SportsWrath

Cincinnati Reds (38-32) at New York Mets (43-26) on 56/20/06 at 7:10

Plax 4 Prez

Mets look to extend Reds' losing streak

Cincinnati (37-32) at NY Mets (43-25) 7:10 pm EDT

FLUSHING, New York (Ticker) -- The New York Mets attempt to add to the Cincinnati Reds' struggles when they host the opener of a four-game series on Monday.

The Mets snapped a two-game skid with a 9-4 victory over the Baltimore Orioles in the finale of an interleague series. Tom Glavine became the league's first 10-game winner and David Wright hit a grand slam.

Looking to extend the Reds' losing streak to four, New York will turn to Cuban righthander Orlando Hernandez (4-5, 5.50 ERA), who was pounded in a game against Cincinnati this year while with Arizona. "El Duque" was tagged for eight runs, including three homers, in 5 2/3 innings of a 9-8 loss on May 7.

Hernandez posted his second shortest outing of the year, but did not factor in the decision of a 9-3 triumph over Philadelphia on Wednesday. He yielded two runs and four hits while not issuing a walk in just three frames.

The Reds have lost eight of their last nine games. They turn to their ace Bronson Arroyo (8-3, 2.51) on Monday. He dropped his previous decision, a 6-4 setback to Milwaukee on Tuesday which snapped a personal three-game streak. Despite striking out seven, Arroyo gave up four runs and nine hits in seven innings.

The righthander has a whopping 7.71 ERA in two starts against New York.

The Reds were swept in a three-game interleague series by the Chicago White Sox this past weekend.

It sucks that El Duque's start was bounced short last week, hopefully he comes back strong.

I'm sure he will... hopefully Wright will play like a beast like he did yesterday

I am embarssed that Arroyo is able to do this. I know he has been good thus far, but I have always found his stuff to be garbage and quite hittable. :TD:

What's your avg. against him?

well....now we've lost 3 of the last 4 and all of those games at home... I hate Heilman and Feliciano :furious:

Peaks and valleys, my friend. Hang tough.

The baseball forum gets as much action as a pimple faced teenager so I've decided to put it here. After the ass whipping my Reds took against Chicago/Brewers/Cubs ( :doh: ) I look for them to turn it on. If our starters make it through the 8th we're okay but if it's up to our bullpen Mets win. Look for Lizard to showcase his new found skills courtesy of Reds legend Mario Soto.

Looking through your rotation I see 2 good starting pitchers otherwise the rest are okay. You guys been winning w/ defense/offense?

Trachsel looking for third straight

Cincinnati (38-32) at New York (43-26), 7:10 p.m. ET

The Mets will try to bounce back after losing the first game of a series two times in a row.

Against the Orioles last Friday, the Mets were surprised by a team on a three-game losing streak. On Monday, the Reds entered Shea Stadium with a three-game slide of their own only to pull out a 4-2 victory behind the pitching of Bronson Arroyo.

Steve Trachsel takes the mound for the Mets and looks to record his third win in a row after having beaten the Diamondbacks and Phillies, respectively. On June 15, Trachsel pitched six innings and allowed four runs and six hits with two walks and no strikeouts in the Mets' 5-4 win at Philadelphia.

Trachsel (4-4, 4.81 ERA) is 8-4 with a 2.69 ERA with 68 strikeouts in 17 career starts against the Reds. He last faced them on July 23, 2003, and threw 5 1/3 innings, allowing nine hits, six runs, five earned, with two walks and four strikeouts.

The Mets have not seen much of the Reds starter, Elizardo Ramirez. The 23-year-old right-hander is in his second year in the Majors and has faced the Mets only once in his career, that appearance coming as a reliever. Ramirez is coming off the best outing of career -- eight scoreless innings and 10 strikeouts against Milwaukee in a no-decision last Wednesday.

Pitching matchup

CIN: RHP Elizardo Ramirez (2-5, 3.44 ERA)

Ramirez makes his second career appearance and first career start against the Mets. He made his Major League debut as a Phillie at Shea Stadium on May 25, 2004 and threw a perfect inning with one strikeout.

NYM: RHP Steve Trachsel (4-4, 4.81)

Trachsel is 1-2 with a 4.91 ERA in three career starts against the Reds at Shea Stadium. As a Met, he is 2-2 overall with a 3.70 ERA in four starts against Cincinnati.

Player to watch

Jose Reyes extended his hitting streak to seven games and is now batting .500 with 10 runs scored, six doubles, a triple, three RBIs and three stolen bases during that stretch. Reyes also swiped his 30th stolen base of the season on Monday.

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

• Gameday

• Official game notes

On television

• SNY

On radio

• WFAN 660 AM, WADO 1280 AM (Español)

Up next

Wed: Reds (Joe Mays, 0-0, 1.29) at Mets (Alay Soler, 2-1, 3.00) 7:10 p.m. ET

Thu: Reds (LHP Eric Milton, 4-3, 4.14) at Mets (RHP Pedro Martinez, 6-3, 3.01) 7:10 p.m. ET

Fri: Mets (LHP Tom Glavine, 10-2, 3.48) at Blue Jays (TBA) 7:07 p.m. ET

um...we have a Mets section and a General Baseball section for a reason my friend... it may not get as much action as the GD section, but this thread belongs there... or nobody will go to the Baseball section, and everybody would post thier baseball shit here.