SportsWrath

The problem with offensive linemen

BleedinBlue

What a bummer to be an offensive lineman. It's the only position on the team in which the better you are, the more anonymous you are. In every other position, the better you are, the more attention you get and the more accolades are heaped upon your head by fans and talking heads. If an offensive lineman gets attention, it's because he failed. If he does his job right, a QB or a RB gets attention for a good run or a good throw.

I feel sorry for Pugh for the reaction last night in the Giants section. They were all hoping for a sexy pick...one that will not be anonymous, but will be on the back page of the tabloids every Monday morning receiving heaps of praise for running for 200 yards or throwing for 300 yards. I don't think I've ever seen an offensive lineman's picture on the back page of the Daily News or NY Post.

Regardless...the more I get used to our pick, the happier I am that we were able to get him. Pugh will be an unsung hero in the trenches for the next 10 years as the glory rains down on Eli, Wilson, and whoever.

Corners are like that too. The best thing you can be as a corner is anonymous.

Pretty much...but if they are ball hawks and get a lot of pickoffs, they'll get a lot of credit. But I understand where you're coming from. The better the CB, the less the WR gets thrown to.