SportsWrath

Khaseem Greene already getting involved in Chicago communities

JMFP

The more I hear about this kid, the happier I am that he's on my Chicago Bears.

http://blogs.suntime...dy_involve.html

".....

Barrington kindergarten teacher Debbie Randall-Hayes' basement was severely damaged during April's floods. The Fox River overflowed near her Algonquin home and more than two feet of water saturated her family's basement.

"There were some heirlooms [lost]," said Randall-Hayes' husband, Brent. "All the mechanics were wiped out.

The washer and dryer. The furnace. The water heater."

But it was the overwhelming amount of Randall-Hayes' teaching supplies that were destroyed that really stung.

"Over 900 books" were lost, Brent said.

When told about the situation, Greene was happy to help out, becoming the first member of the Bears' 2013 draft class to show up in the community. An event was held at Barrington United Methodist Church on Saturday. Greene signed autographs and posed for pictures. All the proceeds went to Randall-Hayes and her family.

"It was an unfortunate thing that happened to that family," Greene said. "Just to be able to help was the biggest thing. That's why I was all over it and ready to do it.

"If I have the time to do it, why not do it? It's very important to give back. Somebody always needs help somewhere. With the opportunity that I have [with the Bears], why not step up and be that person to go ahead and just help give back and help a cause?"

Greene said it's important to him to show "that you're a human being with a heart" and not just a football player. He played football with some of the children at the event and even acted like a coach. Brent said he showed his son and his son's friend how to correctly hold a football and throw it.

"He seemed to be a very personable, outgoing player," Brent said. "He was real nice. He was very laid back. He fit right in. He was easy to talk with and down to earth, good-natured."

Dealing with a flood is something Greene is very familiar with too. Last year, his mother's home in New Jersey flooded and he was there to help raise furniture and salvage other heirlooms.

"She lost a lot of her furniture. I know how damaging it can be," Greene said. "A lot of things got thrown out. It was definitely tough."

Either way, Greene said he plans on being involved in the community throughout his career. It was something he did at Rutgers, where he rose to become the Big East defensive player of the year...."

The more I hear about this kid, the happier I am that he's on my Chicago Bears.

I wonder how he and JaMarcus will get along?

CBSSports.com has confirmed an ESPNChicago report that the Bears are planning to work out Russell. Emphasis on planning. The workout hasn't been exactly set yet but it appears it will happen.

A league source said at least three teams are interested in Russell--the Bears and theRavens are two of them, I'm told. USA Today first reported the Ravens' interest. I've also been told there is a third team--the old mystery team--and that team may be in the NFC West.

The Ravens' interest, I'm told, is tepid. Profootballtalk.com reported there is no interest. So we'll see.

All of this is still theoretical, of course. Russell has to perform in these tryouts and he has to convince teams that he's no longer the tub of goo he once was--his weight has fallen at least 30 pounds during this comeback attempt.

But all indications continue to point to the serious possibility that Russell will be on a roster this summer as a backup.

Where will he be? These might be the best possibilities:

The Bears: A backup to Jay Cutler. Risky because the ideal situation for Russell is actually a smaller media market with less scrutiny and that's not Chicago.

The Ravens: Could be perfect. Solid locker room with good offensive coaches and could learn from a great professional, Joe Flacco.

The Seahawks: Another good offensive coaching staff with a solid offense. Another good opportunity to learn from a settled, smart player in Russell Wilson.

The 49ers: See above except substitute Colin Kaepernick for Wilson.

The Cowboys: Never mind.

The Colts: No threat to Andrew Luck.

To be clear, this is not to say Russell would be the primary backup on these teams, he'd just be on the roster, to develop and see just how much he has really changed.