SportsWrath

Damn! Looks like Mauer signed a 10-yr contract with Twins

BleedinBlue

Just read that Mauer is signing a 10-year contract with the Twins. That means he won't be wearing pinstripes and he'll probably be one of those on the "greatest player never to reach the series" list.

link

no matter how good a player might be when healthy. When a player is constantly spending time on the dl year in and year out, its never a good idea to give him a 10 year deal.

no matter how good a player might be when healthy. When a player is constantly spending time on the dl year in and year out, its never a good idea to give him a 10 year deal.

Very true....but he's the best catcher (perhaps baseball player) in the majors right now. Posada is getting long in the tooth and we have to seriously be looking for a high quality catcher. Montero can hit, but I don't think he's destined to be a catcher. Hopefully, he improves as catcher and maybe he's the answer. Somehow I doubt it though.

I'm a Yankee fan who would love to have a guy like Mauer take over when Posada retires.

But, I'm glad to see him stick with the Twins....he's a local Minnesota guy from what I understand.

Free agency has turned players into mercenaries.

I'm a Yankee fan who would love to have a guy like Mauer take over when Posada retires.

But, I'm glad to see him stick with the Twins....he's a local Minnesota guy from what I understand.

Free agency has turned players into mercenaries.

Yeah....you're right. Loyalty in baseball is passé for most....save Jeter, Posada, Bernie, and Mo.

I like the fact that he's locked into a team that won't be a future problem for the Yanks. Had he gone free agent and landed on the Sox roster, it would truly suck.

And still...in the end, it's all about pitching if you want to be a perrenial winner. We have some big bats that can score bushels of runs already. "Money-in-the-bank" pitchers are hardest to come by.

Piazza OWNED Clemens. I don't know where your getting your info from, but Piazza regularly torched that piece of shit.

The Mets would have won the world series if Piazza had the balls to go to the mound and take out Clemens after the rocket threw a fastball between his eyes. That would've gotten the Mets going, but instead he did nothing. Even after Clemens threw a broken bat at his feet, Piazza acted scared.

IMO, that was the defining moment of that series. Had Piazza gone off the deep end instead of squatting, the outcome would have been entirely different.

The Mets would have won the world series if Piazza had the balls to go to the mound and take out Clemens after the rocket threw a fastball between his eyes. That would've gotten the Mets going, but instead he did nothing. Even after Clemens threw a broken bat at his feet, Piazza acted scared.

IMO, that was the defining moment of that series. Had Piazza gone off the deep end instead of squatting, the outcome would have been entirely different.

No they wouldn't. They would have won the world series if Timo Perez ran hard.

the 2000 Mets has to be the worst team in the history of baseball to make it to the world series....and that my friends is the reason why they lost.

other than Mike Piazza and I guess you can say a steroid using Edgardo Alphonso, that line up was 2010 SF Giants bad.

the 2000 Mets has to be the worst team in the history of baseball to make it to the world series....and that my friends is the reason why they lost.

other than Mike Piazza and I guess you can say a steroid using Edgardo Alphonso, that line up was 2010 SF Giants bad.

The 1999 Mets were much, much better.

Never saw the 2006 Cards or 87 Twins huh?

Anyway the 2000 Mets were not a great team, but they could pitch and had 2 lefty starters that were very good in Hampton and Leiter and a solid overall bullpen aside from benitez in the big spot.

Hugh just explained to the idiots the reason WHY PIAZZA could not charge the mound after Clemens threw the bat at him(he did not hit him in the WS that was in a regular season back end of a day night doubleheader when Piazza was in the middle of a 7-9 4 homers 12 rbis stretch vs that juiced up piece of shit clemens)the team was not very good and had they lost Mike Piazza for an inning let alone multiple games they would have had no shot to stay even competitive.

I will say this, had Timo run the series might have been a tad more interesting. I think what sealed it was what Cone said in his book, after slumping down the stretch and only winning 87 games the Yankees went on a new roids cycle and it enabled them to recover from that 3-15 stretch to close the season.

• 1 month later...

By getting himself ejected and probably suspended???