SportsWrath

Rhett Ellison retires after 8 NFL seasons

BlueInCanada

https://www.giants.com/news/rhett-ellison-announces-retirement-giants-nfl

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Rhett Ellison, a quietly consistent performer who was respected by his teammates and a mentor to his fellow tight ends, today announced his retirement after eight NFL seasons, the last three with the Giants.

"The past few weeks, it's kind of been an emotional rollercoaster," Ellison said. "But the overwhelming feeling I have is gratitude. Just thinking back to all the people in my life, even before I put pads on, that were able to nurture and grow the gifts God put into me and make this career possible. I think that was the biggest thing that was the fun part about the retirement process, which is reflecting on those people, thanking those people, reaching out and just the lessons they taught me, the tools they gave me for my life after football."

An outstanding run blocker, Ellison helped Adrian Peterson rush for 1,000 yards three times and win a most Valuable Player Award when they were Vikings teammates and opened holes for Saquon Barkley when he rushed for 1,307 yards and captured the 2018 Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Ellison's most productive season as a receiver was in 2018, when he played in 14 games with 12 starts and had career-high totals of 25 catches for 272 yards and scored one touchdown, a 16-yarder at Houston in the Giants' first victory of the season.

In addition to his game-day production, Ellison spent many hours in the meeting rooms and on the practice field helping the Giants' younger tight ends, like Evan Engram.

"He's definitely the best teammate I ever had," Engram said. "Rhett not only helped me with so many things on the field, but helped me off the field, too. I'm going to miss him. He's definitely going to be a friend of mine for life."