SportsWrath

Giants News 07/27/2006

NeMesiS

www.northjersey.com

printlogo.gif

5 questions for the Giants

Thursday, July 27, 2006

How improved is the defense?

Most of the off-season additions (LaVar Arrington, Sam Madison, Will Demps, Mathias Kiwanuka, etc.) were geared toward improving that unit.

Is Eli coming?

This is the year quarterback Eli Manning is supposed to blossom into a big-time player.

Who's on the nose?

All the pass rushers in the world won't do any good if you can't stop the run, so finding a couple of nose tackles from among Jonas Seawright, Junior Ioane, Barry Cofield and Damane Duckett is essential.

A placid Plax?

Plaxico Burress basically was a good soldier in Tom Coughlin's army last year until he missed the final team meeting. That raised questions about his attitude.

Can they avoid the year-after jinx?

The previous five times the Giants made the playoffs (1990, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2002), they dropped off significantly the following season.

-- Vinny DiTrani

www.northjersey.com

printlogo.gif

Giants camp at a glance

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Where

University at Albany, Albany, N.Y.

When

First practices are Friday, final practice is Aug. 23 at 11 a.m.

Practice times for Friday and Saturday are 8:40 a.m. and 3:20 p.m. After that, starting times of double sessions will be 8:40 a.m. and 6:10 p.m. Single practice sessions starting at 2:40 p.m. will be held Aug. 1, 3, 7, 9, 13, 15, 19 and 21.

Fan information

Giants Web site is giants.com. Fan hotline is 518-442-7369.

If you go

Admission: Free for all practices, but there is a $5 fee for parking.

Parking: For the entire training camp, parking can be purchased for $15 through the University at Albany Athletic Ticket Office.

Directions

Take New York Thruway (Interstate 87) north to Exit 24. After the toll booths, take Interstate 90 east toward Boston. Take Exit 2 (Washington Avenue), which leads into the University at Albany campus. Follow University Drive (heading south) three-quarters of a mile to Dutch Quad parking lot.

Extra tip

The players will not be on the field Sunday. And don't plan to attend camp Aug. 5, the day reserved in the past for an intrasquad scrimmage or, in the last two summers, a combined practice with the Jets. There will be no workouts that day.

-- Vinny DiTrani

www.northjersey.com

printlogo.gif

Coughlin to supply Giants with plenty of incentive

Thursday, July 27, 2006

By VINNY DiTRANI

STAFF WRITER

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Tom Coughlin has a ready-made answer should his Giants "gearshift slide into idle" during training camp.

"Remember that 17th game last year," the Giants' coach said Wednesday, "and there will be plenty of motivation for us to try to take it up another notch."

That 17th game was the disastrous 23-0 playoff loss to Carolina, ending an otherwise successful season in which the Giants surprisingly won 11 games in capturing the NFC East title. As the players gather today at the University at Albany, the expectations will be high for the 2006 season.

" 'Putting it behind them' is not the way I would phrase it," Coughlin said on how his players should treat the NFC playoff setback. "I would say learn from it, understand it, know what took place and never let it happen again.

"We have a good football team, but there are many teams that have improved in this off-season. So the challenge is great."

The Giants' offense, which scored the second-most points (422) and gained the second-most total yards (5,787) in team history last year, returns intact. In fact, it gains another weapon in second-round draft pick Sinorice Moss.

So the emphasis will be on improving the defense when the practices begin with double sessions Friday. "Obviously we made a lot of changes in the secondary," Coughlin said, "and I'm looking forward to seeing how that particular group is going to come together."

Strong safety Gibril Wilson will be the only returning starter from last year's secondary. Second-year man Corey Webster joins former Dolphin Sam Madison at the corners, while former Raven Will Demps moves in at free safety. The nickel back could be another newcomer, R.W. McQuarters.

The biggest acquisition of the off-season was onetime Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington, who adds size to an otherwise smallish but quick unit. "More than anything," Coughlin said of Arrington's value, "is the physical attitude which he conveys on the field. He's one of those guys who has a smile on his face. He likes football, he loves practicing."

Also joining the defense are top pick Mathias Kiwanuka and third-round linebacker Gerris Wilkinson, giving defensive coordinator Tim Lewis a plethora of talent from which to design. While Lewis has majored in mixing up his packages in the past, he is thinking about keeping it simple this time around.

He's been trying to come up with the motto for his defense this season. It might just be letting his players play, using the available talent to its utmost rather than depending so much on the scheme to disrupt opposing offenses.

The only position open is an important one, nose tackle, because if the Giants can't stop the run, their myriad of pass rushers will be rendered useless. However, Coughlin and Lewis think the answer will emerge from the current roster.

Coughlin says he heard the words "Super Bowl" emanating from some of his players during the off-season. And he thinks that's a good thing – provided the effort, preparation, skill and performance levels coincide with the talk about winning a title.

That was not the case Jan. 8 against Carolina. "It never left my thoughts from the evening after the game," Coughlin said, "and it's not going to change, and I don't want it to. I want to pour a little salt into the wound."

And when will he start pouring that salt onto his players? "It'll probably take me about as long as tomorrow afternoon to mention that," he said Wednesday.

BRIEFS: Coughlin said he expected all seven draft choices to be signed and in camp today. ... Among the veterans who may work on a limited basis early in camp are Arrington (Achilles tendinitis), Demps (knee), OL Lewis Kelly (foot) and -- here's a shocker -- WR Tim Carter (patella tendinitis). ... Guard Chris Snee's second son, Cooper Christopher, was born June 20, making Coughlin a grandfather for the fourth time. ... In their annual softball game, the Giants' coaching staff blasted the media, 18-9, in a contest not as close as the score might indicate.

E-mail: ditrani@northjersey.com

www.thejournalnews.com

tjn_small_logo.gif

Giants' Coughlin to use bad memory as rallying point

By ERNIE PALLADINO

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: July 27, 2006)

ALBANY — His players would not report until this morning, but Tom Coughlin already knew yesterday how he'd keep his Giants motivated during the steamy workouts that lie ahead.

"If under any circumstance should the gearshift slide into idle, I think all we have to do, all of us who bleed Giants blue, is remember that 17th game last year," Coughlin said as he officially opened the Giants' 11th, and his third, training camp at the University at Albany. "That will be plenty of motivation for us to try to take it up another notch."

The 17th game. You remember that, don't you? That 23-0 flopperoo against Wildcard Weekend opponent Carolina?

Apparently, Coughlin and his coaches haven't forgotten that horrendous afternoon in Giants Stadium, either. And they're not about to let their players forget it.

"It never has left my thoughts from the evening after the game,'' Coughlin said. "And it's not going to change, and I don't want it to. I want to pour a little salt into the wound.''

They may not mention it every day. May not send them to bed with tapes of "23-0, 23-0, 23-0" playing in their heads. It may not head up every greaseboard in the meeting rooms. But anyone searching for one unifying coaching theme to this camp should look no further than Jan. 8, 2006.

"It'll probably take me about as long as (this) afternoon to mention that," Coughlin said.

It's how the coaches will couch those references that will determine whether the Giants have truly moved from crushing disappointment to a new season, where arguments rage over whether they, the Cowboys, Eagles or Redskins stand as the class of the NFC East.

"Oh, I'm going to talk about it," defensive coordinator Tim Lewis said. "But I'm like Jack Nicklaus. Somebody once asked him what the most important shot in golf was, and he said, 'The next one.'

"That game's in the past. You learn from it and move on."

Not that the Giants won't have enough on their minds as they hit their initial workouts tomorrow. There are the requisite position battles, the continuing development of Eli Manning, and all those little strategic odds and ends that go into preparation for battling the NFL's toughest-rated schedule of 2006.

If the staff can't get its players' heads out of last season double-quick, the Giants won't have a chance this year.

But they don't want to browbeat the players with bad memories, either.

"You've got one opportunity, and you've got to take advantage of that opportunity," running-backs coach Jerald Ingram said. "That's always gonna stick in your mind.

"But once we start playing, we're not thinking about that. It's in your craw a little bit, but all that matters is, what are you going to do to win that next game? That's all that matters.

"Did you do enough or did you not do enough? Right now in camp, are you ready, are you in shape, are you today getting better for tomorrow to get ready for the season?"

Wide-receivers coach Mike Sullivan will have to straighten out a corps that did next to nothing in the loss to Carolina. And he won't be hesitant about bringing that up to the likes of Plaxico Burress, a zero-catch man that day, or Amani Toomer, or anyone else associated with that fiasco.

"No one was satisfied with how we performed that day," Sullivan said. "If there's a time in practice where it's hot and sticky, and there's a lull of sorts, they just have to remember all we accomplished last year. And then remember that last game."

How painful was it? Suffice it to say that none of the coaches interviewed referred to it as a playoff game. Coughlin never used the word "playoff.'' It was as if they'd never made the postseason.

Just as well. That was then. The Giants have much bigger concerns now than to hash over seven-month-old history.

That doesn't mean there won't be the occasional revisiting. Those who forget history, and all that.

The downfall of the Panthers game will never truly sit in the rearview mirror. Not for another month, at least.

Coughlin won't allow that.

"Putting it behind them is not the way I would phrase it," Coughlin said. "I would say, learn from it, understand it, know what took place, and never let it happen again."

That process starts today.

Notes: The Giants won't have to worry about first-round defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka of Boston College reporting late to camp. He agreed late last night to a five-year deal worth about $6.96 million. The contract is expected to pay him roughly $5 million of guaranteed money. Kiwanuka is expected to sign the contract today when the players report and be on the field tomorrow for the team's first workouts. That means six of the Giants' draft picks have agreed to deals, leaving only seventh-round cornerback Gerrick McPhearson as a question mark. But he is not expected to miss any camp, either. A spokesman for agent Tom Condon said escalators and incentives could increase the contract of Kiwanuka, a 6-foot-5, 260-pound pass rusher, to $10 million. ... Third-round linebacker Gerris Wilkinson agreed to a four-year, $2.2 million deal yesterday afternoon. ... Oft-injured wide receiver Tim Carter has more problems. He'll be limited at least, and could miss the early sessions as he deals with patellar tendinitis. Free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington may also be limited with Achilles' tendinitis. Offensive lineman Lewis Kelly (sprained foot) will also be limited in his workload.

Five questions for Giants training camp

Here are five questions Tom Coughlin will have to have answered in training camp if he expects his team to be ready for the Colts and Peyton Manning on Sept. 10.

1. How patient is Eli Manning?

Questions about that opener against far more established brother Peyton will begin immediately and intensify as Sept. 10 draws near. As if Eli didn't have enough to worry about, his handling of this latest test of his patience will prove whether he's truly unflappable.

2. How much will Tim Lewis yell at LaVar Arrington?

Gauge the defensive coordinator's satisfaction with his new pass-rushing linebacker by that standard. Arrington's reputation as a freelancing maverick didn't bother the staff when GM Ernie Accorsi signed him. But if he takes too many liberties in his responsibilities at strong-side linebacker, it could affect his and defensive end Michael Strahan's effectiveness. In other words, everything in moderation, LaVar.

3. How much does Sam Madison have left?

The freshly stocked secondary has a big question at left corner in the 10th-year veteran Madison. With only two interceptions over his last two seasons, Madison will have to work hard to increase his turnover potential. Otherwise, fans will quickly liken him to his predecessor, Will Allen, a good cover man who couldn't make an interception to save his soul.

4. Who gets that nose-tackle spot?

Jonas Seawright, a 325-pound practice-squad player, made major inroads in mini-camp toward capturing the spot next to William Joseph that came open with Kendrick Clancy's departure. But he'll be pressed hard by Fred Robbins, a veteran who added strength and speed in the offseason, and a good-looking rookie named Barry Cofield. It should be the liveliest competition in camp.

5. Expectations? What expectations?

The expectation that, after an 11-5 playoff season, things should get even better. It seems that whenever hopes are high, the Giants' record goes backward. Everyone will have a good idea coming out of camp what to expect, especially if the injury bug chomps on a key player or two these next four weeks.

Ernie Palladino

Training camp information box

What: Giants training camp

Where: University at Albany

When: First practices are tomorrow, 8:40-10:40 a.m. and 3:20-5:20 p.m. Camp breaks Aug. 23.

Practice schedule: Normal two-a-day sessions will be held from 8:40-10:40 a.m. and 3:20-5:20 a.m. Single afternoon practice days go from 2:40-4:50 p.m. Evening practices go from 6:10-8:10 p.m. All practices are open to the public. Admission is free, and paid parking is available on campus. Fans should check the daily schedule on Giants.com or call the fan information line at 518-442-7369.

Directions: Take I-87 (New York State Thruway) north to Exit 24. After toll booths, proceed to I-90 East toward Boston. Take Exit 2 (Washington Avenue), which leads to the University at Albany campus. Follow University Drive south three-quarters of a mile to the Dutch Quad public parking lot, or a mile to the Giants VIP lot at the Recreation and Convocation Center.

Preseason schedule: Friday, Aug. 11 at Baltimore, 8:15 p.m.; Thursday, Aug. 17 Kansas City, 8 p.m.; Friday, Aug. 25 at Jets, 8 p.m.; Thursday, Aug. 31 New England, 7:30 p.m.

www.thejournalnews.com

tjn_small_logo.gif

Giant bull's-eye for Manning

By ERNIE PALLADINO

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: July 27, 2006)

ALBANY — One way or the other, Eli Manning will have his hands full once practice begins today.

Whether it's that endless stream of questions he's anticipating over the season-opening matchup with his brother Peyton and the Indianapolis Colts, or just working with his receivers to improve as a quarterback, the Giants' third-year player won't lack attention.

Sure, the public unveiling of new sacking linebacker LaVar Arrington, the battle for the open defensive-tackle spot, and the play of a remade secondary might distract fans occasionally. So might the flat-out speed of the receiving corps' newest addition, second-rounder Sinorice Moss.

But Manning will command most of the attention.

He'd like you to think the eyes that dissect his every move at this 11th training camp at the University at Albany won't disturb him. And maybe they won't. Regardless, he'll have to maintain focus if he expects to make people forget about a second half of 2005 that proved anything but star-like, and a 23-0 playoff loss to Carolina that showed him what professional rock-bottom looked like.

"I'm looking forward to it," Manning said. "Getting back to training camp, fixing some things, getting better at a lot of things that need to be worked on. Get all the guys together and get off to a good start."

While he's on the field, safe from those pesky questions about his first-ever matchup with his brother right out of the regular-season box, he'll work on timing and recognition.

Timing, as in getting reacquainted with pout-prone Plaxico Burress, opinionated Jeremy Shockey, and aging Amani Toomer, none of whom practiced with him in the offseason conditioning program.

Recognition, as in getting a better sense of who's open and where the pass rush is coming from. That, according to quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride, became his major downfall last season, not an information overload or the failure to solve defensive disguises.

"His decision-making wasn't going to the wrong guy," Gilbride said. "It's, 'I'm about to be hit; can I really make that 45-yard throw downfield? I know he's open by half a step. Should I throw it, or should I just drop it off?' There were times he was trying to do a little too much and he got hurt by it."

Gilbride said some intensive work in training camp should help Manning gain the consistency he lacked last season, especially in the completion percentage that sat at an anemic 52.8.

"I think he will (improve)," Gilbride said.

No less a Giants quarterback legend than Phil Simms said better times will come for Manning if he smooths out his throwing mechanics.

"You should throw the ball better year after year," Simms said in clipped tones that showed his anger that so many questions center around a quarterback he believes is on the verge of big things. "It's one of those bugaboos of his, that the ball gets away from him sometimes. As the years go by, you gain more control of the football. All quarterbacks get more accurate as time goes on."

As he officially begins his third year in the league, his second full season of starting, Manning will face many of the same challenges he had last training camp. Not the least of which will be renewing his connection with Shockey and further developing what seemed, at the beginning, a blossoming relationship with Burress. That latter soured toward the end of the season when Manning's numbers fell and took Burress' receptions total with it.

"I'll have had enough time with mini-camp and training camp to get together," Manning said of the duo, both of whom chose to do their offseason training in Miami instead of at Giants Stadium. "I've had two seasons with Shockey and one with Plaxico, so we should be on the same page."

It didn't take long for Manning to reconnect with Shockey last year.

Then, however, he wasn't bringing memories of a playoff meltdown into camp. If they haven't shaken that off yet, now is certainly the time to trim off any loose emotional ends.

Better Manning should concentrate on the present. With an offense that returns almost intact, expectations are high.

Thus is Manning's charge for training camp.

"Just because people expect different things of you doesn't mean you can relax," Manning said. "We have to get better in a lot of areas. That's what our goal is."

www.nysportsday.com

Jets And Giants Open Camps

by: Brian Bohl | Staff Writer - NY Sports Day | Thursday, July 27, 2006

Baseball doesn’t begin the stretch drive until September. Hockey and basketball only start practicing in earnest once the summer is over. For sports fan, early August means only one thing outside of worrying about power outages: the commencement of NFL training camps.

Scanning the football landscape in the New York metropolitan area, the Jets and the Giants present an interesting parallel. Big Blue has high expectations of making it to the Super Bowl for the first time since 2000, while Gang Green will look to bounce back from an injury-plagued 4-12 season with an overhauled coaching staff and a younger roster.

The one thing the Jets will know for sure when they take the field at Hofstra University for their first workout Friday is that it will not be business as usual. In an off-season shakeup that saw Herman Edwards bolt down Hempstead Turnpike for the head coaching position in Kansas City, rookie coach Eric Mangini will look to apply the lessons learned as an assistant to Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick.

Mangini, along with first-year general manager Mike Tannenbaum, will get their first chance to see the squad they almost entirely revamped in an off-season salary cap dump. Gone is Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae, who was joined in the winter purge by Ty Law, tackle Jason Fabini, QB Jay Fiedler, and standout defensive lineman John Abraham.

Among the most pressing questions the coaching staff - featuring 13 new members – is how the four-way quarterback competition plays itself out. Chad Pennington is reportedly making good progress on his twice-surgically repaired throwing shoulder.

Pennington has been coming along slowly, but has shown positive signs. He took part in all 12 offseason practices, though he was kept out of specific individual passing sessions. Never known for a strong arm, Pennington has been focusing mostly on short, precession passes during practices.

"I know you guys want to see long balls, but my goal is not to come out here and prove that I can throw the long ball," Pennington said after a June workout. "Am I where I want to be? Absolutely not. My goal is to come back strong for training camp."

He will be in competition with Patrick Ramsey, a former high-round draft pick who failed to live up to expectations in Washington. Second round draft pick Kellen Clemens has received some repetitions with the first team in minicamps. The fourth contestant in what Mangini has described as an open competition is holdover Brooks Bollinger.

Whoever is the quarterback, he should face better protection on the offensive line this year with first round draft choices D’Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold. Curtis Martin will look to benefit from the improved protection as well, as the veteran running back restructured his contract to stay with the team while trying to regain the form that made him a perennial 1,000 yard rusher.

Taking the three hour, 117 mile drive up I-87, the only questions on the minds of the Giants is what will it take to make it to the Super Bowl? When Big Blue opens its 11th training camp at the University at Albany Friday, coach Tom Coughlin will look to take a team that won the NFC East with an 11-5 record to the next level.

Quarterback Eli Manning is entering his third season in the league after showing steady improvement in 2005. After starting as the backup for much of his rookie year, Manning completed 52.8 percent of his passes in his first extensive time as the unquestioned starter.

While the 25-year-old passer looks to improve on his accuracy, the fate of the Giants still hinges on how productive Tiki Barber can be coming off a career-best 1,860 rushing yards last season. Should he put up similar numbers, his pre-camp talk about making the Super Bowl will be more than just summertime optimism.

"We have the ingredients," Coughlin said. "Now, our players – in the next five weeks – they have to be sure that they pay the price in order that we will have the opportunity to meet the high level of expectations that I have for this team. And naturally, people have to perform. It is a performance-rewarding profession."

Injuries helped derail the Giants in the playoffs last year, as Carolina posted a 23-0 drubbing on the home team in a wild-card contest. Nearly seven months later, the linebacking unit is back to full strength with the return Antonio Pierce and Carlos Emmons. In one of the more surprising off-season moves, former Redskins star linebacker LaVar Arrington bolted Washington for the Meadowlands, joining Brandon Short as the team’s top two free-agent acquisitions.

With improved health and upgrades on the defense, Barber is optimistic his team will be playing in Miami for the Lombardi Trophy this winter.

"I think we have to talk about the Super Bowl," Barber said to reporters in Albany. "One of our downfalls last season is that we set our goals too low. We had the goals of restoring Giant pride and becoming a playoff team, which we did to the utmost. But it's almost as if once we achieved them, we didn't have the mentality of getting to the next level, which is the Super Bowl."

www.nydailynews.com

New York Daily News -

Tom accentuates negative

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, July 27th, 2006

ALBANY - It has been exactly 200 days since the Giants embarrassed themselves in their lone playoff game last season. The wound, Tom Coughlin said, is still open.

And as the Giants' coach officially opened training camp yesterday morning, he insisted that's the way he wants it to stay.

"(The 23-0 loss to Carolina) has never left my thoughts from the evening after the game, and it's not going to change," Coughlin said yesterday at the University at Albany. "I don't want it to. I want to pour a little salt into the wound."

He will begin doing that today, when the 2006 Giants are due to report to camp. Coughlin figures he'll bring up that playoff disaster in his first speech to the full team. And it won't be the last time he mentions what happened that day.

The plan, Coughlin said, is to use the embarrassing effort as motivation to make sure the defending NFC East champions take nothing for granted. And he wants to use that game as a tool for showing how far the Giants still have to go before reaching their ultimate goal.

"'Putting it behind them' is not the way I would phrase it," Coughlin said. "I would say, 'Learn from it, understand it, know what took place and never let it happen again.'

"And if, under any circumstance, should the gearshift slide into idle, I think all we have to do, all of us who bleed Giant blue, is remember that 17th game last year, and there will be plenty of motivation for us to try to take it up another notch."

That, of course, is easier said than done. Remember, the 2003 Giants tried to use their 2002 playoff collapse in San Francisco as motivation to continue their Super Bowl dreams. Instead that team deteriorated into a 4-12 mess that eventually led to the arrival of Coughlin and his staff.

That message has been loud and clear to Coughlin's assistants over the last few days in their pre-camp meetings. They understand the theme of camp will be remembering that "17th game."

"Everyone talks about that 17th game, so it's there," offensive coordinator John Hufnagel said. "But as I always say, the best way to get the bad taste out of your mouth of a loss is to get back onto the field and win. And when you lose that last game, it's a long time."

On the bright side, the Giants will have just about everyone back from their 11-5 team of last year, plus a revamped secondary, new linebacker LaVar Arrington and a healthy Antonio Pierce. The down side, Coughlin admitted, is a much-improved division and a schedule that is "second to none" in difficulty.

Still, Coughlin wasn't eager to duck the Super Bowl expectations that will accompany his players to camp when they report this morning. He just wants them to remember how difficult reaching that goal really is.

"Everyone says they want to win a Super Bowl," Coughlin said. "But who is going to match that lofty goal with the effort and intensity that's needed to compete at that level? That's the challenge we will put forth to our football team."

notebook.gif

TOP PICK AGREES: DE Mathias Kiwanuka, the Giants' first-round pick, agreed to terms on a five-year contract worth nearly $7 million late last night, according to sources. That should mean no holdouts when players report to camp today. LB Gerris Wilkinson (third round) signed a four-year deal worth about $2.2 million. LT Guy Whimper (fourth) agreed to terms, too, and CB Gerrick McPhearson (seventh) was believed to be close. . . . Injury-prone WR Tim Carter is already suffering from patella tendinitis. He and Arrington (Achilles tendinitis) may be limited early in camp.

www.nypost.com

newyorkpost_oe3.gif

A BLESSING IN DISGRACE

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

July 27, 2006 -- ALBANY - The clock hasn't even started ticking here at training camp, but when it does, when the dog days kick in and the heat and humidity rise, when muscles ache and the mind wanders, there will be a simple antidote for the Big Blue blues.

Tom Coughlin will lay it out there, a Remember the Fiasco rallying cry that he insists will snap the Giants back to attention.

He won't stick in the tape of the 23-0 playoff loss to the Panthers. Won't have to. No one who was on the field for that embarrassing debacle will forget the way the Giants spoiled a season of rebirth with a deathly final act.

"If under any circumstance should the gearshift slide into 'idle,' I think all we have to do, all of us who bleed Giant blue, is remember that 17th game last year," Coughlin said, "and there will be plenty of motivation for us to try to take it up another notch."

The Giants have turned the page on that astonishingly bad postseason performance but haven't burned the book. To the contrary, they want to use it as motivational fodder. Asked if he still thinks about that stinker of a game, Coughlin said, "It never has left my thoughts from the evening after the game, and it's not going to change, and I don't want it to. I want to pour a little salt into the wound."

The theme of redemption is one Coughlin will hit hard and heavy starting today, when all players are required to report to training camp. Rarely is the expectation level as high as it is for the Giants, who have every weapon returning on offense and a bevy of pass-rushers on defense, but also what's been deemed the most difficult schedule in the NFL.

Still, prominent players such as Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan have staunchly declared the Giants are Super Bowl contenders, a lofty claim that did not make the head coach cringe.

"If the effort, the preparation, the skill and the performance-level parallels talking about the world championship, then I think that's a good thing," Coughlin said.

DE Mathias Kiwanuka, the first-round draft pick from Boston College, late last night agreed to terms on a five-year, $6.96 million contract that will be signed today, allowing Kiwanuka to make it to camp before the 1 p.m. reporting deadline. The deal includes as much as $5 million in guaranteed money. Six draft picks have signed, with only Guy Whimper, a fourth-round offensive tackle, not yet in the fold.

Of all the areas he'll evaluate over the next month, the one Coughlin said he's most curious about is the revamped secondary. "We've made a lot of changes and I'm looking forward to seeing how that particular group is going to come together," he said.

A few players will be monitored once practice starts tomorrow, most notably new LB LaVar Arrington, who was slowed during the spring mini-camp with tendinitis in his knee and Achilles' tendon. Also, WR Tim Carter has what Coughlin called patellar tendinitis. If he misses any practice time, it will open the door even wider for rookie Sinorice Moss to claim the No. 3 receiver job. "Apparently there is some type of situation that is going to prevent him from being up to full speed initially," receivers coach Mike Sullivan said of Carter.

paul.schwartz@nypost.com

www.newsday.com

GIANTS TRAINING CAMP

Thinking big

Super Bowl talk OK with Coughlin if Giants are willing to back it up

BY ARTHUR STAPLE

Newsday Staff Correspondent

July 27, 2006

ALBANY - Tom Coughlin isn't afraid to talk about the Super Bowl. He hopes his players aren't afraid of the work it will take to get there.

"If you're going to talk about the Super Bowl, what has to accompany that is the idea that our thinking, our maturity, our team unity, our singleness of purpose, all have to be at the championship level," the Giants coach said yesterday during his opening news conference of training camp. "Let's face it, we've got to become a good football team right now."

Coughlin's players report today, and the mindset will be vastly different from when they showed up at the University of Albany a year ago. Coming off a 6-10 season in 2004 and with a second-year starting quarterback, the challenge was to compete; the 2005 Giants did that and then some, winning the NFC East at 11-5.

They did more addition than subtraction in the offseason, signing linebacker LaVar Arrington, safety Will Demps and cornerback Sam Madison and drafting wide receiver Sinorice Moss, who signed a four-year, $3.51-million deal Tuesday. So the Giants are in position to back up Tiki Barber's Super Bowl talk, and he's sure not to be alone.

But the Giants have a first-place schedule, starting with the Colts at home Sept. 10, and then they play four of the next five on the road. The next six weeks are not designed for Coughlin and his staff to find out what they have; this training camp is for molding a team into championship contention right off the bat.

What can drive them, according to Coughlin, is what they remember from Jan. 8. He referred to the 23-0 playoff debacle against Carolina at Giants Stadium as the "17th game" of the season, which undid much of what the team accomplished during the regular season.

"It'll probably take me about as long as [this] afternoon to mention that [game]," Coughlin said, adding it will take until afternoon only because the players don't meet as a team until then.

"It never has left my thoughts from the evening after the game, and it's not going to change, and I don't want it to. I want to pour a little salt into the wound."

When the entire training-camp roster assembles today, Coughlin will remind the Giants that Super Bowl XLI can be discussed openly, as long as the work goes with it.

Top pick to sign. The Giants agreed to terms last night with their first-round pick, DE Mathias Kiwanuka, Newsday has learned. He is expected to sign a five-year, $6.96-million contract today and be ready for practice tomorrow. Third-round LB Gerris Wilkinson signed a four-year, $2.2-million deal.

5 questions for the Giants

1. Can Eli Manning keep improving?

Tom Coughlin noted that he was asked this question for the "9,733rd time" yesterday. He also noted that his third-year QB had the best attendance of any Giant for offseason workouts and spent hours going over film with QB coach Kevin Gilbride and offensive coordinator John Hufnagel. "He wants to be good and he's willing to pay the price to be good," Coughlin said.

2. Which LaVar Arrington will the Giants see - the Pro Bowl linebacker or the oft-injured malcontent?

So far, it's the former. Arrington's passion for the game is what Coughlin and defensive coordinator Tim Lewis have seen. But his Achilles tendinitis has already been mentioned and he might not be able to go two-a-days yet, which isn't a good sign.

3. Will there be any battles for starting spots?

Yes, mostly on defense. As it was a year ago, the nose tackle slot is very much up in the air. If Damane Duckett, Jonas Seawright or Barry Cofield seizes the position the way Kendrick Clancy did last year, the Giants should consider themselves lucky. William Joseph and Fred Robbins will likely vie for the other tackle slot, and occasional starter Reggie Torbor could provide a challenge for Carlos Emmons at weak-side linebacker.

4. Is Plaxico Burress back to being a good soldier?

In his mind, he never stopped being one, which is probably a good thing. He seems to need a chip on his shoulder to succeed, and if blowing off steam because he feels left out of the offense is what he has to do, Coughlin may not mind having such an independent player on his team. But the Giants have rookie Sinorice Moss to add a speedy wrinkle to the passing game, so Burress had better be content with fewer plays called for him.

5. Will the new secondary jell in time to start the season strong?

Tim Lewis already has plenty of new schemes in mind for his stronger group in the defensive backfield. Holding out safety Will Demps from two-a-days at the start because of his January knee surgery should not have a negative impact. The one who may make or break the projected starting group is Corey Webster, who has a lot to learn and improve upon from his rookie season.

Training camp guide

Where: University of Albany

When: First practice is tomorrow at 8:40 a.m., followed by a 3:20 p.m. workout. The same schedule for Saturday, then on Monday the second practice begins at 6:10; two-practice days alternate with one-practice days, which begin at 2:40. All workouts are open to the public.

Cost: Practices are free to watch; parking is $5.

Fan Info Line: Call (518) 442-7369 for updates on practice times and special events.

Preseason schedule:

Aug. 11 at Ravens 8 p.m.

Aug. 17 vs. Chiefs 8 p.m.

Aug. 25 vs. Jets 8 p.m.

Aug. 31 vs. Patriots 8 p.m.

BIG BLUE ON THE WEB

Get more on the Giants, including a slideshow recap of the 2005 season, a message board where you can interact with other fans, and a chance to vote on the biggest issue facing the team as training camp begins at

newsday.com/sports.

Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

www.courant.coml

Playoff Loss Is All Motivation Coughlin Needs

By JOHN ALTAVILLA

Courant Staff Writer

July 27 2006

ALBANY -- On the first day of training camp, Giants coach Tom Coughlin pronounced his team fit and ready for the 2006 season.

He did so with great energy and a smile he hopes won't fade once his team reports today and begins practice with a double-session Friday. He also did so with a reminder.

"Our goal and objective is to apply our skills and abilities to encourage our players to have great purpose in everything we do to improve ourselves," Coughlin said. "And then should the gear shift ever slide into idle, I think all anyone wearing Giants blue needs to do is remember the 17th game of last season. That should be plenty of motivation to take it up another notch."

The Giants were one of the NFL's surprise teams in 2005, turning training camp pessimism into an NFC East title.

Then injuries began to decimate their defense, particularly at linebacker. Along with a shaky game from quarterback Eli Manning, it contributed to a 23-0 loss to the Panthers in the first round of the playoffs at Giants Stadium.

"It will take me only as long as tomorrow afternoon [at the first team meeting] for me to mention it," Coughlin said. "And that's only because I won't see them in the morning. The feeling of that game has never left me. And it won't.

"I want to pour salt into the wounds every time I get the chance."

Coughlin seems encouraged by the work done by the personnel department to improve the team and knows some of his veteran players have hinted about Super Bowl potential.

"If you are going to talk about the Super Bowl, what has to follow is that our maturity, team unity and the way all of us go about our business needs to be at the championship level," Coughlin said. "If it does, that will be a good thing. We have a tough schedule [the NFL's No. 1 in opponents' strength] and a tough start [Colts at home, Eagles and Seahawks on the road]. But if you want to be the best, you have to beat them."

Cornerback Sam Madison, linebacker LaVar Arrington and safety Will Demps were signed to help solidify the back seven. Defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka and linebacker Gerris Wilkinson were drafted in the first three rounds to enhance depth andthe pass rush.

And on offense, second-round pick Sinorice Moss of Miami is expected to add elusiveness at receiver that will make Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer and Jeremy Shockey more formidable down field.

The first step is getting everyone in camp. Moss, Wilkinson, defensive tackle Barry Cofield, offensive lineman Guy Whimper and safety Charlie Peprah have agreed to deals. Moss signed a four-year deal for $3.5 million, including $1.9 million guaranteed. He is represented by Drew Rosenhaus, who has Shockey, Antonio Pierce and Burress as clients.

Kiwanuka, the first-round pick from Boston College, is represented by Tom Condon, the former Notre Dame-West Haven football standout, who is also Manning's agent. Seventh-round pick Gerrick McPhearson, a defensive back, also remains unsigned. ... Arrington (Achilles' tendinitis) and receiver Tim Carter (patella tendinitis) will be carefully monitored during the first week of camp. Coughlin said all others, including Demps (knee), are ready to participate at full strength beginning Friday.

Contact John Altavilla at jaltavilla@courant.com

www.indystar.com

nav_logo.gif

nfl

Eli Manning ready to begin a new year

Giants, QB open camp today amid questions about Eli-Peyton matchup in season opener

By Ernie Palladino

The (Westchester, (N.Y.) Journal News

ALBANY, N.Y. -- One way or the other, Eli Manning will have his hands full once the New York Giants begin practice today.

Whether it's that endless stream of questions he's anticipating over the season-opening matchup Sept. 10 with his brother Peyton and the Indianapolis Colts, or just working with his receivers to improve as a passer, the Giants quarterback won't lack attention.

Sure, the public unveiling of new sacking linebacker LaVar Arrington, the battle for the open defensive tackle spot, and the play of a remade secondary might distract fans occasionally. So might the flat-out speed of the receiving corps' newest addition, second-round draft pick Sinorice Moss.

But Manning will command most of the attention.

He'd like you to think the eyes that dissect his every move won't disturb him. And maybe they won't. Regardless, he'll have to maintain focus if he expects to make people forget about a second half of 2005 that proved anything but starlike, and a 23-0 playoff loss to Carolina that showed him what professional rock-bottom looked like.

"I'm looking forward to it," Manning said. "Getting back to training camp, fixing some things, getting better at a lot of things that need to be worked on. Get all the guys together and get off to a good start."

While he's on the field, he'll work on timing and recognition.

Timing, as in getting reacquainted with pout-prone Plaxico Burress, opinionated Jeremy Shockey and aging Amani Toomer, none of whom practiced with him in the offseason conditioning program.

Recognition, as in getting a better sense of who's open and where the pass rush is coming from. That, according to quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride, became his major downfall last season, not an information overload or the failure to solve defensive disguises.

"His decision-making wasn't going to the wrong guy," Gilbride said.

Gilbride said some intensive work in training camp should help Manning gain the consistency he lacked last season, especially in the completion percentage that sat at an anemic 52.8.

"I think he will (improve)," Gilbride said.

No less a Giants quarterback legend than Phil Simms said better times will come for Manning if he smoothes out his throwing mechanics.

"You should throw the ball better year after year," Simms said in clipped tones that showed his anger that so many questions center on a quarterback he believes is on the verge of big things. "It's one of those bugaboos of his, that the ball gets away from him sometimes. As the years go by, you gain more control of the football. All quarterbacks get more accurate as time goes on."

As he officially begins his third year in the league, his second full season of starting, Manning will face many of the same challenges he had last training camp. Not the least of which will be renewing his connection with Shockey and further developing what seemed, at the beginning, a blossoming relationship with Burress. That latter soured toward the end of the season when Manning's numbers fell and took Burress' receptions total with it.

"I'll have had enough time with minicamp and training camp to get together," Manning said of the duo, both of whom chose to do their offseason training in Miami instead of at Giants Stadium.

http://www.nj.com/giants/

starledger.gif

Burning loss lights Coughlin's fire

Thursday, July 27, 2006

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

ALBANY, N.Y. -- On the first day of Giants training camp, Tom Coughlin was part-coach, part-masochist.

First, he identified this week as the beginning of the 2006 season and the first chance for the team to start having "greater purpose in everything we do."

Then, he mentioned the words "world championship" and "Super Bowl" as the Giants' goal.

Finally, when asked if he is still thinking about January's 23-0 playoff loss to the Panthers -- the disappointing end to a surprisingly successful season -- the devout Catholic revealed he continues to serve his penance by mentally flogging himself for his part in an embarrassing defeat at home.

"It never has left my thoughts from the evening after the game. It's not going to change and I don't want it to," Coughlin said in his camp-opening press conference at the University at Albany. "I want to pour a little salt in the wound."

Coughlin doesn't want the sores to heal, nor does he want to forget the mental anguish he felt walking off the field on Jan. 8. And chances are, for the next month, he will continue picking at the scabs the rest of the team still carries.

In fact, Coughlin said it will take him "about as long as (this) afternoon to mention (the loss to the Panthers)." He would speak about it sooner, but "I don't see (the players) in the morning."

For the players who will arrive and move into their dorm rooms today, Coughlin's comments might be a sign the most intense training camp of the coach's three-year reign is about to begin. With expectations high, talent all over the roster and the NFL's average window of opportunity lasting only a few seasons, the general knows he must push his troops to improve now -- before it's too late.

"(If) under any circumstance, should the gearshift slide into idle, I think all we have to do -- all of us who bleed Giant blue -- is remember that 17th game last year," Coughlin said. "And that will be plenty of motivation for us to try to take it up another notch."

Coughlin routinely uses euphemisms and tries to subconsciously provide positive reinforcement when speaking to his players. For example, instead of referring to the area inside the opponent's 20-yard line as the "red zone," Coughlin prefers to paint it "green," as in "go." So it was little surprise yesterday when he referred to the loss to Carolina as the "17th game" instead of "the playoff game." It's appears he's trying to downplay the significance of the loss from a postseason defeat to simply the last game they played.

But it was a game in which the Giants played poorly. And that's something Coughlin will not let his team forget until they take the field on opening day.

"The best way to get the bad taste out of your mouth is to get back on the field, get better as an offense, get better as a football team and start winning games," offensive coordinator John Hufnagel said.

But according to Coughlin, it also means remembering the cliché that you're only as good as your last game.

"'Putting (the loss) behind them' is not the way I would phrase it. I would say, 'Learn from it, understand it, know what took place and never let it happen again.'"

Notes: DE Mathias Kiwanuka, the Giants' first-round pick, agreed to terms on a five-year contract last night, according to one of his agents, Andrew Kessler. The deal can be worth up to $10 million, said Kessler, and includes $5 million in guarantees. Kiwanuka is expected to report to camp in time for the first practice tomorrow ... LB Gerris Wilkinson, the team's third-round pick, agreed to terms on a four-year, $2.2-million contract, his agent, Kenny Zuckerman said yesterday. ...

Coughlin mentioned a few players who might be limited in camp: LB LaVar Arrington, WR Tim Carter and TE Visanthe Shiancoe are all suffering from tendinitis, OL Lewis Kelly has a sprained foot and S Will Demps is recovering from knee surgery.

© 2006 The Star Ledger

© 2006 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

www.nj.com/giants

starledger.gif

Wilkinson agrees to 4-year deal

Thursday, July 27, 2006

By Mike Garafolo

Star-Ledger Staff

Giants LB Gerris Wilkinson agreed to a four-year, $2.2-million contract this morning, according to his agent, Kenny Zuckerman. Wilkinson, the team's third-round draft choice from Georgia Tech, can play all three LB positions and could push for some playing time at the weak-side this season.

Wilkinson will report to the University at Albany tomorrow when all players are scheduled to arrive. The Giants have agreed to contracts with most of their picks and hope to sign DE Mathias Kiwanuka, their first-round pick, before practices begin on Friday.

www.realfootball365.com/nfl

Fantasy Football: Top Kickers

By Craig Arnold on July 27, 2006 12:00 AM

4. JAY FEELY

Feely had a great season in 2005, making 35-of-42 field goals and a total of 43 PAT's. The Giants' offense is vastly improved, which means counting out Feely continuing the same success in 2006 is unwise.

Draft Round Estimate: 9th-10th Round

Coach Transcrips from Giants.com

Tim Lewis

Transcript: Defensive Coordinator Tim Lewis

JULY 26, 2006

Q: Do you think you have the tools that you need?

A: We’ll see. The games will always prove all of that.

Q: You have to be excited about coaching this defensive team.

A: I am. I am. I’m thrilled about working with the guys that we’ve got. We’ve got a nice group of guys. They’re great competitors. We’ve got a lot of competitors. We’ve got a lot of talent. We’ve got a great young group. We’ve got a good mixture of youth and experience. So, I’m excited about working with them.

Q: Would it be true to say you’re up late at night, can’t sleep, trying to figure out ways to utilize all these guys?

A: Yeah, that would be a true statement. I was up pretty late last night actually organizing my room up here and just trying to get ready, just trying to figure out the theme, the motto. That’s always a challenge.

Q: What is the theme?

A: I’m still working on it. Something will hit me. I have a couple in mind, but I have to figure out which one I’ll go with.

Q: I know you were together in the spring, but how important is training camp now to get everyone on the same page, especially with so many new faces?

A: Well, training camp is where you build your character. You try to develop team chemistry, your fiber if you will. You try to put together on a daily basis that toughness, the adversity that they are going to have to fight through, the temperature, the grueling regiment. They are going to have to work through some things and that’s where we are going to develop all the things that will hopefully carry us throughout the year.

Q: What are your impressions of LaVar been?

A: Oh, fantastic. Great athlete, good person, student of the game. Yeah, looking forward to working with him.

Q: He and Antonio are obviously friends. How will that help them get accustomed to the Giants?

A: Antonio is a bit of a calming presence for him. So, having him next to him, lined up next to him all the time is great. Some of the things and nuances of playing the position that coaches can’t impart on a player, players can get other players to understand. He will be able to do that for us.

Q: How good can this defense be?

A: We’ll see. I’ll talk to you in January or February.

Q: Coach, everybody is talking about that linebacking core and that defensive line up there. How much of an impact will Sam Madison be?

A: Well, if we can get those guys to rush better, Sam will have a great year. I don’t know. We’ll see. All those things, all those questions about how well someone will play and how good the defense will be will be answered by the end of the year.

Q: Sounds like that’s going to be a philosophy: try to get as much pressure on the quarterback to help those guys back there, because they struggled last year.

A: Yeah, it all starts up there. It really does. Obviously you got to play well in the secondary. You got to be able to cover somebody, but we’ve got some people that can rush some passes and we’ve got to get them to move as fast as they can.

Q: Can Osi take another step forward from what he did last year, take it up a notch?

A: Yeah, yeah I would say that all of us can. I can call the game better. The head coach can coach better. All of us can coach better. All of us can work better. You can report better. We’re all looking to get better every year. That’s what we are here for. If we can’t, then we shouldn’t be in any business.

Q: My point is that he was in the Pro-Bowl and had a fantastic year, is there still a lot for him to do?

A: Absolutely, absolutely.

Q: What about Demps? Obviously, he had a great year last year until he got hurt. You really haven’t had that kind of safety who is physical around here in awhile. Can he bring that to the table?

A: You know one of the best things he does is tackle. You hit the nail on the head. You obviously watched him. He is a physical guy. He didn’t get credit for it a lot of the times, but he is a tough guy. I’m excited about watching him play too.

Q: What do you expect out of Mathias?

A: Mathias? Just like everyone else: come in and contribute, come in and help us win football games.

Q: Does he understand that though? I mean, he’s a rookie coming in and how do you impart that?

A: Oh, he’s been playing football for a long time. I mean, it’s the same thing at Boston College: play football, that’s what players do. They play and they understand what their role is and we clearly define this role and we expect them to play. They expect it from themselves.

Bill Sheridan

Transcript: Linebackers Coach Bill Sheridan

July 26, 2006

Q: How was your second half of the season, and what was your reaction when you were in your office and the word came that you were going to get an all-pro like Arrington on your corp.?

A: A year ago things went down hill the last half of the season, when we were really banged up. I take a lot of the leads from the way Tim Lewis approached the whole thing, him having been in the league for as long as he has. It’s the nature of the game, guys get hurt, you can self pity, and whoa is me, and piss and moan, and complain about it, and all that, but that’s not going to change anything and the reality of it is, that you’re so busy just getting ready for the next game, it is a bit of just who’s the next guy, put him in there and get him coached up, and if you have to come in at 6:30 in the morning and meet with him for an extra hour before the 7:30 meeting and get him oiled up, you just do it. Your trying to figure out where your going to put that kid not only in a position where he hopefully doesn’t hurt you and hopefully put him in a position where he can succeed and have some success on Sunday. Like I said, I take my leads from Tim Lewis, and he just does a great job with that, it’s very matter of fact. There’s no time to be saying oh my gosh, who’s going to play. It’s just next guy, he’s up, meet with him in the morning if you have to, we’ll trim the game plan, or add this or that to the game plan, so that kid has some success and can function out there on Sunday, and with maybe only a four day practice week ahead of him. The second question, it’s very exciting. My hat goes off to guys like Ernie Accorsi, Jerry Reese, and Dave Gettleman. The one thing they’ve done, in the short time I’ve been here, is they are always very pro-active in getting players in here. They don’t sit back. My impression is that the Giants have always won, they expect to win, and they’re not going to sit back. They go get players, whether it’s in the draft or free agency, especially in the linebacker position. They went and got Pierce a year ago, and now they went and got Arrington. It’s very exciting to know that you’re in a franchise that expects to win and acts accordingly to go get players that will put you in the position to win, so it’s very exciting, it’s great.

Q: Do you have to trim the game plan like you did last year? Is it kind of buddy-buddy, like we can do this, or we can’t do this.

A; Honestly, we probably joke about the other thing because what happens is, when you have good veteran players, you probably tend to do too much because you can, because they can handle it. You maybe have a couple more pressures then you really need to or that you’re even going to call. These guys can handle it mentally, and they can rep it out with only a few reps in practice, so maybe you have more in. Where as if you’re playing younger players you are forced to trim, it actually refreshes, and cleans up the game plan, and your practices end up being a lot cleaner and simpler. Your performance on Sunday sometimes is better because of it. Granted you have to have an answer for the offensive side of the ball. If you’re getting the game plan you anticipated from the offense then chances are your own players will perform better. We joke about that, and at the end of the year some of our game plans are reduced from the norm, sometimes you play better that way. So it’s not a concern, you always make sure you have enough.

Q: What’s it like for an assistant coach to deal with a player like Arrington with his profile, he’s an intimidating all-pro player, he’s got quit a reputation, he’s coming into a new organization? How do you approach a guy with that kind of rep and try to get the same level?

A: I think you need to go back a little bit for me to answer the question. Like when he came in for his free agent visit, he came in for a couple of days with his family. We probably talked for over an hour, we had breakfast in the morning, and probably talked for over an hour. He shared with me, and gave me insight to what happened in his past, and what he was looking for, because at that time he wasn’t sure of what club he was going to go to. I really just listened and got a feel for what he was like and what was important to him and what it transpired in the last couple of years. The other thing, Antonio Pierce and him have a great trust level. So Antonio, having been here for a year, at least had a certain level of trust with me, being his position coach just for one year. I think he assured LaVar that at least on principal I was a straight shooter and my intentions were good, I had no hidden agendas or any of that stuff. I think that helped coming in, that LaVar came in giving me the benefit of the doubt just coming in the door. He had no reason to think that our relationship wasn’t going to be good, wasn’t going to be outstanding, wasn’t going to be trustworthy, wasn’t going to be I’m going to try and help him and I know he’s going to try and help the Giants. The other thing is when he does get here you don’t really treat him differently than any other player and he doesn’t expect to be treated any differently then anybody else. He’s a regular guy, stand-up guy, speaks his mind. He listens, he wants to be coached, he’s actually great to be around. He’s got a good personality, he’s lively, he’s got a funny personality, no problem speaking up. He’s a great disposition to be around so it’s not an issue at all. And again I credit a lot of that to Antonio being in my corner somewhat, just telling him that there will be no problems playing for Bill, he’s a standup guy. I’m hoping that’s the case anyways and it hasn’t been an issue at all.

Q: When he [Arrington] was signed, there was some confusion about weak side linebacker, who’s going to play weak side linebacker. Why did you leave him there, what’s the difference between weak and strong side?

A: In defensive football, you have to give each position a name, like corner, safety, mike linebacker, three technique, one technique. So for our two outside linebackers, we just don’t call them left and right, because we flip flop them. We have to call one a will and one a sam and going into camp we’re lining up LaVar as the sam. Most people when they hear that, they think of sam being a strong side, more tight end side, and up on the line of scrimmage all the time. There’s no doubt that LaVar will do all of those things, but in Tim’s defense there is so much flexibility, and such a multiple front defense, that you’ll see him in the first three days of practice lined up to the tight end side, lined up to the split end side, he’ll be lined up to what we call the formation strength, he’ll be lined up to the weak side of the formation. So there’s nothing to say well he’s the sam and why are you playing here because he’s going to be lining up here and doing these things. That’s not the case at all, him and Carlos [Emmons] will be doing very similar things. Obviously everybody’s aware of LaVar’s ability to rush the passer and we want to at least put him in a position where he is at least a threat to do that. To say he’s the sam and he’s only going to be doing these limited things and Carlos’ position as a will is going to be dramatically different, it’s not. We still refer to them as the two outside linebackers.

Mike Waufle

Transcript: Defensive Line Coach Mike Waufle

July 26, 2006

RE: Defensive tackle position being the biggest question on the team

A: It’s easy to say that about that position because we lost Clancy. A year ago this time it was the same question. And it is a big question in my mind. The thing I am encouraged about is that there are some candidates. I’m encouraged with the numbers that we do have in there with their physical abilities and their learning abilities. You know there’s some things they showed promise wise and now we got to put the pads on and see what they can do.

A: The thing with Jonas is that he has improved himself physically. He has shown some abilities in a short period of time but I want to see it with the pads on. That’s the true test. Then I want to see it with the better opponents as he goes in to the preseason and watch that development. There a lot of factors that make up the equation as you take a young player. There are a lot of young guys that make up the defensive line who really are still rookies even though they are first year players. So watching their development over the next month is going to be exciting to see how far we can take this.

Q: Although you have a young line, do you think they can stop the run down the middle? Will they be able to put the pressure on?

A: That is what we are going to try to develop. You have to stop the run first, that’s the heart and soul out of an offense, it makes them one dimensional. And that’s Tim’s defense, that’s the way it was designed and that’s what we teach. We got some good candidates and I am excited to see how far we can take it. There are some guys who can really play that position and we can just watch how they develop. I worked in construction a lot when I was young so you have to put the foundation down, now we have to start framing the house, then put the roof on it, pluming, electrical and keep building it. I try to take it one step at a time when we are done we move on. We do work with the unit. There is some toughness here that’s why I like it. You ask me about Jonas and I think he is a big tough guy. Big and strong physically but there’s a mental aspect of it and I think he’s got it but so do some of the others guys. It’s going to be good. It’s going to be a good competition. You get to see who is going to rise to the top. It should be fun.

Q: Two years ago Duckett you saw him play that last game, and last year he kind of fell off?

A: The things that happen in that game is he did play outstanding. He did have some good play this spring so there’s been a little more life in his game so we’ll see how far he takes it.

Q: So there are four guys?

A: Yes but there’s a good group of 7 guys who are competing. But they are interchangeable now.

Q: Is it fair to have such high expectations for Mathias Kiwanuka?

A: Yes, I think so. I was surprised when Justin Tuck came along last year and they remind me a lot of each other. Because they both are smart and they have what I call coachabilty because you can teach something to them or show it on tape and bam they can do it on the field. You should just let player play sometimes.

John Hufnagel

Transcript: Offensive Coordinator John Hufnagel

July 26, 2006

Q: Can you compare Eli to anybody that maybe you’ve seen in the past?

A: No I’m really not into comparing people or players. I just know that Eli works very, very hard to become the best player he can be.

Q: Coach Coughlin said that Eli has been to more off-season sessions than anybody, watched more tape than anybody and you were a quarterback. For a young quarterback, how important is that?

A: It’s very important. You have to understand that each and every day you go onto the practice field it is an experience to learn and gather information. You know, in the off-season, learn about the opponents that you are playing, the DB’s their tendencies their weaknesses and he’s very good at it. He has a very, very good memory, a great memory. So, the things that he retains, it will come up sometime in the future and will make a play for us in the game.

Q: What does Moss add to this offense?

A: Well, he did a nice job for us in the spring. We’re looking for great competition from him and everybody, all of the other receivers at training camp. Hopefully his elusiveness and quickness will be part of the offense that we use.

Q: Is it overrated how much a quarterback throws with his wide receivers during the off-season?

A: I’m not going to say it’s overrated. I think that the more you have the ability to do it, it will pay off for you at some point in time in the season.

Q: Coach Coughlin talked about the excitement, from an offensive standpoint, these guys are now together for another year: Jeremy Shockey is obviously a good player, and Plaxico Burress is pro-bowl caliber. As an offensive coordinator, how excited are you?

A: I think if you go back to the same time last year, we were looking forward to taking a big step offensively and team-wise and we did that. Now, just as Tom said in his press conference, we need to take another step, a bigger step. We need to come into this camp understanding that what we accomplished last year is over. We need to get back to hard work and know what we can accomplish and let’s go get more. We got to get more.

Q: Coach seems to be using that 17th game as motivation. Is that something that he’s talked with the coaching staff about, in terms of really letting the guys know?

A: I think that everyone talks about that 17th game. So, I mean, it’s there. It wasn’t a good offensive outing for us. That’s part of the concept of being more consistent and playing through difficult times.

Q: How much does that weigh on your mind, that game, in terms of motivating you?

A: Well, it definitely does. As I always say that best way to get the bad taste out of your mouth of a loss is to get back onto the field and win and when you lose that last game it’s a long time. So, we’re anxious to get back on the field and get better as an offense, get better as a football team and start winning football games.

Tom Coughlin

TRANSCRIPT: COACH TOM COUGHLIN

July 26, 2006

Opening Statement: We’re excited about the start of our third camp, or my third camp, and for the opportunity to be here again. I think the one thing that I would say, and then I’ll field all of the questions that you have, is it’s always a real pleasure to come some place where people are genuinely friendly and enjoy having you here, and that’s the feeling that I have each time that we come to the University at Albany. The preparation has been outstanding. The fields look to be in excellent shape. We’ve gone through the locker rooms and into the offices. Our coaches’ room upstairs has really been done over, adjusted, with some new desks, chairs and things of that nature, which I’m happy about. So we’re excited, and I think the one thing that I would say starting out is that our goal – our objective – is to apply all of our skills, all of our ability, to encourage our players to have great purpose. To have greater purpose in everything that we do, in order to improve ourselves. And that (if) under any circumstance should the gearshift slide into ‘idle’, I think all we have to do, all of us who bleed Giant blue, is remember that 17th game last year, and there will be plenty of motivation for us to try to take it up another notch. It’s about improvement, it’s about being here. We know that there’s a tremendous amount of work involved again at the start of the season – we look forward to that. We have to earn the right to win, go back and refocus on our preparation, our concentration, on getting the maximum out of our meeting time, and taking full advantage of our field time and our practice time. And, once again, whatever the undertaking might be – if it’s a pre-practice drill, if it’s a meeting, whatever – we do it with greater purpose. We have a good football team, but there are many teams that have improved in this off-season, so the challenge is great. And there’s none greater than the NFC East.

Q: How do you feel about hearing preseason references to the Giants making the Super Bowl?

A: I think that if you’re going to talk about the World Championship, or the Super Bowl, or whatever, what has to accompany that is the idea that our thinking, our maturity, our team unity, our singleness of purpose and the way in which we go about our business, our practices, etc., have to all be at the championship level. And I think, again, if the effort, the preparation, the skill and the performance level parallels talking about the world championship, then I think that’s a good thing.

Q: What are your expectations for Eli Manning coming into the season?

A: The continued advancement of his game, his growth and development into his third year – his second full year as a starter, of being able to take all that he’s studied and learned in the off-season to the field. I see it as a natural progression.

Q: What are you most curious about going into the start of training camp?

A: Obviously we’ve made a lot of changes in the secondary and I’m looking forward to seeing how that particular group is going to come together. But that’s just one phase. You look at it – it’s how your team is going to accept that challenge if you’re going to be able to continue to develop and get better and take your game to the next level. It’s how your team is able to accept that challenge, and I’m looking forward to that.

RE: A very difficult regular season schedule

A: It’s without a doubt a very difficult schedule, it’s a very difficult start. But if you’re going to want to be the best, you’ve got to beat the best. I think that’s the way you look at it. You look at it as a challenge, you look at it for what it is. It is most difficult, but on the other hand, you’ve earned the right to play that kind of schedule. Again, if you’re going to be the best, you have to beat the best.

Q: Are all of the rookies expected to be at camp tomorrow?

A: I think so. I know that everything isn’t done at this point in time, but hopefully we’ll have those that are left signed this evening, and they’ll all be here tomorrow.

Q: How much do you still think about last year’s loss in the first round of the playoffs?

A: It never has left my thoughts from the evening after the game, and it’s not going to change, and I don’t want it to. I want to pour a little salt into the wound.

Q: Will any players be reporting to camp with restrictions or limitations?

A: There’ll be some, there will be a few at the beginning. I think we may have to restrict those guys who are coming off of some knee surgeries – you know who they are as well as I do. There may be, Lewis Kelly had the sprained foot right at the end of our spring work, so he’s going to be limited. I think (Tim) Carter may have some patella tendonitis that we may have to be concerned about right away. LaVar Arrington has some tendonitis and an Achilles, so we may have to make sure he’s ready to go twice. Hopefully that’s it.

RE: The Giants traditionally not posting back-to-back strong seasons

A: I remember having two or three good seasons when I was an assistant. I’m interested in this team right now, where we are and the challenge that we have in front of us. You people can write the history.

Q: How soon will you mention last year’s playoff loss in camp?

A: It’ll probably take me about as long as tomorrow afternoon to mention that.

Q: How will not practicing against the Jets during camp affect the team?

A: It’s not going to affect us. More and more teams are moving away from that. It was a good opportunity for us the two past years, it’s not an opportunity at this point in time. We’ll just adjust our schedule and go from there.

Q: How will you get in the mindset of starting from the beginning again this season?

A: That took place after the 17th game last year, and the entire off-season. ‘Putting it behind them’ is not the way I would phrase it. I would say learn from it, understand it, know what took place and never let it happen again.

Q: Do you expect all of the veterans to report to camp tomorrow?

A: Absolutely.

Re: defensive tackle position

A: Well, that’s the one most talked about as being open. I think we have some outstanding competition at that spot, and hopefully that competitiveness is going to create a situation that turns into a positive – from an unknown to being a positive. We have guys who have played in there – you know that. We’ve had guys who have slid in there before. It was just planting a man to the position last year, and now it’s open. We have some young guys who are coming along and we have some people we drafted and some guys who have played in there in the past. I think it’s going to be a very competitive spot, to be honest with you.

Q: With Tiki Barber aging, will you work on developing a player behind him?

A: I don’t think so. We have players who have been here, even if you go as far as Brandon (Jacobs) being into his second year, their development should be – Derrick Ward’s and Brandon’s – should be an increasing thing. Tiki, this year, we’re talking about this year, period, and our expectations, obviously, for him are very, very high, and rightfully so.

RE: Anticipated development of the offensive unit

A: I hope we’re better, I hope we’re going to get better. I see lots of areas that need improvement and hopefully we’ll be able to focus on that right away. It’s never one-sided at camp, as you know. It’s never one-sided. One practice may go to the defense, the next may go to the offense, and hopefully both sides of the ball, along with special teams, will parallel each other in growth and development here at camp. Let’s face it – we’ve got to become a good football team right now.

RE: The impact of the new additions to the team

A: I’m excited. We’ve had some opportunities this off-season to put this group together on the field, but this is for real. There’s no more ‘volunteer’ aspect to it whatsoever. This is for real. Putting the pads on and looking at the various combinations, I’m excited about that. There are lots of things. I’m excited about an offensive line that will play together a second year in a row. I’m excited about Eli’s growth and development. I’m excited about the receivers coming back – Plaxico (Burress), Amani (Toomor), (Jeremy) Shockey, and the addition of (Sinorice) Moss. I’m excited about the opportunities on our special teams that our punter and our kicker provide us. I’m excited to discover whether or not our team speed, which looked like it was better during the spring, in fact is such as I look at special teams, as our special teams progress along here at camp. There’s a lot of things that I’m very interested in. And, as I always say, I’m hoping and praying that, as happens with all really good football teams, some of those guys that you’re not talking about here in the media or not asking questions about them by name will aspire to have better years than anyone ever even thought they could have. If that’s one or two or whatever, we’re going to be a little bit better for it.

Q: What has Eli Manning done this off-season that makes you think he will be improved?

A: This is the 9,733rd time I’ve answered this question. ‘What hasn’t he done?’ is maybe an easier way to do it. He’s been the number one athlete in attendance in the off-season program. He has more workouts than any player in the program. He’s studied more tape. He was in two weeks before anyone else reported for the off-season program. He’s gone through every bit of tape with Kevin Gilbride, with John Hufnagel, he’s been through sessions after we developed our research. He’s been on the field in the mini camps and in the individual workouts that he’s had with the various players that have been in the program. He’s very serious. He’s very conscientious. He wants to be good, and he’s willing to pay the price to be good. He’ll pay whatever price is necessary for him to achieve success, and you can’t have enough of those guys. You just surround yourself with people with that kind of an attitude, and you’re going to have a good team.

Q: Why do you expect LaVar Arrington to be an impact player on defense?

A: He’s a bigger, stronger player at the position that we have him playing, at the strong backer, than we’ve had. I think his ability to rush the passer and, more than anything, maybe, his attitude, his physical attitude which he conveys on the field – he’s one of those guys who has a smile on his face, he likes football, he loves practicing. He likes that part of it, and I think that’s going to be good for our team.

Q: Because of the number of offensive weapons, do you anticipate having to be a ‘personality coach’ in addition to football?

A: No, I don’t think so. I think there’s plenty of opportunities, I think there’s plenty of situations that occur. I think there is some patience that has to be exhibited by some individuals, particularly on a game-to-game basis. I can remember a couple of years ago having talked to Amani (Toomer) after he came off a game where he had maybe one catch -- not to be frustrated, blah, blah, blah -- and the next week he catches five or six balls. You just have to keep asserting yourself, keep believing and know that the bottom line is you’ve got to appreciate and take great pride and joy in the team. It’s about team success, so hopefully that message will be conveyed, and guys will believe in that. I don’t worry about that part of it, as long as we have the ability to have people playing at the top of their game and pose that kind of threat to the defense where those individuals have to be defended, that there’s going to be some opportunities. I’d like to see more big plays, to be honest with you.

Thanks Nem don't worry about this old codger. My blood beeds Giant Blue. For over 50 years now I have been a Giants and Yankees fan. When my blood isn't bleeding blue, it bleeds pinstripes. :)

I am hoping for 2 world championships this year.

Just reupped on the NFL ticket Nem..only way to see them out here.

Until then...I try to keep it on an even keel untiil opening day...or something really pisses me off....Like if Osi begging to return a Kickoff in a pre-season game and Coughlin said..."Sure...what could it hurt?"

Then...I plug in a bit more.

C. Wagon

Just reupped on the NFL ticket Nem..only way to see them out here.

Until then...I try to keep it on an even keel untiil opening day...or something really pisses me off....Like if Osi begging to return a Kickoff in a pre-season game and Coughlin said..."Sure...what could it hurt?"

Then...I plug in a bit more.

C. Wagon

Thanks Chuck... :TU: