SportsWrath

Giants not ready for prime time

JackStroud

I've been watching the Giants and also watching other preseason games around the league

We are listless and confused by comparison.......I lay this at Coughlins feet

Its time for him to pack his tent

I realize its only preseason but don't like what I'm seeing....especially from the o-line, and back seven on D

Coach needs to go? - Check

Incumbent players wasting rosters spots? - Check

Back-ups hopeless? - Check

Sky is falling? - Check

We're ready for some football, people!

I just can't wait for April to see if we bypass yet another LB, forget the damn season suppose I'll be like Blunatic and Hugh and watch the Dolphins instead

Coach needs to go? - Check

Incumbent players wasting rosters spots? - Check

Back-ups hopeless? - Check

Sky is falling? - Check

We're ready for some football, people!

I just can't wait for April to see if we bypass yet another LB, forget the damn season suppose I'll be like Blunatic and Hugh and watch the Dolphins instead.

Weatherspoon everyone should know that, I don't hate JPP but I think Weatherspoon is gonna be a beast and the LB's look bad again

Have you bothered to watch any of the Falcons pre-season games? Go watch one of them and see how "beast" he is. He looks lost and confused most of the time and is slower then shit which is odd because he was rated one of the faster LBs in this years draft. He will take a couple years before he even breaks the Falcons starting lineup.

McClain is the only LB who is starter ready out of the draft and has looked that way in the Raiders pre-season games.

This draft was the worst for LBs in recent history and we had no chance of upgrading our LB core outside of knowing that Al Davis was going to learn how to draft and pick McClain ahead of us.

Have you bothered to watch any of the Falcons pre-season games? Go watch one of them and see how "beast" he is. He looks lost and confused most of the time and is slower then shit which is odd because he was rated one of the faster LBs in this years draft. He will take a couple years before he even breaks the Falcons starting lineup.

McClain is the only LB who is starter ready out of the draft and has looked that way in the Raiders pre-season games.

This draft was the worst for LBs in recent history and we had no chance of upgrading our LB core outside of knowing that Al Davis was going to learn how to draft and pick McClain ahead of us.

we should have at least dangled osi in front of Al. lol, why would anyone watch the falcons pre-season games- did you?

we should have at least dangled osi in front of Al. lol, why would anyone watch the falcons pre-season games- did you?

Watched two of them yes, one vs N.E and the other against Miami. NFL network repeats all the pre-season games over and over again and when I'm doing stuff around the house I'm usually watching them as well.

Am I not allowed to watch other teams?

And on the topic of Osi, why would they want him when their D-line is one of their strongest strengths of their team? Their LB core is what needed help so they helped the need with their draft pick.

Watched two of them yes, one vs N.E and the other against Miami. NFL network repeats all the pre-season games over and over again and when I'm doing stuff around the house I'm usually watching them as well.

Am I not allowed to watch other teams?

And on the topic of Osi, why would they want him when their D-line is one of their strongest strengths of their team? Their LB core is what needed help so they helped the need with their draft pick.

no you're entitled but it's kind of random to confront a giants fan with: Have you bothered to watch any of the Falcons pre-season games?

laugh.giflaugh.gif

I have seen Falcons preseason games, this is from USA Today

New-look Falcons 'D' lifted by rookie LB Sean Weatherspoon Updated 4d 15h ago falconsx.jpgclear.gifenlarge.gif By John Bazemore, AP clear.gif The Falcons are counting on LB Sean Weatherspoon, a first-round pick, for immediate impact this season. clear.gifclear.gif

clear.gifclear.gif

clear.gifclear.gif

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gif

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — Mike Smith was embarrassed to fall into his own trap, but the third-year Atlanta Falcons head coach recovered quickly when he recognized a ready-made scapegoat to pay the $200 fine he'd set for anyone texting during a team meeting. "When we signed (first-round rookie linebacker) Sean Weatherspoon, I got a text, and when I looked at my cell, the players fined me $200," Smith says.

Ever-resourceful Smith had a plan for how to pay the penalty while saving face. Consider it Smith's version of rookie hazing.

"When Sean signed his deal, I told him at the press conference, 'You owe me $200,' " Smith says.

"The next day there was $200 in cash — $100 and five $20 bills on my desk with a note that said, 'I got you covered, coach.' "

Based on the raves he's drawn from the likes of 10-time Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez and third-year quarterback Matt Ryan, Weatherspoon is the Falcons' un-rookie. His veteran teammates love the bravado and playmaking the 19th overall selection out of Missouri has instilled into the team, whether lining up on the strong side, weak side or in nickel coverage. Weatherspoon's speed, range and passion have added what Gonzalez calls a needed swagger to a 21st-ranked defense.

Word at the Senior Bowl was that Weatherspoon ran his mouth as fast as he tracked down ballcarriers with 4.6-second speed over 40 yards. Some personnel evaluators were turned off. Not Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff.

"There was a lot of talk about Sean being overly loud," Dimitroff says. "We talked about being more urgent and faster as a defense. We want guys who have that evolving swagger.

"Spoon adds an element we didn't have last year."

Weatherspoon is a hit-and-run trash talker who adds the right mix of audacity to a defense led by weakside linebacker Mike Peterson and defensive end John Abraham.

"We're trying to win a championship," Weatherspoon says. "We feel like we have the pieces. There's a sense of urgency. Guys are hungry and ready to attack."

During a goal-line drill in sweltering heat, 5-10, 244-pound running back Michael Turner burst through the hole only to meet his defensive mirror, 6-2, 245-pound Weatherspoon. When Weatherspoon slammed into a pile of linemen, left tackle Sam Baker took exception, and punches were exchanged.

"I've never seen a rookie defensive guy come in like Spoon," Gonzalez says. "Just his whole swagger, it's going to help us a lot."

Another key Dimitroff addition was cornerback Dunta Robinson, the former Houston Texans standout who signed a six-year, $57 million deal.

"I had other options and probably could have made more money elsewhere," Robinson says. "But I felt this is a team that was one or two players from achieving the ultimate goal."

Robinson, who hails from nearby Athens, Ga., bolsters the talent of a roster that includes Ryan, Baker, Turner, Gonzalez, star wide receiver Roddy White and young defensive playmakers such as third-year safety Thomas DeCoud and middle linebacker Curtis Lofton. And with the return of 2009 first-round defensive tackle Peria Jerry from a season-ending knee injury, Abraham should be closer to his Pro Bowl level of 2008 (16½ sacks), not last season's 5½-sack effort.

With Weatherspoon able to cover tight ends and Robinson and fellow corner Brent Grimes expected to provide capable pass coverage, DeCoud should have more chances for more pickoffs coming off a 2009 effort that included 113 tackles and three interceptions.

Lofton, who had a team-best 160 tackles last season, wants to make more impact plays.

Weatherspoon calls Lofton, who wears jersey No. 50, "five-oh," referencing the television series, Hawaii Five-O.

Why?

"There's no running from the police," Weatherspoon smiles.

His defensive mates are feeding off that kind of viral enthusiasm.

"He understands the game well beyond his years," DeCoud says. "We're on our way to being one of the elite defenses.

"We have a chip on our shoulders."

Gonzalez says DeCoud and Lofton are Pro Bowlers waiting to happen.

So do these fly-around Falcons have a nickname like all the great defenses?

"We're working on one," Lofton says. "We've been OK the past couple of years. Now we want to be great. We don't want to just tackle guys. We want to take the ball away and score touchdowns."

Sounds like a bunch of guys feeding off a Spoon-full of infectious exuberance

I was being sarcastic, but I do agree, I have seen Dolphins preseason and Henne is not good, they should go back to Pennington

Henne was like 19/24 in one game, and all the incompletions were drops by the receivers. I think he could have a monster year with Marshall.

Henne was like 19/24 in one game, and all the incompletions were drops by the receivers. I think he could have a monster year with Marshall.

hes had one good game, he looked awful against Atlanta last week. he had 44 rating, Marshall made a nice grab though on a poorly thrown Henne ball

I only wish my criticism had anything to do with play calling

Its the effort I'm wary of........they are going through the motions like a team that is a clear SB favorite........they are NOT a clear SB favorite by any means

a lot of good things happened for them 3 yrs ago.....they were more crafty than dominant even then

Our O Line cannot get the push we need, and our back seven are very very average

given those conditions you have to play like every game is your last.........every game

bringing in Matt Leinert is the Fnnnnn kiss of death........if ever there was a great college QB that could not make the leap its this useless POS

Brett Bohmar has played quite well give the circumstances..........they should have stuck with Brett............Bretts do well in the NFL BTW

hahahah brett bohmar.

spell it as you will.......the kid has the mickey mantle aura about him..........he's got nice touch and is not afraid to take off......he's quite quick and punishing for a QB........hes a gamer

Leinert is a bag of crap.............he Fnnnnnnnn AWFUL