SportsWrath

2010 Draft

socalscholar

I have had a bit of a look towards 2010 and draft possibilites

Key factors will be the likely roster changes.

I think Pierce is gone plus Hixon, Moss, Whimper, Cofield, Robbins, Clark, Wilkinson, Dockery and CC Brown are all coming off contract (and could get better money elsewhere), Hixon and Cofield in particular could be in line for big pay days.

I think it is reasonable to assume that LB, DT, OL, DB and perhaps WR are the positions we are most likely to be looking at.

I am not sure Spikes will be available, but I like Sean Lee (Penn State) in the 2nd round (assuming he bounces back from injury); Rolando McClain (Alabama), Joe Pawelek (Baylor), Micah Johnson (Kentucky) are other good early MLB prospects. Sean Weatherspoon (Missouri) could be intriging but seems more a WLB.

WR Brandon LaFell (LSU) could be a great value pick late in round 1. WR may not be an urgent priority, but if Hixon and Moss aren't back then extra talent may be needed. LaFell and Nicks would give 2 WRs with legitimate #1 potential; combined with Smith, Barden and Manningham and Eli would have a very loaded WR group for some time (and great salary cap value).

OT Ciron Black(LSU) could be in the late round 1 mix, primarily to groom as McKenzie's replacement. But a combo of Beatty and Black could certainly allow Diehl to move inside. The Giants certainly love to upgrade the trenches.

DT is very much an option and very likely a need; even if Cofield is resigned, Robbins is almost certainly gone, plus Bernard is the wrong side of 30.

Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Geno Atkins and Terrence Cody will likely be gone, but there is still plenty of talent around with guys like Marvin Austin (North Carolina), Jeff Owens (Georgia), Brian Price (UCLA), Lawrence Marsh (Florida), DeMarcus Granger (Oklahoma), Jared Odrick (Penn State), Vince Oghobaase (Duke), Al Woods (LSU), Arthur Jones (Syracuse), Boo Robinson (Wake Forest) and Dan Williams (Tennessee) plus guys like Mike Williams (Pittsburgh), Alan-Michael Cash (NC State), Charles Alexander (LSU), Averell Spicer (USC) and Ekom Udofia (Stanford) - there are plenty of DTs to choose from

I think S and CB (Berry amd Mays willl likely be long gone)will be more mid-late round picks. I don't see anyone that particularly grabs me early at this stage (or it being a priority need); Nate Allen (South Florida) is a guy I like in the mid rounds.

I don't see any other positions going early, unless perhaps a stud DE is available (and DE is loaded again next year); George Selvie (Southern Floirida) or Brandon Lang (Troy) may be too good to pass up in the 2nd round

• 3 weeks later...