SportsWrath

Mounting evidence that the Texans trade down

HOUND

This article on NFL.com details the growing indicators that Bush may not wind up a Texan. Adam Schefter

It boils down to a couple of things -

The Texans have had no contract talks with Reggie Bush yet they have spoken to DE Mario Williams about a contract.

People in the Bush camp readliy admit that they don't get the feeling Houston will select him.

Most of the time trade rumors usually have an agenda attached to them but in this case, there really isn't a reason for those who shared information to benefit from it. In other words, these rumors shouldn't be quickly dismissed since the sources have no reason to speculate falsely.

It really is my opinion that the Texans want to fail. The obvious pick for them really is Ferguson like whoever took him in the SW mock...

It really is my opinion that the Texans want to fail. The obvious pick for them really is Ferguson like whoever took him in the SW mock...

You can't say that Ferguson is the obvious pick when someone so unbelievably talented is sitting right there for the taking. Im not saying that it's going to happen but Bush has the potential to have a better career than Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Tiki Barber... anybody. Right now the sky is the limit in terms of his potential.

If you have a top 5 pick you take the BPA available, completely regardless of need. Period. 10 years from now if you'd taken DBrick who ends up having a very solid career but Reggie Bush becomes the best player of the last 25 years you would feel mighy foolish for passing on him when he was sitting right there in your lap. Im not saying its going to happen but passing on Bush is a tough thing to do. Someone is going to have to give them a TON of quality draft picks before Texas gives him up.

Apparently the teams drafting cared.

And durability could be used for what I was referring to. Said by the always reliable dictionary.com "Lasting; stable" is one of the defintions for it.

I'm not calling out Bush btw. When I said he had durability problems, I was bringing back the segment from Sportscenter a while ago claiming that the only questions surrounding him by scouts is his durability. Hence, durability questions.

Bullshit on team caring about pedigree. At least, rational teams don't care about that. If they did, then Jarret Payton would have been a 1st round pick.

A guy whose never had a major injury and never missed a game in college has durability issues? Ok. Thanks for taking the trouble to consult dictionary.com, but conviently omitting this definition from the same source: "Able to perform or compete over a long period, as by avoiding or overcoming injuries: a durable fullback." Regardless, who needs a dictionary to understand what durability is within the context of sports?!

Ah, Sportscenter. I forgot, you're the guy who said Michael Robinson (who you admittedly never saw play) "reminded" you of Hines Ward (who you never watched in college). Who does Bush remind you of? Red Grange?

Every player has durability concerns. Some moreso than others. Based on his history, Bush's durability concerns are minimal compared to other players.

Bush is special in every sense of the word. Ferguson is not. Bush is the way to go.

they still completely ignore their offensive line problems though...the Texans have completely destroyed David Carr's career. Bush is definitely special though. I definitely think they could trade down to the Titans or Jets and still get Ferguson and actually fill some holes...

but i guess you guys are right, you can't pass up someone as talented and able to contribute day one as Bush can...

they still completely ignore their offensive line problems though...the Texans have completely destroyed David Carr's career. Bush is definitely special though. I definitely think they could trade down to the Titans or Jets and still get Ferguson and actually fill some holes...

but i guess you guys are right, you can't pass up someone as talented and able to contribute day one as Bush can...

They also have 3 other first day picks to address the OL.

Its not that he will simply contribute but from day 1 you run the entire offense around and through him. Either he gets the ball or he is used as a decoy on every play. When teams play the texans, the defense plays the game of "find Reggie Bush and make sure he doesnt beat us by himself."

While Dbrick might be a franchise LT, he's just not in the same league as Bush. I forget who said it but it was some former player was talking about him and he said that Bisj will be the best player in the NFL from day 1. Not that he will necessarily be the best player from day 1, but for someone to even to be able to say that, and to be taken seriously, about a guy who hasnt even been drafted yet is pretty amazing.

I said could be a Hines Ward. I don't recall saying reminded. If I did, then I was overstating.

Yes, I did read over that definition but I already knew durable is considered with injuries. My point was that it also could be considered long lasting, which in fact is part of the definition. Did you notice that I said one of the defintions?

You can't say pedigree didn't take part in the drafting of Eli. Even if it was at a minimum, I couldn't hear enough about guys like Mort and Salisbury bringing up Peyton in pre-draft specials in 2004.

It's not as if Jarrett put up amazing Heisman worthy numbers in college like Eli did. Pedigree did contribute to the Eli pick even if it wasn't that much of a major factor.

You are looking at my pedigree statement way too seriously. I never implied that the only reason Eli was #1 was because of the pedigree and that if his name was Ross he'd be a day two pick if he's lucky. I was just listing one of the many contributing factors to Eli's hype.

I said could be a Hines Ward. I don't recall saying reminded. If I did, then I was overstating.

Yes, I did read over that definition but I already knew durable is considered with injuries. My point was that it also could be considered long lasting, which in fact is part of the definition. Did you notice that I said one of the defintions?

You can't say pedigree didn't take part in the drafting of Eli. Even if it was at a minimum, I couldn't hear enough about guys like Mort and Salisbury bringing up Peyton in pre-draft specials in 2004.

It's not as if Jarrett put up amazing Heisman worthy numbers in college like Eli did. Pedigree did contribute to the Eli pick even if it wasn't that much of a major factor.

You are looking at my pedigree statement way too seriously. I never implied that the only reason Eli was #1 was because of the pedigree and that if his name was Ross he'd be a day two pick if he's lucky. I was just listing one of the many contributing factors to Eli's hype.

If pedigree was a deciding factor in obtaining Eli, then the Giants braintrust consists of bigger idiots than I thought. Judging by the way Eli's career has turned out, especially juxtaposed iwth Roethlisberger's success, maybe EA and company are idiots.

Based on your dictionary analysis, are you suggesting that Bush cannot have a long career? If so, why? Is it his clean bill of health or terrific toughness? Or comparable players like Barber, Martin, and Faulk being playmakers into their 30s?

Yep, you said Michael Robinson reminded you of Hines Ward. An all-time stupid statement considering you'd never seen either player play on the collegiete level. That's why I think it's comical to hear you question Bush's durability.

If pedigree was a deciding factor in obtaining Eli, then the Giants braintrust consists of bigger idiots than I thought. Judging by the way Eli's career has turned out, especially juxtaposed iwth Roethlisberger's success, maybe EA and company are idiots.

Based on your dictionary analysis, are you suggesting that Bush cannot have a long career? If so, why? Is it his clean bill of health or terrific toughness? Or comparable players like Barber, Martin, and Faulk being playmakers into their 30s?

Yep, you said Michael Robinson reminded you of Hines Ward. An all-time stupid statement considering you'd never seen either player play on the collegiete level. That's why I think it's comical to hear you question Bush's durability.

No, when I say that his durability is in question, I mean we aren't sure about it. Not that he'll be a 4 year superstar then drop out of the leage in his 20s. No I never said that and I don't believe that. All I said was that his durability was in question. No guarantees, nothing of what you said. All I am suggesting is that if there is one question mark in this kid's game, it's his durability. That's all. No need to blow a quote like that out of proportion.

No, when I say that his durability is in question, I mean we aren't sure about it. Not that he'll be a 4 year superstar then drop out of the leage in his 20s. No I never said that and I don't believe that. All I said was that his durability was in question. No guarantees, nothing of what you said. All I am suggesting is that if there is one question mark in this kid's game, it's his durability. That's all. No need to blow a quote like that out of proportion.

If we say that Reggie Bush's durability is a question then we have to say that everyone's durability is a question. Since we don't say that durability is a question for every player entering the draft then we shouldnt say that there are questions regarding the durability of Reggie. Comprende?

If we say that Reggie Bush's durability is a question then we have to say that everyone's durability is a question. Since we don't say that durability is a question for every player entering the draft then we shouldnt say that there are questions regarding the durability of Reggie. Comprende?

Except we never really saw this guy get battered around like the guys like Martin, Barber, etc. So it's more speculation than anything else.

Just to throw this out there, these are my first negative posts on Bush, and I wouldn't even call these negative. He is going to be great barring injuries or any other unexpected thing. I'm very relieved he is not going to be a Jet. Very relieved.

Except we never really saw this guy get battered around like the guys like Martin, Barber, etc. So it's more speculation than anything else.

Just to throw this out there, these are my first negative posts on Bush, and I wouldn't even call these negative. He is going to be great barring injuries or any other unexpected thing. I'm very relieved he is not going to be a Jet. Very relieved.

I'd love to see Bush become a Jet. Then I could see him play every week when I move back east, and we'd have to worry about him once every four years...

I'd love to see Bush become a Jet. Then I could see him play every week when I move back east, and we'd have to worry about him once every four years...

Well, I hate the Jets so I can't say the same. Give him to Houston where we only have to worry about him his rookie year then four years later.

If he does go to Houston, it makes this year's game at the meadowlands more intriguing.

You said:

But I don't care what Bush could do. This team [New York Jets] has way too many needs right now to be giving up high picks for now and the future for one guy, especially with durability questions.

You are implying that he has durability questions, while other players (Leinart?) do not. I think that's a poor assessment. Are we sure of Matt Leinart or Vince Young's durability?

You said:

You are implying that he has durability questions, while other players (Leinart?) do not. I think that's a poor assessment. Are we sure of Matt Leinart or Vince Young's durability?

Are they receiving durability questions from analysts and scouts? Just quoting what was reported. I'm not saying I listen to everything they say but they gave good reason for Bush to have those question marks.

I've used the word durability in one thread then I had in my entire life.

Are they receiving durability questions from analysts and scouts? Just quoting what was reported. I'm not saying I listen to everything they say but they gave good reason for Bush to have those question marks.

I've used the word durability in one thread then I had in my entire life.

I think its pretty asinine to authoritatively point out an alleged weakness in a prospect's game on the basis of some Sportscenter segment. Out of curiousity, how many times have you seen Bush play?

Reggie Bush has the chance to become a player that takes over games the way Marshall Faulk did in his prime with those Rams teams. If the Texans believe in Carr(as it appears picking up the option) then taking Bush is a no brainer. Carr, Bush and Johnson is a nice trifecta of sorts and if Casserly can get creative and place an O line around Carr they could develop as we have seen young talented QB/RB/WR combos do.

Reggie Bush has no durability issues.

Eli Manning may have been picked based on his name on some level, but most draft experts had him ranked #1 and if the Giants drafted purely on pedigree then why are Chris Simms, Anthony Dorsett, Bradlee Van Pelt, and Dan Klecko not members of our squad?

I think its pretty asinine to authoritatively point out an alleged weakness in a prospect's game on the basis of some Sportscenter segment. Out of curiousity, how many times have you seen Bush play?

Some of the games off the top of my head.... ND, UCLA, Championship game, were the only games I got to see all of them live. Of course I saw Fresno highlights and usually catch his highlights after most of his games. That's just in 2005 though.

Eli Manning may have been picked based on his name on some level, but most draft experts had him ranked #1 and if the Giants drafted purely on pedigree then why are Chris Simms, Anthony Dorsett, Bradlee Van Pelt, and Dan Klecko not members of our squad?

Never said the Giants based purely on pedigree. I just said that the pedigree contributed to the hype he received going out of college.

Your first sentence is exactly what I've been stating during this entire debate. Some level, not solely because of his name.

Some of the games off the top of my head.... ND, UCLA, Championship game, were the only games I got to see all of them live. Of course I saw Fresno highlights and usually catch his highlights after most of his games. That's just in 2005 though.

Ok, based on what you saw, do you feel he has durability problems? Instead of regurgitating some ESPN segment, tell us what you think...

Guest Nutty Sack

EA drafted Eli on pedigree.There's only one problem. He has none. His father was medicore at best and Peyton is supported by a group of very talented people at most of the offensive positions. Besides he's proven that when in a big game...he chokes. Put Reggie Bush in the Eli draft and we trade down to number one. Who do you pick ??

Ok, based on what you saw, do you feel he has durability problems? Instead of regurgitating some ESPN segment, tell us what you think...

When did it become problems? All I said in that first statement was questions.