SportsWrath

Terrelle Pryor Worked Out For Giants

Mr. P

From reading back to the early days of camp, I don't think Flowers has ever taken one rep at RT.

You are absolutely correct. I had thought that Flowers initially took reps in minicamp at RT, but I was wrong. Beatty's injury happened so early that Flowers was getting reps at LT right away.

However, I do think "the plan" was that Beatty would play LT this year, and Flowers the RT. I think that is what they will go back to, and I think that is the strongest line the Giants can put out there. I do need to concede, however, that this may not happen, particularly if Coach Coughlin believes there would be a precipitous drop-off in effectiveness at the LT position from Flowers to Beatty. Protecting Eli's blindside has to be the #1 priority in the decision-making process, and whoever they believe will be the most effective at that will be the LT. If it's a tie, though, then I believe Flowers will move, simply because he is such a road grader, that his skills in run blocking would be a greater advantage over there than Beatty, who is a better pass blocker.

You are absolutely correct. I had thought that Flowers initially took reps in minicamp at RT, but I was wrong. Beatty's injury happened so early that Flowers was getting reps at LT right away.

However, I do think "the plan" was that Beatty would play LT this year, and Flowers the RT. I think that is what they will go back to, and I think that is the strongest line the Giants can put out there. I do need to concede, however, that this may not happen, particularly if Coach Coughlin believes there would be a precipitous drop-off in effectiveness at the LT position from Flowers to Beatty. Protecting Eli's blindside has to be the #1 priority in the decision-making process, and whoever they believe will be the most effective at that will be the LT. If it's a tie, though, then I believe Flowers will move, simply because he is such a road grader, that his skills in run blocking would be a greater advantage over there than Beatty, who is a better pass blocker.

I look at the decision to keep Pugh at LG as an indicator.

The stronger option at RT probably would have been Pugh over Newhouse, but they considered how they wanted Pugh as the future at LG so kept him there. at this point, they might do the same as they see Flowers as the LT of the future and want to continue his development there. If he was a liability they might sacrifice his development, but he hasn't been.

I look at the decision to keep Pugh at LG as an indicator.

The stronger option at RT probably would have been Pugh over Newhouse, but they considered how they wanted Pugh as the future at LG so kept him there. at this point, they might do the same as they see Flowers as the LT of the future and want to continue his development there. If he was a liability they might sacrifice his development, but he hasn't been.

Good point.

I gotta say, I'm thinking it more likely Beatty back at LT this season happens.

Hopefully Beatty can start practicing soon and maybe get back in the lineup soon.

Maybe....but I'm not sure they want to make Flowers learn a new position in mid-season, especially since he's probably the LT of the future. My guess is Beatty tries the right side.....but it's exactly that - a guess.