SportsWrath

Micah Johnson Reportedly Gets The Final Open Roster Spot

Mr. P

we had one open roster spot going into this mini-camp,

beat writers are reporting its Micah Johnson, who filled it.

Inside_Football

LB Micah Johnson (Kentucky) is reportedly the lucky recipient of the Giants' final open roster spot.

OMFG! Tackles low with his shoulder AND wraps up?! About f'ning time we found a proper tackler. I love it! :clap:

Wasn't J.Load from Kentucky? Or am I thinking 'Kentucky Fried Chicken'?

are you watching a different video? He doesn't seem to be wrapping up at all just throwing his body at the RB,Johnson was a projected 1st rounder back in August he didn't live up to the hype, think he is more of a 3-4 TED LB, he might not make it past final roster cuts come training camp

Overview

A three-time all-SEC honoree, Johnson leaves Kentucky as one of the most productive defenders in school history. The highly touted prep prospect made an immediate impact for the Wildcats, posting 29 tackles to earn a spot on the all-SEC Freshman team in 2006.

Despite splitting time, he had 48 tackles, including five tackles for loss in 2007. Though he missed two and half games with recurring knee sprains in 2008, Johnson enjoyed his most consistent season as a junior. He finished second on the team in tackles with 93, but led the 'Cats with 13 tackles for loss and was recognized as a first-team all-SEC performer by league coaches.

Johnson strongly considered leaving after his junior campaign, but returned after only receiving a mid-round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee. Johnson again struggled with recurring knee injuries as a senior, but posted the finest numbers of his career.

His 105 stops (including 6.5 tackles for loss) earned him second-team all-conference honors. Unfortunately, Johnson suffered a torn MCL in his right knee in the waning moments of the team's loss to Clemson in the Music City Bowl.

Teams are intrigued by Johnson's size and athleticism, but the recurring knee injuries are a concern. His latest injury kept him out of the all-star games, but did not keep him working out for teams before the draft. When healthy, he's a legitimate run plugger in the middle that can help a club immediately.

Analysis

Read and React: Highly aggressive run defender. Can be beaten with effective play-action. Typically diagnoses run plays, showing the burst to slice through the line and stop the back for a loss. Feels blockers coming and protects himself from cuts. Sniffs out screens and draws. Rarely out of position against the run.

Pass defense: Only marginal straight-line speed and is stiff when asked to change direction in coverage. Shows at least adequate instincts for zone, but isn't a natural in this area.

Pass rush: Good size and strength to rush the passer. Typically relies on a simple bull rush, but can get under the pads of the blocker and push him into the pocket. Times his blitzes well and shows a closing burst when the ballcarrier is near.

Run defense: A decided strength in his game. Reads the action and shows a good initial burst to slice through the gap and close to make the tackle at or near the line of scrimmage. Good size and strength to take on and shed blockers, though he needs to be more consistent. Has a tendency to play too upright and can get locked up by blockers, but has good strength to disengage when he keeps his pad level low. Flashes the strength to pull down the ballcarrier with arm tackles while engaged with blockers. At his best playing in the box, as he has only moderate speed to beat the back to the sideline. Protects his knees from the cut block by sprawling and keeping his head on a swivel.

Tackling: Typically a strong, secure tackler in tight quarters and in space. Forceful hitter who has shown the ability to force fumbles, but could do a better job of wrapping up securely, as he'll launch himself into the ballcarrier (but also the potential to miss tackles). At least moderate lateral quickness and balance to break down in space and make the reliable open-field tackle on elusive ballcarriers. Good hustle laterally and downfield to make the play.

Intangibles: Has had multiple knee injuries, including one that required arthroscopic surgery in 2007 and twice losing time in 2009 to MCL injuries. Suffered his latest MCL injury in the final moments of the loss to Clemson in the Music City Bowl. Suspended in the spring of 2007 due to academics.

Career Notes

Went through the National Football League evaluation process but chose to return to Kentucky for his senior season in 2009 … Developed into an All-Southeastern Conference linebacker during the 2008 season … Has made notable progress each season of his career … Team's starting middle linebacker … Displays noteworthy lateral speed in getting to the ball … His experience as a high school offensive star has helped him play effectively in pass defense … Has appeared in 36 career games, earning 14 starting assignments … Has 180 tackles in his career, including 17 for loss … Brother of current Wildcat Christian Johnson, they will go through their senior seasons together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he's training camp fodder. If the Giants wouldn't bite on Sean Lee because of perrenial knee problems, I don't see them keeping this guy if for no other reason than with his knees, he'll be hurt by the end of training camp or at least in the first exhibition game.

But you never know. The fun part of training camp is that some kid always rises to the occassion and surprises you. Usually one or two players make it all the way to the big team. My bet is on Nate Collins or maybe WR Tim Brown from Rutgers (after beating out Moss). Who knows, maybe someone like Jim Cordle or Dennis Landolt will beat out Whimper. Time will tell and we always lose a couple of regular players to injury before the season starts (knock on wood) and will need replacements.

are you watching a different video? He doesn't seem to be wrapping up at all just throwing his body at the RB,Johnson was a projected 1st rounder back in August he didn't live up to the hype, think he is more of a 3-4 TED LB, he might not make it past final roster cuts come training camp

Dude we must be 'cause I see most of those tackles finish with his arms around the opponent's hips or knees, just like they should be.

Dude we must be 'cause I see most of those tackles finish with his arms around the opponent's hips or knees, just like they should be.

some are but some hes just throwing his body around, I would say a bit inconsistent

I am pretty sure we will need to fill Feagles position with Jy Bond or Matt Dodge

Yeah but we're running at the expanded camp roster size, not the final 53. The 'extra' spot just means one more 'try-out' gets to come to camp. Bond & Dodge were already counted.

Yeah but we're running at the expanded camp roster size, not the final 53. The 'extra' spot just means one more 'try-out' gets to come to camp. Bond & Dodge were already counted.

yeah what is that 83 per camp?

The more I read up on this guy, the more I like him. His knees scare the hell out of me, but if he can avoid getting chopped and keep those knees from getting hit, it sounds like he's a very talented player. A lot of teams were after him so there must be something there.