SportsWrath

Couglin Liking Bennett, Hendricks.

Treehugger

NY Giants' Martellus Bennett quickly becoming a favorite of coach Tom Coughlin

Despite big man's penchant for big talk, tight end is in Coughlin's good books for not being a 'robot.'

By Ralph Vacchiano / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, August 13, 2012, 1:10 AM

ginsider13s-1-web.jpg

Kathy Willens/AP

Martellus Bennett is showing lot of personality as he laughs it up with Ahmad Bradshaw.

ALBANY – In his short time as a Giant, Martellus Bennett has compared himself to Atlas, Ghandi, a black unicorn, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell and Kim Kardashian, and he’s openly spoken of his desire to kick the Cowboys’ butts.

Needless to say, the former Dallas tight end has been a media darling since signing with the Giants in August.

He may not seem like a Tom Coughlin type of player, but maybe he is a little more than everyone thinks.

“I like them to have their own personality,” Coughlin said after practice on Sunday. “I just like them to be able to structure it within the concept of trying to keep the focus on the game and on the field and on the team. I don’t like robots. I like to kid around with them once in a while, too, but I like it when it’s acceptable and when it isn’t acceptable.”

Coughlin actually did a version of “The Robot” to emphasize his point. He also said Bennett has “gotten better” at knowing when it’s OK to cross the personality line.

What does the coach think of Bennett? “He’s an interesting guy,” Coughlin said.

And how much is Coughlin willing to allow Bennett to be himself? “Well,” Coughlin said, “he’s himself. There isn’t any question about that.”

VICTOR’S RED FLAG

WR Victor Cruz admitted he’s “a little bit concerned” about having to play with replacement officials, especially since he heard one of the ones on Friday night “had only ref-ed glorified high school games – which I don’t even know what that means.

“Sometimes you could see them being a little flustered at times,” Cruz said. “It’s just tricky. It’s obviously tough for them because they have to get adjusted on the fly to refereeing NFL games. It’s by far a tough job for them. But we just want to make sure that as players we’re protected as well.”

FROM TRAINER’S ROOM

LT Will Beatty (back) returned to practice and so did WR Domenik Hixon (hamstring) after they both missed the preseason opener on Friday night. . . . DT Shaun Rogers missed practice due to swelling in his knee. . . . T James Brewer’s back tightened up and he had to be carted from the field. “When he’s out there he’s looked pretty good,” Coughlin said, “But we’re having trouble keeping him out there.” . . . DE Justin Trattou (ankle/heel), LB Michael Boley (hamstring), LB Jacquian Williams (hip) and WR David Douglas (quad) did not practice. C Jim Cordle (knee) also sat out.

FAMILY PRIDE

Eli Manning said it was good to see his brother Peyton back on a football field Friday night after he missed all of last season with a neck injury. “I know he’s proud,” Eli said. “He’s had a long journey and a lot of work to get back to playing football, so I know he’s excited to be back on the field and I was thrilled to see him back out there playing football again.” . . . The Giants waived rookie safety Jamzen Jackson. . . . Coughlin was still gushing over the play of second-year DT Dwayne Hendricks in Friday’s preseason opener.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...8#ixzz23Rw6AQzq

There better be a .gif of Coughlin doing the robot up by the end of the day.