SportsWrath

Face it Met Fans

mickeef2

I understand that, and I know they'll have no problem making the playoffs. I'm just predicting that he'll cost them big time at some point in October. There always comes a time for teams that win the World Series where they needed their closer to get crucial outs.

plus you want to fuck with their heads. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I'm telling you Foulke is a bad example because Sox fans weren't worried about him going into that post season.

and what mets fan are worried about wagner, seriously?

I am a bit, I think he needs to get some cheapy saves in non pressure spots, get on a role and get the confidence up.

Other than Mariano there is no closer in all of baseball that is proven in the post season and you feel completely comfortable with, from Lidge, to Wagner, to Hoffman to Izzy to Gordon there are plenty of post season blown saves in that list. That includes Pappelbon, because although he has been as great as one can be thus far, so was Brad Lidge last year and look what happened in the NLCS?

I am a bit, I think he needs to get some cheapy saves in non pressure spots, get on a role and get the confidence up.

Other than Mariano there is no closer in all of baseball that is proven in the post season and you feel completely comfortable with, from Lidge, to Wagner, to Hoffman to Izzy to Gordon there are plenty of post season blown saves in that list. That includes Pappelbon, because although he has been as great as one can be thus far, so was Brad Lidge last year and look what happened in the NLCS?

exactly my point, i even mentioned lidge as a guy who every1 thought was gunna be great and choked completely. No1 knows until you're there. Wagner has the talent to be good there, only time will tell.

I don't know, maybe your friends are dopey. My friends who are Met fans are already panicking about this guy. You can try to convince yourself all you want that regular season performance doesn't matter when it comes to the postseason, but your logic is retarded. Yeah, guys can have a great regular season and suck in the playoffs. But how many times does the reverse work? How about almost never.

And as for Lidge, you can cross me off the list of "everyone"s who thought he'd be great in the postseason. I guess I've just watched enough baseball to know that you can't count on relief pitchers in the postseason just because they had a good regular season. But again, that doesn't mean there's an equally good chance that a guy who had a terrible regular season will have a great postseason.

OK mickeef2, I am a Mets fan and I worry when Wagner comes in the game. There are only 3 or 4 closers in the history of MLB that I wouldn't worry about. What is the point?

OK mickeef2, I am a Mets fan and I worry when Wagner comes in the game. There are only 3 or 4 closers in the history of MLB that I wouldn't worry about. What is the point?

You just made my point.

Seriously, the point is no matter how many games they win, his problems have got to be in the back of your mind until you get to the playoffs, and you can't like his chances based on what you see so far (even thought Plow says it doesn't matter what happens in the regular season, he's just as likely to be good in the playoffs as bad). I worry about Papelbon every time he comes into the game, too, just like I'd worry about Mariano. I'd worry about any closer because they're human. But some guys are way more human than others, and Wagner appears to be one of those guys.

You just made my point.

Seriously, the point is no matter how many games they win, his problems have got to be in the back of your mind until you get to the playoffs, and you can't like his chances based on what you see so far (even thought Plow says it doesn't matter what happens in the regular season, he's just as likely to be good in the playoffs as bad). I worry about Papelbon every time he comes into the game, too, just like I'd worry about Mariano. I'd worry about any closer because they're human. But some guys are way more human than others, and Wagner appears to be one of those guys.

You have to root for who you have. He is better than any closer the Mets have had in the recent past. That doesn't mean anything though. Any pitcher asked to come into a game and protect a 1 run lead...well,it's a nail biter. I don't care who it is. A playoff game makes it that much worse.

here i'll put it this way then, who else would you rather have then wagner at this point in the National League?

Here's the playoff teams closers and you tell me if Wagner is really a problem compared to these other teams

Gordon

Isringhausen

Borowski

Weathers

Lidge

Hoffman

Saito/Gagne?

Turnbow

Fuentes

Benitez

Julio/Valverde

Wagner might not be good in your eyes, he may not be Rivera and he may not have the stats like papelbon but he may be the guy I would take in the NL right now.

here i'll put it this way then, who else would you rather have then wagner at this point in the National League?

Here's the playoff teams closers and you tell me if Wagner is really a problem compared to these other teams

Gordon

Isringhausen

Borowski

Weathers

Lidge

Hoffman

Saito/Gagne?

Turnbow

Fuentes

Benitez

Julio/Valverde

Wagner might not be good in your eyes, he may not be Rivera and he may not have the stats like papelbon but he may be the guy I would take in the NL right now.

Again, Plow, you're totally missing the point. I don't care who the closers are for the other teams. I never said they need to go out and get someone else, or that there's a better option out there for them. When it's a tight game in October for the Mets, Billy Wagner will be the guy on the mound for them, and that's gotta make Met fans a little uncomfortable.

Billy Wagner worries me, but he worries me less so than Braden Looper, Armando Benitez and John Franco did.

2 of those 3 imploded in the playoffs in the past and the other was so bad that his 9 blown saves prevented the playoffs from being any more than a dream.

I think Wagner has to do it in the playoffs simple as that. I think the one thing he has going for him is that he has been a proven regular season closer, so mentally his mindset should be on that fact when October rolls around.

I also expect Wagner to rack oup a ton of garbage saves the second half of the year, it will all mean shit till he gets big outs in October.

Again, Plow, you're totally missing the point. I don't care who the closers are for the other teams. I never said they need to go out and get someone else, or that there's a better option out there for them. When it's a tight game in October for the Mets, Billy Wagner will be the guy on the mound for them, and that's gotta make Met fans a little uncomfortable.

and ur missing my point, that i am always nervous with even rivera. So, I would still take my chances if i am a met fan because wagner could be on a short list of guys who you can give the benefit of the doubt to. Who cares if a mets fan is a little uncomfortable with wagner on the mound, your true point was that he will not succeed seeing as though you said "your closer is a choker, and that's gotta scare you if this is gonna be a post-season team." I would not be "scared" about him if i were the mets. Nervous? Yes. Scared? No.

and ur missing my point, that i am always nervous with even rivera. So, I would still take my chances if i am a met fan because wagner could be on a short list of guys who you can give the benefit of the doubt to. Who cares if a mets fan is a little uncomfortable with wagner on the mound, your true point was that he will not succeed seeing as though you said "your closer is a choker, and that's gotta scare you if this is gonna be a post-season team." I would not be "scared" about him if i were the mets. Nervous? Yes. Scared? No.

I see- nervous, not scared :huh: . Okay, so anyway...