SportsWrath

Nicks' MRI Brings Good News

Mr. P

large_hakeem-nicks-new-york-giants-injury-914.jpg

MRI reveals NY Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks does not have Lisfranc joint injury in left foot

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Monday September 14, 2009, 12:59 PM

Jim McIsaac/Getty

The Giants and first-round pick Hakeem Nicks received good news Monday, when an MRI exam revealed that the Lisfranc joint in the receiver's injured left foot was not damaged, according to someone with knowledge of the results of the examination.

The person spoke on a condition of anonymity because the Giants have not provided specifics on the injury and the person is not authorized to speak for the Giants or Nicks.

The news that Nicks' Lisfranc joint, which is located in the center of the foot and connects the metatarsal bones (those in the toes) to the tarsal bones (those in the arch), is unharmed means that Nicks should return from his foot sprain within 2-3 weeks.

Lisfranc injuries are notoriously painful and slow healing. It is an injury that is not unfamiliar to the Giants, either. Justin Tuck and former Giants defensive end Michael Strahan have both been limited by lingering injuries to Lisfranc joints.

Source: The Star-Ledger

Hmmm, I'm not so sure that he will even dress unless another wideout is held out. Ramses is probably going to need a bit more coaching and waiting his turn before he even gets a chance to play.

i agree with this except maybe he will dress.

Nicks and Ware probably out at least 2 weeks

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer 36 minutes ago

Coach Tom Coughlin indicated Monday that the timeframe was a minimum and theplayers may be out longer.

Nicks, the team’s first-round draft pick, sprained his left foot in thefourth quarter of the Giants’ 23-17 win over the Washington Redskins on Sunday.He spent the final minutes of the game sitting on the sidelines with crutches athis side. Nicks caught two passes for 18 yards.

Coughlin said his understanding was that doctors have ruled out a moreserious sprain that could’ve knocked Nicks out for the season.

“Let’s face it, any time you take a player out, it doesn’t help,” Coughlinsaid, noting that the rookie from North Carolina will miss the opportunity topractice and continue developing a rapport with quarterback Eli Manning(notes).

Ware, the third back behind Brandon Jacobs(notes) and Ahmad Bradshaw(notes), dislocatedhis left elbow returning the opening kickoff. He stood on the sidelines in thesecond half with his arm in a sling.

With only three halfbacks on the roster, Coughlin said that the Giants mighthave to consider a player move.

Cornerback Kevin Dockery(notes) is feeling better after missing the game with ahamstring problem.

Fellow cornerback Aaron Ross(notes), last season’s starter, is probably not goingto practice again this week because of a hamstring that he hurt in trainingcamp.

Ross had platelet rich plasma therapy done on the hamstring last week. Inthat procedure, a tube of a patient’s blood is taken and put it in a centrifugeand spun, producing concentrated platelets, which contain growth factors thataccelerate tissue repair and regeneration. The platelets are then injected intothe injury site.

“I’m feeling a difference, but it’s still not completely healed yet,” saidRoss, who called his injury frustrating.

Weakside linebacker Michael Boley(notes), who was suspended for the season openerbecause of a domestic violence issue when he played in Atlanta, returned to thelocker room Monday. He had offseason hip surgery and Coughlin was uncertainwhether he would be ready to play against the Cowboys in Dallas on Sunday night.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure that he will even dress unless another wideout is held out. Ramses is probably going to need a bit more coaching and waiting his turn before he even gets a chance to play.

I know but he's such a big target it'd be tempting to see how he does. None of the other WRs have any height and there might be an opportunity for him to see the field. I'm just being a homer.