SportsWrath

Giants looked at other DC option

Treehugger

Ex-Oregon DC sought by NFC East teams to combat Chip By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Nov. 25, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 25, 2014 at 11:34 a.m.

When Chip Kelly was hired by the Eagles back in 2013, every team in the NFC East tried to react in the exact same way. They all tried to hire former Oregon defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti.

"I have been asked by everybody in the NFC East," Aliotti, now retired, told The Oregonian on Monday. "The Giants asked me to come back when Chip got the first job. I didn't feel right doing that. Some teams have called when they're getting ready to play the Eagles and they call and have certain questions on the thing. Unless I know the guy and he's a good friend, I don't get involved with that."

It's an incredible bit of loyalty displayed by Aliotti, a 60-year-old who could have easily cashed in on other teams' desperation surrounding Kelly and his game-changing offense. It also shows how much of an unknown Kelly truly was during that first NFL season.

The Giants, for one, were haphazardly running up-tempo, no huddle during training camp practices, a special period they devoted time to weekly. But Kelly's offense appears to be more than that -- more than just a revised take on the Patriots' successful no-huddle offense.

That's why the insight seems so valuable and so hard to come by. Even with a combination of Mark Sanchez and Nick Foles at quarterback, the Eagles are fourth in total offense and average almost six yards per play.

But, for now, Aliotti sounds like a coach perfectly comfortable in retirement.

Can you imagine the dopes that we have on offense trying to run Chip Kelly's offense? Sorry, I pictured Rueben Randle, 4/5s of the offensive line, and probably even Eli trying to decipher hand signals coming in from the sidelines. It was a hilarious picture.

Such a good offensive scheme that he lost to the fucking Saints at home, in the outdoors, in the cold in the playoffs last year.

The Saints.

That offense can be scary... I mean they tortured us... but (and this is not my expertise) it seems a DC who knows wtf he's doing can counter it... we totally looked unprepared against the likes of the Eagles and the Seahawks.

That offense can be scary... I mean they tortured us... but (and this is not my expertise) it seems a DC who knows wtf he's doing can counter it... we totally looked unprepared against the likes of the Eagles and the Seahawks.

The best way to stop that offense is to disrupt it......playing a cover 2 and rushing 4 - especially when one of those guys is Kiwi - is a recipe for an ass-kicking.