SportsWrath

Small School Prospects

BleedinBlue

I had two small school prospects on my wish list - hoping to sneak them in after the big names flew off the board as they are superb players flying under the radar.

Safety J.J. Wilcox and Cornerback B.W. Webb

And shit!!! The Cowboys snatched up both of them. :ranting2:

Maybe Jerry isn't as dumb as I think he is. Well, yeah he's stupid and an asshole :BullShit-1:, but he did find some gems that I wish we picked. I'm hoping he is stewing thinking he was going to pick up Nassib to groom as Romo's backup.

I'm not sure the term "small school" adequately describes a school. Div 1 is a classification that has little to do with student size (ex. Ohio St. has 57,000 students and Wake Forest University has a whopping 4400 students...heck, University of Tulsa plays Div 1 football and has a little over 2700 total students). Then there's Div 2, which can have anywhere up to nearly 30,000 students. And of course, Div 3 schools are the smallest of the bunch such as Ithaca College or SUNY Cortland (both schools within 20 miles of me, but which have 6500 and 7200 respectively).

That said...we signed MLB Charles Dieuseul from Mount Union College (2200 students) who made the Div III All-America First Team; and has won 2 Conference MVPs. His measurables are up there with the best of the best, but it'll be interesting to see if he can actually make the jump from Div III to the pro level. I don't know if that's ever been done. I know Div II athletes have done it (albeit few), but not sure if a Div III has done it.

Good question....so I looked up the answer. Turns out there's a handful, including Pierre Garcon, who also went to Mt Union!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100205201511AA4Xzvt

Arizona: Jerheme Urban, WR, Trinity (Texas)

Buffalo: Fred Jackson, RB, Coe

Cleveland: Jason Trusnik, LB, Ohio Northern (started the season with the N.Y. Jets)

Houston: Matt Turk, P, UW-Whitewater

Indianapolis: Pierre Garcon, WR/RET, Mount Union

Kansas City: Andy Studebaker, DE/LB, Wheaton

St. Louis: Derek Stanley, WR/RET, UW-Whitewater

Washington: London Fletcher, LB, John Carroll; Byron Westbrook, CB, Salisbury

Steven Hauschka (Middlebury) played for the Ravens, but was drafted out of grad school at N.C. State and probably wouldn't have made the NFL straight out of Middlebury. (That's the NFL's loss.)

I figured there had to be a few guys out of Div III schools that made it. Just because a school plays in Div III, doesn't mean they are small...many of them pushing 20,000 students. But it does mean they've played lesser talent. Still, there are 449 Div III schools out there so there has to be some hidden talent. I would think that a player who made the "First Team All American - Div III" has to be pretty good, such as our UDFA pickup, Dieuseul, whose measurables are off the chart and has won MVP at both LB and DE. I suspect he has the talent, but is green as grass when it comes to being NFL ready. He could be an interesting project.