SportsWrath

Williams is suspended for the year!!

rico

The article from ESPN.com

Updated: April 25, 2006, 7:42 PM ET

Williams suspended one year

ESPN.com news services

Dolphins halfback Ricky Williams lost his appeal with the NFL for violating the substance abuse policy and will be ineligible for the 2006 season.

The appeal was of his fourth violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, a ruling that places his football career in jeopardy.

Two of the sources said that Williams, who has received a year-long suspension from the league, was told of the ruling earlier Tuesday. This will mark the second time in three years that Williams will sit out a full season. Williams missed the entire 2004 campaign when he abruptly retired, only days before the start of training camp that summer, following his third violation of the substance abuse policy.

"I'm disappointed with the decision but I respect it," Williams said in a statement issued through the Dolphins. "I'm proud of my association with the National Football League and look forward to returning to the Dolphins in 2007."

Williams can apply for reinstatement to the league after one year. He will not be allowed to train at the Dolphins facility for the next year.

But even if he were to be reinstated in 2007, Williams would return as a 30-year-old running back who had appeared in just 12 games in three years. Life is difficult enough for a running back in the NFL once he turns 30. It would be especially difficult for Williams, given the rust he would have accumulated. And there are no guarantees that he will even want to resume his career when eligible for reinstatement.

The four-time 1,000-yard rusher returned to the Dolphins in 2005, served a four-game suspension for his past drug-related offenses and forfeited an additional four game checks as part of the sanctions against him. He then ran for 743 yards and six touchdowns while serving as the backup to rookie tailback Ronnie Brown, the team's first-round pick. Williams played in 12 games and started three of them.

League officials have yet to comment on the resolution to Williams' appeal, which was heard April 10 in a session presided over by league counsel Jeffrey Pash. There had been no indication of when a resolution might come on Williams' appeal, but in the hearing, the Dolphins requested an expedited decision. That was because Miami wanted to go into the draft the weekend with a clear picture of their tailback situation.

Decisions on such appeals can often take months, but the league clearly viewed the Williams situation and the proximity to the draft as a mitigating circumstance and made a quicker determination.

According to various reports, Williams tested positive, likely in December toward the end of the 2005 season, for a substance banned by the league. In at least three other violations, Williams tested positive for marijuana. Several sources have claimed that the substance in the latest positive test was not marijuana.

In the lengthy appeals hearing, it is believed that attorney David Cornwell, who represented Williams, claimed that the positive test was inconsistent with his client's behavior over the past year. A former league counsel, Cornwell helped craft the NFL's substance abuse guidelines, is eminently familiar with the policy and has represented many players in the past in the appeals process.

One of the witnesses who testified in support of Williams in the appeal was Dolphins coach Nick Saban.

For his career, Williams, the first-round draft choice of the New Orleans Saints who was traded to Miami in 2002, has rushed for 7,097 yards and 47 touchdowns on 1,757 carries. The former University of Texas star has appeared in 82 games and started 73 times.

The Dolphins recently re-signed backup tailbacks Sammy Morris and Travis Minor, but neither figures to provide them the kind of productivity that Williams did in 2005.

Information from ESPN.com senior writers Len Pasquarelli and John Clayton contributed to this report.

We'll see if Brown can become a 300 carry back this year...

Things looked great to okay for the Fins the last few weeks. First the possibility of Daunte missing even more then a month and now this. But it's not as if this is the hardest of divisions so they have a very good chance.

I bet that Torn4042089238 dude is devastated...

well first off its Torn084, the 084 is for chris chambers, the underrated breakout star of last season

and yes i am devastated. ronnie brown has always shared the load at RB, in Auburn it was with Cadillac Williams. i am not sure if he can handle being the sole back, but i rely on him. he has great hands, prob better than some wide receivers.

as for ricky, hes a dirtbag. but he will be back. he still owes up 8.3 million dollars, so expect him back in 2007.

as soon as i heard this, i took my ricky bobblehead and threw it against the wall. now, i have ricky head mountain with a cigarette next to it

well first off its Torn084, the 084 is for chris chambers, the underrated breakout star of last season

and yes i am devastated. ronnie brown has always shared the load at RB, in Auburn it was with Cadillac Williams. i am not sure if he can handle being the sole back, but i rely on him. he has great hands, prob better than some wide receivers.

as for ricky, hes a dirtbag. but he will be back. he still owes up 8.3 million dollars, so expect him back in 2007.

as soon as i heard this, i took my ricky bobblehead and threw it against the wall. now, i have ricky head mountain with a cigarette next to it

I think it might be premature to call Ricky a dirtbag before the details are readily available. Judging by Saban's support for him, there might be more to this than originally assumed.

Fortunately for the Dolphins, there are a ton of productive college backs available in the draft. If they feel Brown needs help...

I think it might be premature to call Ricky a dirtbag before the details are readily available. Judging by Saban's support for him, there might be more to this than originally assumed.

Fortunately for the Dolphins, there are a ton of productive college backs available in the draft. If they feel Brown needs help...

ur absoleutely right, the draft is filled with support for ronnie, but we have bigger concerns.

1. Secondary- the only proven secondary player we have is will allen. then we have will poole, who i think can be a breakout star this year, and travis daniels who has potential. Lance Schulters is MIA, and we cut Tebucky Jones (thank god) Yeremiah Bell is gonna have to step up.

2. O-Line: We just added C.J Shelton to it, so have done something, bur Frerotte got sacked way too much last year. I know he is immoble, but after a point, its ridiculous.

3. Linebacker: We need another outside linebacker next to Zack Thomas. Crowder was an amazing draft pick, but we need one more to complete ther corps.

4: WR- i personally think Marty Booker is a good number 2 WR playing beside Chambers, but no one else thinks like that. signed Kelly Campbell from the Vikings, so we have a little more depth there.

O, and i just realized we only have 4 picks. Round 1, 3, 5, and 7. I know we traded the 2nd rounder for Culpepper, but the others are MIA.

so for this, i would not like to draft a RB. because we signed beasley, we can use are ex fullback- monsterous Darian Barnes, for short yardage situations. we shall see how this unfolds Saturday

ur absoleutely right, the draft is filled with support for ronnie, but we have bigger concerns.

1. Secondary- the only proven secondary player we have is will allen. then we have will poole, who i think can be a breakout star this year, and travis daniels who has potential. Lance Schulters is MIA, and we cut Tebucky Jones (thank god) Yeremiah Bell is gonna have to step up.

2. O-Line: We just added C.J Shelton to it, so have done something, bur Frerotte got sacked way too much last year. I know he is immoble, but after a point, its ridiculous.

3. Linebacker: We need another outside linebacker next to Zack Thomas. Crowder was an amazing draft pick, but we need one more to complete ther corps.

4: WR- i personally think Marty Booker is a good number 2 WR playing beside Chambers, but no one else thinks like that. signed Kelly Campbell from the Vikings, so we have a little more depth there.

O, and i just realized we only have 4 picks. Round 1, 3, 5, and 7. I know we traded the 2nd rounder for Culpepper, but the others are MIA.

so for this, i would not like to draft a RB. because we signed beasley, we can use are ex fullback- monsterous Darian Barnes, for short yardage situations. we shall see how this unfolds Saturday

www.whogivesashit.com

www.whogivesashit.com

well money does because he said we could draft a back from the draft. but y do u care anyway? im a dolphins fan, there is no rule on this site that says i cant post stuff about the dolphins. i dont go round bustin on the giants or jets or any other team for that matter.

well money does because he said we could draft a back from the draft. but y do u care anyway? im a dolphins fan, there is no rule on this site that says i cant post stuff about the dolphins. i dont go round bustin on the giants or jets or any other team for that matter.

lol chill out man, I was just messing with you. I actually think the Dolphins have a very solid team and should be seriously contenders for the division, in a few years maybe the superbowl.

P.S. Dont get to excited about Barnes.

lol chill out man, I was just messing with you. I actually think the Dolphins have a very solid team and should be seriously contenders for the division, in a few years maybe the superbowl.

P.S. Dont get to excited about Barnes.

lol i am just so used to having to defend my fins that i do it any chance i get. sry bro

i think barnes can be very solid as a rb. he should GREAT fullbacking skills, and the only real differences between the positions is that u run more as a RB. if barnes can put the 2 together, he should be pretty good to back up brown. plus, there is travis minor who also has great hands, like brown

• 1 month later...
I hope Ricky comes back to the NFL as a Giant, and who cares if he smokes weed so does half of the NFL they just arent as open about it and oh yeah they use the whizinator.

wow. you must know nothing about football if u think he will be a Giant.

The only reason for Rickys still playing at alland it has been discussed on various espn shows and i apologize for not having a link, is because he owes the Dolphind over 8 million for violating contract terms by retiring two years ago. If he didn't have to pay us, he'd most likely be spending his time in Jamaica practicing Rustafarism.

I know he owes the Dolphins some funds. But I dont give a shit about that I just would like Ricky on the Giants he would fit right in IMO. I know this will never happen but hey I sure would like it to.

Ricky gained like 7 yards in his debut for toronto. Pitiful!!!!

Ricky gained like 7 yards in his debut for toronto. Pitiful!!!!

Once again, do some research before making an irrelevant post.

Ricky only had 4 carries. Do you know why? It was the first preseason game for the Argonauts. They took it easy on everyone. Second, the CFL is a pass happy league. Most RB are expected to run a route 80% of the time. RB don't get many yards on the ground up there.

I know he owes the Dolphins some funds. But I dont give a shit about that I just would like Ricky on the Giants he would fit right in IMO. I know this will never happen but hey I sure would like it to.

b/c the G-men need more problems to go along with Shockey and Plax, right?

Once again, do some research before making an irrelevant post.

Ricky only had 4 carries. Do you know why? It was the first preseason game for the Argonauts. They took it easy on everyone. Second, the CFL is a pass happy league. Most RB are expected to run a route 80% of the time. RB don't get many yards on the ground up there.

Why should I do research on the CFL? I just saw the title of the article and that was enough for me. LOL, I mean if I really cared I would have read it, but since it has nothing to do with the G-men I could care less. Ricky is a great RB, it's just too bad that he has gotten this screwed up. He is now just trying to do enough so he can get some spending cash, the guy is broke.

Why should I do research on the CFL? I just saw the title of the article and that was enough for me. LOL, I mean if I really cared I would have read it, but since it has nothing to do with the G-men I could care less. Ricky is a great RB, it's just too bad that he has gotten this screwed up. He is now just trying to do enough so he can get some spending cash, the guy is broke.

I mean when you make a post, make sure you know what ur talking about.

BTW, i am not sure on this one, but i think the CFL is a 3 down league, making more of an urgency to pass.

b/c the G-men need more problems to go along with Shockey and Plax, right?

How in the fuck is Shock and Plax problems for the Giants. Is it because they practice in Miami are you on this lame trip too. Who cares where they practice as long as they show up when they are suppose too who cares. You want to talk problems for the team do some research and show me the problem cuz I don't see one.