SportsWrath

Yanks eyeing Lackey

BleedinBlue

According to this morning's news, the Yankees are interested in Lackey. They would put him in the rotation with C.C., Burnett, Petite, and let Joba and Hughs compete for the 5th spot.

I'd be happy with that.

The article also said that the Yanks see this years free agent crop as being fairly weak and are saving their money for next years crop when they want to focus on Roy Halladay and Joe Mauer. It also said that if they can't come to terms with Damon and/or Matsui, that they will look at Matt Holliday or Jason Bay.

the best free agent pitcher this off season scares the shit out of me, rich harden. I really cant decide if the yankees should take a chance on him...I dont think he has ever pitched 150 innings in a season...but when he is healthy, he is arguably the best pitcher in baseball and is the number one swing and miss pitcher in the game.

There is a part of me that says, fuck it, sign Harden and hope for the best

the best free agent pitcher this off season scares the shit out of me, rich harden. I really cant decide if the yankees should take a chance on him...I dont think he has ever pitched 150 innings in a season...but when he is healthy, he is arguably the best pitcher in baseball and is the number one swing and miss pitcher in the game.

There is a part of me that says, fuck it, sign Harden and hope for the best

He's a big risk in my opinion. If we had 4 solid starters, his glass arm would be a nice addition to the back of the rotation where if he faltered, he could move to the bullpen or be replaced by Hughes or Joba. In fact, he might actually be at his best in the bullpen if he would settle for it.

Unless Pettitte retires, I don't see a need for another starter. Don't forget, we also have Wang, and that makes him, Joba and Hughes vying for two starting spots. And, we can also put together a package to lure Halliday away from the Jays if their new GM is up for it.

As far as M. Holliday and Bay go, they will be expensive. In fact, the Mets will be crazy if they don't go all out for both of them.

wang wont be ready until at least July and thats barring any type of set backs or ineffectiveness. Bottom line is, wang is not in the yankees plans for 2010.

Halladay is going to cost a lot...basically, the yankees would have to empty the farm for him...and that might not be enough

wang wont be ready until at least July and thats barring any type of set backs or ineffectiveness. Bottom line is, wang is not in the yankees plans for 2010.

Halladay is going to cost a lot...basically, the yankees would have to empty the farm for him...and that might not be enough

It would be nice is Wang came back and was the Wang of old. But it will be a challenge for him.

I don't think the Yanks would be willing to trade players for Halladay because he would just end up jumping into the free agent market at the end of next season. Whoever trades for Halladay (assuming he will be traded), will have him for one year. And the Jays want an awful lot in return. Yanks will sit back and dive into free agency when he is available at the end of the year and they won't have to part with every prospect in the farm to get him.

look, you dont go from winning 103 games to non contention...it just doesnt happen. The Yankees dont need to do much this offseason. If they bring back Damon or Matsui theyre just about done. They dont need Bay or Holliday or Lackey to contend...the Yankees would be smrt and try and sign some high upside pitchers(Harden, Sheets) to smart deals. The will need an outfielder, but if they bring Damon back, Im fine with an outfield of Damon, Melky, Swisher, Gardner and have Action Jackson compete for the 5th spot with the Eric Hinske types. Future FA markets are going to be much better. They shouldnt waste any money this year on long term contracts.