Humber has a Major League locker and a New York Mets uniform at Shea Stadium, though he admits it hasn't all set in just yet.

But as Pedro Martinez told the 23-year-old right-hander, "It's all official now."

Humber was among a group of Minor Leaguers promoted to New York this week, summoned from Double-A Binghamton of the Eastern League after the B-Mets' season concluded Monday with a doubleheader split at Connecticut.

Following Tuesday's rainout, Humber said he was looking forward to watching his first two games in a big-league uniform on Wednesday.

"Just driving up to Shea, I hadn't seen the stadium since I signed," Humber said. "It was a cool feeling. I started to feel the butterflies when I walked in. Most of the guys I know from Spring Training, but it was really cool just walking in here and having a locker with my name on it.

"The uniforms are a lot more comfortable than what I'm used to. It was cool. I don't know if I can really describe it. It's something that I've waited a long time for."

Humber was the Mets' first-round selection in the June 2003 First-Year Player Draft out of Rice University, where he was a dominant starter over his three collegiate seasons.

His promotion to the Major Leagues came partly as recognition of his hard work returning from reconstructive right elbow surgery, which cut short his first professional season in July 2005.

Humber returned to mound action in late June this season, making seven starts for the Class A St. Lucie Mets of the Florida State League before being promoted to Binghamton, where he was 2-2 with a 2.88 ERA in six starts.

Mets manager Willie Randolph said he has high hopes for Humber.

"I've said before that I liked this kid," Randolph said. "He's made a nice adjustment from his surgery, and in my bones, I feel like he's going to be a sleeper. That's the way I feel. I've been impressed with his work ethic."

Randolph couldn't promise that Humber would see much -- if any -- mound time this season, although he said the right-hander could get into a game at some point this month.

"I'd like to see him pitch," Randolph said. "I think he's excited about being here. I'm sure that before he goes home, he'd like to see how it feels to be on the bump."

Humber is slated to pitch in the Arizona Fall League after the season and could wind up in the Spring Training mix for 2007. For now, Humber is just hoping to make his big-league appearance truly official.

"[Randolph] told me to stay ready," Humber said. "I don't know how much I'd get to pitch, or if I will at all, but I'll stay ready. I'd love to get my debut in and get my feet wet a little bit."

:rock:

It's officially Scranton?

no not yet. Very likely though. I have been going hardcore looking into this and the Nats are very very interested in Norfolk. It will be the end of the month until we know. The Mets are the SWB's first choice of clubs. All this stuff is supposed to be private, but things just leak out. Thank god the Phillies are getting out of here.

Who's Humber, and what's Scranton?

lol and have you been living under a rock? I will make it short and simple. Humber has been recalled from AA Binghamton who had Tommy John surgery last year. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons (10 minutes away from me) are the AAA affliliate of the Philadelphia Phillies and the Phillies organization are leaving for Ottawa next year and then Allentown, Pa in 2008. New York Mets looks like they wiil be ending their affiliate with the Norfolk Tides. So that means the Mets are the top team to come here to have their AAA affiliate. Not going to mean it will happen but it is a good chance. Get it? See why I am excited?

lol and have you been living under a rock? I will make it short and simple. Humber has been recalled from AA Binghamton who had Tommy John surgery last year. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons (10 minutes away from me) are the AAA affliliate of the Philadelphia Phillies and the Phillies organization are leaving for Ottawa next year and then Allentown, Pa in 2008. New York Mets looks like they wiil be ending their affiliate with the Norfolk Tides. So that means the Mets are the top team to come here to have their AAA affiliate. Not going to mean it will happen but it is a good chance. Get it? See why I am excited?

ok, so Humber is a Met?? and even if the mets gets Scranton what does that mean for us in the present?

ok, so Humber is a Met?? and even if the mets gets Scranton what does that mean for us in the present?

Yeah just called up. It is just a part of their farm system. One step down from the majors. Plus it's geographically good for the Mets because class AA Binghamton is only an hour north and New York is 1.5-2 hours east.

Yeah just called up. It is just a part of their farm system. One step down from the majors. Plus it's geographically good for the Mets because class AA Binghamton is only an hour north and New York is 1.5-2 hours east.

well cool, I hope Humber and Pelfey are ready to become valuable assets next year, or even possibly this year if needed

well cool, I hope Humber and Pelfey are ready to become valuable assets next year, or even possibly this year if needed

I am not sure if Humber is going to even pitch this year. Maybe he will get his shot when the Mets clinch the NL home field advantage. So the last week or two of the season. I am not sure though. I hope Pelfrey is able to come back.

I am not sure if Humber is going to even pitch this year. Maybe he will get his shot when the Mets clinch the NL home field advantage. So the last week or two of the season. I am not sure though. I hope Pelfrey is able to come back.

I expect them both to come out of the bullpen at times to rest the big 5. Wagner, Heilman, Mota, Bradford, and Feliciano

Start Humber on Saturday Willie!!

Willie is going to go through a six man rotation... with every Pedro going every 5.

Pedro

Glavine

Trachsel

El Duque

Williams

Perez

Humber, Pelfrey, and Bannister will give our relievers rest.

Willie is going to go through a six man rotation... with every Pedro going every 5.

Pedro

Glavine

Trachsel

El Duque

Williams

Perez

Humber, Pelfrey, and Bannister will give our relievers rest.

Where is John Maine on that list. He is supposed to start friday. Maine definately beats out Williams and Perez. He's much more consistent than Perez, and has more experience than Williams.

Where is John Maine on that list. He is supposed to start friday. Maine definately beats out Williams and Perez. He's much more consistent than Perez, and has more experience than Williams.

I agree... I'd rather have Maine out there then Perez too :(

oops. I'm so used to putting Perez in there... and I havn't seen Maine's last two starts... he totally went through my mind.

Scratch Perez and add Maine... Maine might get a playoff start even.