SportsWrath

Listening to Sirius NFL Radio

Allstarjim

Peter King, co-hosting with Randy Cross, said that it was a huge win for the Giants that Antonio Pierce wasn't indicted, because the Giants Linebacking corps is "paper thin". :blink: :mad:

Really? I think at every linebacker position there is either no drop off or little drop off in talent from first to second string.

I think in the case of Danny Clark and Clint Sintim, it's more of a matter of potential, but yesterday Tuck said Sintim looks really good and he came into camp in phenomenal shape. Obviously Blackburn has started I believe at every linebacker position and has been solid, Giants wouldn't miss a beat if he had to fill in for Antonio. And Kehl is going to prove to everyone that he has the talent to start at the WIL on most NFL teams. I don't think he's ahead of Boley, because Boley is one of the better WIL's in the NFL, but Kehl could get to that status someday. I know I can be a bit of a homer, but to say that we are thin at the position is just douche-like.

their linebacking corps is fairly thin ASJ....its not horrible...but they have a few unkowns...like Sintim, Wilkeson, can he stay healthy...can blackburn play full time how is Kiehl on a full time basis

Well Ppod, I don't have those concerns. Personally I think Wilkinson will be lucky to make the team. But we already know Blackburn can play full-time because he's done it. He had 8 starts last year and played well. He's best in the MLB role, though, and we know he always puts in tremendous effort.

As for Kehl, we may not have seen enough of him, but the Giants coaches graded him out very highly on the snaps he took last year... he said on BBI that he got the second highest grade on the team behind Justin Tuck (I know nothing about how they graded, though). I believe Kehl is a real player.

I think the biggest question mark is Sintim, and if I'm right.... having a 2nd round pick with great pass rushing skills be your biggest question mark, that is a good place to be.

OK, it wasn't Peter King. It's supposed to be Bob Papa or Peter King hosting with Randy Cross on this show, and I knew it wasn't Papa, so I assumed it was King. I think it's Adam Schein.

EDIT* It was Adam Schein... and he just said that the Patriots, Chargers, and Eagles, in that order, have the best rosters in the NFL from top to bottom. What a douche.

DOUBLE EDIT* Adam is co-hosting with Rich Gannon... Randy Cross was on earlier and I guess I didn't pick up on the show change.

Can you really argue? Maybe we aren't paper thin in terms of depth on the roster and quality backups, but when was the last time a Giants linebacker made a play? It's been since before Mike Barrow(he never made plays either) was a Giant, I know that. Our linebackers have been consistently the weak spot on our defensive roster for years now. There's no question that this year isn't any different. Our linebackers simply haven't been that good the past 10-15 years, Let alone good enough to warrant Sirius NFL programs praising us for the group.

Year after year we spend less and less attention on linebackers. Hopefully Simtin turns into something because next year I believe we will get rid of Clark, Pierce, and probably someone like Blackburn.

Can you really argue? Maybe we aren't paper thin in terms of depth on the roster and quality backups, but when was the last time a Giants linebacker made a play? It's been since before Mike Barrow(he never made plays either) was a Giant, I know that. Our linebackers have been consistently the weak spot on our defensive roster for years now. There's no question that this year isn't any different. Our linebackers simply haven't been that good the past 10-15 years, Let alone good enough to warrant Sirius NFL programs praising us for the group.

Year after year we spend less and less attention on linebackers. Hopefully Simtin turns into something because next year I believe we will get rid of Clark, Pierce, and probably someone like Blackburn.

10-15 years is accurate- except some of those years the entire Defense wasn't very good so there wasn't s big divide. But your point is a good one- we are focused on strengthening the front 4 and back 4 first and foremost.

10-15 years is accurate- except some of those years the entire Defense wasn't very good so there wasn't s big divide. But your point is a good one- we are focused on strengthening the front 4 and back 4 first and foremost.

Yah, you're right. For example, who can forget 1999 and the great linebacking crew of Scott Galyon, Corey Widmer, Marcus Buckley, Pete Monty, and well, the great Jesse Armstead...

Seriously, Jesse really was the last great Giants linebacker.

But, seeing as the strong and deep front 4 (pro bowl ends) with solid defensive backs model we've been following lately has been working for us, there's really no need to complain just yet. But it would be nice to have that one stud linebacker such as an Armstead that can do more than just tackle. I remember a stretch of time when none of our linebackers recorded a pick or a forced fumble.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that I believe we kind of are paper thin at linebacker, talent wise, at least. We don't have a single impact player at any LB spot. So I'm assuming that's what this guy meant when he said paper thin.

If it's any consolation, I do believe that Clint Simtin will be that impact player for us....eventually. Michael Boley could very well be that impact player too...

Yah, you're right. For example, who can forget 1999 and the great linebacking crew of Scott Galyon, Corey Widmer, Marcus Buckley, Pete Monty, and well, the great Jesse Armstead...

Seriously, Jesse really was the last great Giants linebacker.

But, seeing as the strong and deep front 4 (pro bowl ends) with solid defensive backs model we've been following lately has been working for us, there's really no need to complain just yet. But it would be nice to have that one stud linebacker such as an Armstead that can do more than just tackle. I remember a stretch of time when none of our linebackers recorded a pick or a forced fumble.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that I believe we kind of are paper thin at linebacker, talent wise, at least. We don't have a single impact player at any LB spot. So I'm assuming that's what this guy meant when he said paper thin.

If it's any consolation, I do believe that Clint Simtin will be that impact player for us....eventually. Michael Boley could very well be that impact player too...

Michael Boley IS an impact player. Boley isn't a young rook coming in and the Giants don't know what they are getting. They are getting a long, fast, coverage linebacker that is going to help neutralize some of the running backs we will face (like Brian Westbrook) in the passing game. He should be an effective blitzer as well. He is a prototypical WIL, and this guy has skills.

Personally, I've seen Kehl make some great plays. I'm high on that guy, too. But overall, Storm, I see your point regarding the quality of linebackers we have. My point is that the guys we have aren't exactly scabs. Clark and Pierce... those guys aren't going to the Pro Bowl, but they aren't exactly trash, either. They are pretty solid linebackers. And my point about the paper thin comment is that the guys behind them are just as good as the starters or there is very little drop off. I think Sintim will be past Clark on the depth chart by midseason... I know that is speculative, but that's my feeling. I think Blackburn is every bit as good athletically, mentally, as Pierce, and has unmatched tenacity. And Kehl, I already brought him up. I don't think he's as good as Boley, but I think he will prove to be almost as good.

This is what Osi said...."Let me tell you…I haven’t seen a team like this, as far as depth-wise since I’ve been here, we’re solid at every position, I mean every position. I mean we look real good on paper right now, but as soon as we get on the field we’ll see what we really have."

I'm pretty sure he was including the linebackers in that statement. I agree that the focus has been on the front four and back four, but I'm also saying that this linebacking corps is the best we've had in a while, and they sure as hell aren't a liability.

Michael Boley IS an impact player. Boley isn't a young rook coming in and the Giants don't know what they are getting. They are getting a long, fast, coverage linebacker that is going to help neutralize some of the running backs we will face (like Brian Westbrook) in the passing game. He should be an effective blitzer as well. He is a prototypical WIL, and this guy has skills.

Personally, I've seen Kehl make some great plays. I'm high on that guy, too. But overall, Storm, I see your point regarding the quality of linebackers we have. My point is that the guys we have aren't exactly scabs. Clark and Pierce... those guys aren't going to the Pro Bowl, but they aren't exactly trash, either. They are pretty solid linebackers. And my point about the paper thin comment is that the guys behind them are just as good as the starters or there is very little drop off. I think Sintim will be past Clark on the depth chart by midseason... I know that is speculative, but that's my feeling. I think Blackburn is every bit as good athletically, mentally, as Pierce, and has unmatched tenacity. And Kehl, I already brought him up. I don't think he's as good as Boley, but I think he will prove to be almost as good.

This is what Osi said...."Let me tell you…I haven’t seen a team like this, as far as depth-wise since I’ve been here, we’re solid at every position, I mean every position. I mean we look real good on paper right now, but as soon as we get on the field we’ll see what we really have."

I'm pretty sure he was including the linebackers in that statement. I agree that the focus has been on the front four and back four, but I'm also saying that this linebacking corps is the best we've had in a while, and they sure as hell aren't a liability.

Sorry man, this isn't Julian Peterson we are talking about. If he wasn't a Giant, you would have never heard of him.

And I by no means think we have scrubs in there...We just have guys that can make tackles if the ball carrier somehow gets passed our stud DLine...other than that and aside from Boley's potentiall, we still have no one who can cover Brian Westbrook....

I know what you meant about the backups not being much of a drop off from the starters, but that's not necessarily good when the starting linebackers possibly wouldn't be starting linebackers on other teams...and I feel that this is what the guy on Sirius was getting at...

Sorry man, this isn't Julian Peterson we are talking about. If he wasn't a Giant, you would have never heard of him.

You're talking about Boley? I've followed Boley MUCH longer than when the Giants signed him. His 2007 season made me take notice of him. 93 solo tackles, 107 overall. Had a couple of picks, a couple of FF and a few sacks.

The deal is that he's coming off a down year. New coach came in and he didn't fit well with the system, got in the doghouse of Mike Smith a little, but the talent is all there. The skills are all there. Trust me on Boley, this guy is a huge upgrade. Just because you guys didn't know who he was before, you will this year, he's going to make some plays.

You're talking about Boley? I've followed Boley MUCH longer than when the Giants signed him. His 2007 season made me take notice of him. 93 solo tackles, 107 overall. Had a couple of picks, a couple of FF and a few sacks.

The deal is that he's coming off a down year. New coach came in and he didn't fit well with the system, got in the doghouse of Mike Smith a little, but the talent is all there. The skills are all there. Trust me on Boley, this guy is a huge upgrade. Just because you guys didn't know who he was before, you will this year, he's going to make some plays.

I will take your word for it then, :)

I just know that he got kicked out of the starting lineup last year....but essentially, I could have cared less what the Falcons were doing the past couple years...it would definitely be nice to have a linebacker who can pick a few passes off or at least break them up...not running 6 steps behind them looking like a horse trying to grab a carrot attached to its nose.