SportsWrath

Joseph Linval v. Sean Lee

JMFP

This is really where, in my opinion, the 2010 draft swings for the Giants.

If Linval is truly a disruptive presence, then maybe it was a better pick than Sean Lee.

I have a hard time believing that Linval is truly that much better than Lee to merit a "best available" choice over a "glaring need" choice.

I don't know how much of the LB problems were based on Sheridan's "wait until they run by you before making a move" defensive plan.

But to say that Ray Lewis is great because of the space-eaters in front of him is a huge stretch. Ray Lewis has a nose for the ball that can't be compared to anyone playing today....you'd have to go back to Lawrence Taylor to find a linebacker that was as relentless and intuitive.

That seems to be Reese's logic: find some guys in the middle that can clog up blockers, and then let our LB's make plays.....the problem is, do we have those guys on the team? The jury is out in my opinion.

Heres the thing and I've said this in other threads as well, how do we know the coaches arnt happy with the LBs we have. Obviously leading up to the draft the coaches sit down with Reese and Co and go over what would be the positions of need and how in the draft can fill them. Some where in these multiple meeting, someone on the coaching staff must of made an argument for that the LBs we have are going to work this year. My guess it was Fewell since he is the one running the D and all and since he will know which LBs will fit the best.

It's not like Reese went into the draft going "I'm not drafting any LBs just because", it must of been agreed upon that our LBs that we have plus drafting Dillard (who by all reports say the Giants really liked him) are going to be good enough for Fewell's new D. Maybe Fewell and the D coaches sat down with Reese and said "Hey the opposing O-line was opening up six foot wide holes that the RB can get threw and given the QB 10 hours to throw, get me some youth on the defensive line"

I know some people like to make it seem Jerry has a thing against LBs (and "blacks") but in all honesty everyone from the assistant D-line coach to the HC all have a say in what will make the team work. My general opinion is that during the meeting leading into the draft that with the new D-coordinator that LBs weren't that much of an issue.

Sean Lee is a good football player, but the knock on him is that his knees are gone. He missed the entire 2008 season with knee injuries, then turned around and missed 3 games last season because of his knees again.

He's football smart, but not particularly athletic or speedy. He uses his brain rather than his athleticism to make plays.

Regardless....after the troubles the Giants have had keeping players healthy, I don't think they wanted to grab another player who's entire history is more about his medical problems than his playing ability. If Lee had great knees and never had medical problems, the Giants would've probably targeted him in the first round. Virtually all scouts said he would have been a first round pick if it wasn't for his glaring knee problems. The pretty much all had him going in the middle rounds because he was too risky to burn a high draft pick on.

Joseph on the other hand, is a stud and most analysts had him going off the board as a first round pick. To me...the decision was a no brainer. Especially considering that Dillard was rated higher than Lee by the Giants' staff. The Giants were sweating bullets that Dillard would still be there in the 4th and would've grabbed him in the 3rd, except that there was no way that they could pass up Mitch Petrus who everyone figured would be gone in the 2nd round and one analyst had him as a first rounder.

The Giants did fine last week. Don't get worried.

Sean Lee is a good football player, but the knock on him is that his knees are gone. He missed the entire 2008 season with knee injuries, then turned around and missed 3 games last season because of his knees again.

He's football smart, but not particularly athletic or speedy. He uses his brain rather than his athleticism to make plays.

Regardless....after the troubles the Giants have had keeping players healthy, I don't think they wanted to grab another player who's entire history is more about his medical problems than his playing ability. If Lee had great knees and never had medical problems, the Giants would've probably targeted him in the first round. Virtually all scouts said he would have been a first round pick if it wasn't for his glaring knee problems. The pretty much all had him going in the middle rounds because he was too risky to burn a high draft pick on.

Joseph on the other hand, is a stud and most analysts had him going off the board as a first round pick. To me...the decision was a no brainer. Especially considering that Dillard was rated higher than Lee by the Giants' staff. The Giants were sweating bullets that Dillard would still be there in the 4th and would've grabbed him in the 3rd, except that there was no way that they could pass up Mitch Petrus who everyone figured would be gone in the 2nd round and one analyst had him as a first rounder.

Good points about Sean Lee's knees. That's not something that can be ignored....and Reese has zero patience with players who can't stay on the field.

I don't know enough about Linval Joseph.....I just hope he's all-that.

I suppose alot of this depends on three things:

Is our current LB crew adequate (I'd say "no"....but that assumes Goff,and Kehl are what we've seen....and they are both young).

Can Dillard step up?....again, this is a tough call. Playing behind a monster like Suh will help any LB's stats.

Will Reese sign a free agent LB?...... Nas asked this question in another thread....I simply don't know. I would assume so, but I also assumed that we'd get pick a LB within the 1st 2 rounds, and we didnt.

This post has made me feel a lot better about things.

i think youre timeline is a little off here.

we got mitch petrus in the 5th round, after taking dillard in teh 4th. chad jones was our 3rd rounder.