SportsWrath

Jeter

Ditto

Last night, in the bottom of the 8th, Farnsworth loads the bases with no one out, Yankees ahead by a run. A grounder is hit to Jeter and he elects to go for a 2nd to 1st double play instead of coming home.

Why did Jeter not come home to try to preserve the lead?

very speedy runner on third, not worth the risk on a run that would only tie the game...if it was the go ahead run, its a different story. Thats just another small thing he does that makes Jeter so great. 10 out of 11 SS would go home on that play...not Jeter he knows that having the game tied with 2 outs is a hell of alot better than games tied, bases loaded, no outs

very speedy runner on third, not worth the risk on a run that would only tie the game...if it was the go ahead run, its a different story. Thats just another small thing he does that makes Jeter so great. 10 out of 11 SS would go home on that play...not Jeter he knows that having the game tied with 2 outs is a hell of alot better than games tied, bases loaded, no outs

He would had him. I looked at the replay about 4 times, and the runner was only half way when Jeter picked up the ball. And Inge, who was running to first, is hard to double up as it is.

It's Baseball 101.

I would gladly give up 1 run for 2 outs. The worse case scenario after that is better than the worse case scenario of getting only 1 out, giving them two shots with bases loaded again.

I learned that in Pee-Wee league.

Was the infield playing in, back, or halfway? It's really the manager's decision before the ball is even hit as to where the infield is gonna go with it. If the infield is playing back (as I'm guessing they were in that situation), you don't ever come home, no matter how hard the ball is hit. As was already said, if the run will only tie the game, you gladly give it up for a chance at two outs.

Rule of thumb is, home team plays to tie, and visitors play to win. So, if it was the managers decision to go for the DP beforehand, then I should have posted this in the Joey 4 rings thread.

As it was, infield was playing half way, and the ball was hit hard enough to get the runner coming home. The next batter popped up, and he next struck out.

Inge isn't an easy guy to double up, anyway. They had to see that when he stretched a single into a double earlier. Then they let him take second where a single would have scored two more.

PS Farnsworth did the same thing a few games ago (Red Sox?) when he loaded the bases with no one out and got out of it with no runs scored.

Ferret, I learned in pee wee league that you hold your head back when you have a bloody nose, and that was wrong, too.

I thought it was the right decision for Jeter. I don't think you guys know how tough a play that was. Fielding backhand with a fast runner coming home. If he misses that throw, it's absolute disaster and the game is basically over. When you know Mo is coming in and you have the offense the caliber of the Yankees, you play for the tie in this case, and hope for the best afterwards. It was the right move by the Yankees and Jeter.

I thought it was the right decision for Jeter. I don't think you guys know how tough a play that was. Fielding backhand with a fast runner coming home. If he misses that throw, it's absolute disaster and the game is basically over. When you know Mo is coming in and you have the offense the caliber of the Yankees, you play for the tie in this case, and hope for the best afterwards. It was the right move by the Yankees and Jeter.
EXACTLY

If he misses the throw? Come on with that! He could miss the throw to 2nd, too, and we were lucky Cano didn't throw it away when he was taken out at 2nd.

B, the play was in front of him. He could have even come in on it. Instead, he played back to get the DP.

If he misses the throw? Come on with that! He could miss the throw to 2nd, too, and we were lucky Cano didn't throw it away when he was taken out at 2nd.

B, the play was in front of him. He could have even come in on it. Instead, he played back to get the DP.

I wish I could have seen the play again, but I could have sworn that he had to go to the right to make the play and was backing up at the same time.

Does anyone have a clip of this play? I watched the play and I guess it just blurred out of my mind. Maybe I'm losing my memory with age :(

Well, I didn't see the play, but I do have to say that the whole "play for the win on the road" thing is more a theory than a rule of thumb, and as gateB said, when you have a fresh Mo, and an offense like the Yankees (albeit a beat-up offense), that theory doesn't always apply.

ok let's see, who cares if the ball was hit hard or not. if its a soft ground ball, a fast runner is gonna score no matter where you throw it, you go for the out at 2nd, hope for the double play. hard ground ball, gives you a little more time to throw home, but then you risk a shitty throw to home, and also gives the runner a chance to take out your catcher, even though its a force out. not what we need right now with posada already hurting. so you get a shitty throw or the catcher misplays it, run scores, still bases loaded... or you can take the chance on a hard ground ball, gives you that much more time for the double play. either way it would have been an extremely hard play for jeter

He was going to his right and backing up, it would have extremely tough to make a strong thorw to home

That's what I thought the play was like. If that's the case, there's no doubt why he went to second.

ok let's see, who cares if the ball was hit hard or not. if its a soft ground ball, a fast runner is gonna score no matter where you throw it, you go for the out at 2nd, hope for the double play. hard ground ball, gives you a little more time to throw home, but then you risk a shitty throw to home, and also gives the runner a chance to take out your catcher, even though its a force out. not what we need right now with posada already hurting. so you get a shitty throw or the catcher misplays it, run scores, still bases loaded... or you can take the chance on a hard ground ball, gives you that much more time for the double play. either way it would have been an extremely hard play for jeter

Forget that if he makes a bad throw. If never bothered Jeter before. And if he makes a bad throw to 2nd, it goes into right field. I reviewed that play 3 or 4 times, and Jeter had plenty of time to force the runner at home. The question is, do you go for the DP and let the tying run score, or do you try to preserve the one run lead?

I assume everyone saw Phillips turn and throw Inge out at 3rd on the bunt last night. He certainly didn’t worry about if he would make a bad throw.

My opinion, Jeter had a rare brain fart, and it was the real reason he was rested last night.