SportsWrath

2006 Giants Linebackers

parlintm

I wanted to get some clarification as to who is going to play each position and the order of the depth chart.

MLB - Pierce is the starter. What is the depth chart behind him? Blackburn, Short, Wilkerson?

SAM - Lavar is going to be starter here. Is Torbor his backup? And then B. Short is next?

WILL - This is the one that I'm most unsure about. I think Emmons will be the starter here. But who is next on the depth chart? Gerris Wilkerson? If so, I think there's a great chance that he becomes the starter at some point this year, even if he is competing with Torbor for a spot.

Is Emmons going to get cut before camp? Personally, I dont think so uneless he's not healthy. He's a solid LB when healthy and we need all the quality depth that we can get.

How does everyone see this playing out?

I thought Lavar was going to be our weakside linebacker. I hope Wilkinson is not our starting WILL. Maybe they want Torbor to switch. Honestly I don't want Emmons starting anymore, he aging has lost several steps and has not been able to stay healthy. But, maybe the Giants think otherwise.

I don't think Emmons is going anywhere he'll be on the roster in september.

I thought Lavar was going to be our weakside linebacker. I hope Wilkinson is not our starting WILL. Maybe they want Torbor to switch. Honestly I don't want Emmons starting anymore, he aging has lost several steps and has not been able to stay healthy. But, maybe the Giants think otherwise.

I don't think Emmons is going anywhere he'll be on the roster in september.

Lavar is playin SAM

Pierce in the middle

I think Emmons gets the June 1 cuts and torbor starts.

Then wilkerson, short and blackburn are all interchangable as backups

Lavar is playin SAM

Pierce in the middle

I think Emmons gets the June 1 cuts and torbor starts.

Then wilkerson, short and blackburn are all interchangable as backups

Torbor is a SAM....and only a SAM

If Emmons goes it is becasue Short or Wilkerson Impressed enough to start...not Torbor

The Giants are employing an interesting alignment of LBs. Basically (in base formations) the SLB lines up over the TE, assuming the TE lines up on the strong side. The other 2 LBs acts as de facto ILBs in a 3-4.

Here's the depth chart:

WILL................................... MIKE .................................. SAM

Emmons..............................Pierce..................................Arri

gton

Wilkinson............................Blackburn...............................Tor

or

I'm not really sure where Short fits in, and honestly I'm not convinced he'll be on the final 53. But that's the gist of it.

The Giants are employing an interesting alignment of LBs. Basically (in base formations) the SLB lines up over the TE, assuming the TE lines up on the strong side. The other 2 LBs acts as de facto ILBs in a 3-4.

Here's the depth chart:

WILL................................... MIKE .................................. SAM

Emmons..............................Pierce..................................Arri

gton

Wilkinson............................Blackburn...............................Tor

or

I'm not really sure where Short fits in, and honestly I'm not convinced he'll be on the final 53. But that's the gist of it.

No, I'm 95% sure that Short gets on the final roster.

No, I'm 95% sure that Short gets on the final roster.

I htink he'll have a difficult time. He only signed a 1-year deal, and I can't really make an argument that he's better than any of those 6, assuming Wilkinson justifies his status as this year's "most exciting" pick according to Jints Central and Blackburn continues to excel on special teams. Certainly, the team can keep 7 LBs, but that may be unlikely after the allocation of vast resources to the defensive line.

I htink he'll have a difficult time. He only signed a 1-year deal, and I can't really make an argument that he's better than any of those 6, assuming Wilkinson justifies his status as this year's "most exciting" pick according to Jints Central and Blackburn continues to excel on special teams. Certainly, the team can keep 7 LBs, but that may be unlikely after the allocation of vast resources to the defensive line.

I think he'll make it, not necessarily start but make it. I'm sure management wants as much depth as possible after last year in the playoffs, but odds are it won't happen again. EA seems to be pretty high on Short as a person and player and him and Lavar are very close, so those factors lean to him being on our final roster at least.

I'm still laughing at our fan base's immediate reaction of drafting Wilkinson, and now things are coming out of our camp that he may be our most exciting pick and a possible candidate to start this year? Just goes to show, you have to know the guy before you rip the pick.

I think he'll make it, not necessarily start but make it. I'm sure management wants as much depth as possible after last year in the playoffs, but odds are it won't happen again. EA seems to be pretty high on Short as a person and player and him and Lavar are very close, so those factors lean to him being on our final roster at least.

I'm still laughing at our fan base's immediate reaction of drafting Wilkinson, and now things are coming out of our camp that he may be our most exciting pick and a possible candidate to start this year? Just goes to show, you have to know the guy before you rip the pick.

Depth is not simply a numbers game. The Giants could have acquired 10 Pro Bowl LBs this offseason, but the reality is that only 6-7 will make the team. In this case, I think Short is our 7th best LB ... even if Wilkinson struggles early on, he's still a lock to make the team. So let me rephrase: of our top 7 LBs, Short has the 7th best odds at making the final roster.

Accorsi does not have a say in the final 53, and players don't stick around purely because of their relationship with theirs peers. The only relevant question for Brandon Short is, will he prove to be more valuable than Chase Blackburn? If not, his chances of making the team are diminished.

Depth is not simply a numbers game. The Giants could have acquired 10 Pro Bowl LBs this offseason, but the reality is that only 6-7 will make the team. In this case, I think Short is our 7th best LB ... even if Wilkinson struggles early on, he's still a lock to make the team. So let me rephrase: of our top 7 LBs, Short has the 7th best odds at making the final roster.

Accorsi does not have a say in the final 53, and players don't stick around purely because of their relationship with theirs peers. The only relevant question for Brandon Short is, will he prove to be more valuable than Chase Blackburn? If not, his chances of making the team are diminished.

Well, here are my top LBs right now in no particular order:

Pierce

Wilkinson

Lavar

Blackburn

Short

Torbor

Eric Moore (?)

You think Emmons is going to make the final roster?

Torbor is a SAM....and only a SAM

Torbor can play both weakside and defensive end, as well as SAM i think he played better as a rookie on the weakside than last year in the SAM

Pierce

Wilkinson

Lavar

Blackburn

Short

Torbor

Eric Moore (?)

No, old, injury ridden, and a liability in our faster, improved defense. If he makes the roster, he's on IR by week two. It's a shame cause we would probably take a cap hit if we cut him, but it's worth it.

Guest Lockhart
I wanted to get some clarification as to who is going to play each position and the order of the depth chart.

MLB - Pierce is the starter. What is the depth chart behind him? Blackburn, Short, Wilkerson?

SAM - Lavar is going to be starter here. Is Torbor his backup? And then B. Short is next?

WILL - This is the one that I'm most unsure about. I think Emmons will be the starter here. But who is next on the depth chart? Gerris Wilkerson? If so, I think there's a great chance that he becomes the starter at some point this year, even if he is competing with Torbor for a spot.

Is Emmons going to get cut before camp? Personally, I dont think so uneless he's not healthy. He's a solid LB when healthy and we need all the quality depth that we can get.

How does everyone see this playing out?

Emmons and Arrington will both start - Arrington will be lucky to last half the season with what remains of hsi knee - Emmons could last, but he is iffy as well. By season's end expect Wilkinson and Torbor starting with Arrington on the IR and Emmons dinged up. It will the last year as a Giant for both Emmons and Arrington.

Pierce

Wilkinson

Lavar

Blackburn

Short

Torbor

Eric Moore (?)

I think he has a much better chance of making the roster than Short and Moore.

Torbor can play both weakside and defensive end, as well as SAM i think he played better as a rookie on the weakside than last year in the SAM

...no...he cannot....He has never played the weakside...not in college and not in the pros...And as a rookie his playing time was at SAM and then DE towards the end of the season...

I think Emmons is staying. We have two guys that can play WILL at a competent level, or at least we hope we do. Before the draft, I thought he was going, but with Arrington going SAM, and Emmons going weakside, I don't think that would make sense any longer.

I think the competition is between Blackburn and Short. And it is going to come down to where the coaches are going to place the highest value: backup at a single position and specials, or backup at two positions. Short is slow, but Blackburn had herniated discs in his upper spine. Short is mediocre but has starting experience, Blackburn is fast but has only played linebacker in 1 1/2 games.

I have to be honest I was a bit baffled when they said Lavar is going to be our strong side backer. I would really like to hear what Tim Lewis has to say about this LB situation. Anyways, most of the time teams carry just 6 backers on roster, we can maybe carry 7 but thats unlikely and IMO just 4 are locks. Arrington, Pierce, Torbor, and Wilkinson. All the others, including Emmons and Blackburn can be let go.

1. Pierce

2. Arrington

3. Torbor

4. Wilkinson

5. Brandon Short

6. ???

The final spot comes down to 4 guys IMO. Emmons, Blackburn, Moore, and a undrafted rookie Kevis Coley. As of right now im going with the underdog and thats not Blackburn. I really think Coley has a chance to make our final roster and surprise quite a few.

The reason Emmons is gone is because he cant play WLB. We seen that at the start of this past season. He also has slipped off quite a bit since being here and never showed a glimpse of the player he was before the injury. IMO they can easily show him the door, and it wont effect us one bit. If it helps make you sleep better think of it like this. Arrington was the upgrade over Emmons, Wilkinson the upgrade over Green, and Short the upgrade over Griesen.

That may be a bit of a shocker, but others will be more surprised when they here Chase Blackburn didnt make the squad. Lets face it, Chase is not the player many put him out to be. He is a dime a dozen type player. The only reason he made roster was because of special teams and lack of depth at backer. He played well this past season but nothing that would make him a lock. Also his neck injury will factor into this equation.

If Balckburn makes it, it will be as the 7th backer, primarily special teams. It comes down to him, Eric Moore, Quinten Harris, and Jason Bell as the defensive guy who gets the special teams tag. I wouldnt rule out Moore. We kept this guy on this entire season while he was injuried, he made the roster as the 5th DE while hardly practicing or playing in preseason. The coaches see something in Moore and I think that might have something to do with special teams.

...no...he cannot....He has never played the weakside...not in college and not in the pros...And as a rookie his playing time was at SAM and then DE towards the end of the season...

...yes...he can... He switched positions last year with Emmons before the season started. Maybe he cant play it well, bu he can still play it.

...yes...he can... He switched positions last year with Emmons before the season started. Maybe he cant play it well, bu he can still play it.

yes Reggie played sam, emmons switched to will. Torbor has never been a Will lber.

Reggie played SAM ever since he was drafted...Green was the WILL going into camp last year, he got hurt and we had no one to play WILL...so we moved Emmons to WILL and Torbor started at SAM...never has Torbor played WILL...

Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you post....

Edited by shockjock

Reggie played SAM ever since he was drafted...Green was the WILL going into camp last year, he got hurt and we had no one to play WILL...so we moved Emmons to WILL and Torbor started at SAM...never has Torbor played WILL...

Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you post....

Now I wish we still had Green! :lol:

The way it looks now...the two guys who we have to play the weakside I don't want to see starting.

The only Rookie I wouldn't mind starting is Cofield.

Now I wish we still had Green! :lol:

The way it looks now...the two guys who we have to play the weakside I don't want to see starting.

The only Rookie I wouldn't mind starting is Cofield.

I really feel that Cofield is going to be a starter come week 1. He has the size and strength to be a solid NT, but has the speed and burst to be so much more than simply someone to occupy blockers. A DL of Strahan-Joseph-Cofield-Osi would be fine by me