SportsWrath

Update on Lt. Col. Gadson

Lubeck

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05042009/news/...hero_167536.htm

Meet the Bionic Fan.

Iraq war hero and double amputee Lt. Col. Greg Gadson -- whose bravery helped inspire the New York Giants to their last Super Bowl victory -- recently became the first person in the world to land a pair of super-high-tech prosthetic legs that practically think for themselves.

Gadson was made an honorary co-captain of the team and credited as a driving force behind Big Blue's success.

And, at the next Super Bowl, he hopes to be jumping for joy -- literally.

"I was in a wheelchair last time," he said. "Next time, hopefully I'll be up there with the team."

Gadson -- who lost both legs above the knee when his convoy was hit by a roadside bomb two years ago -- has been fitted with the Power Knee, a revolutionary, battery-powered prosthetic developed by Icelandic company Ossur.

"[The prosthetic's] intelligent," Gadson said last week from his home in Virginia. "It gauges my weight, my speed . . . It's the closest thing to normal legs that I've experienced.

"The difference is if you're walking on a normal prosthetic and you step in a pothole in the street, you're going to fall. With this, it's going to accommodate that.

"Going from a regular prosthetic to this is like going from driving a school bus to a top-of-the-range sports car," he said.

Gadson was in Walter Reed hospital two years ago when he was visited by Mike Sullivan, a former teammate from a West Point football squad and an assistant to Giants coach Tom Coughlin.

Sullivan invited Gadson and his family to a game in DC, where the injured warrior spoke to the team about perseverance, spirit and teamwork.

That day, the Giants began a six-game winning streak that took them to Super Bowl XLII.

"The credit I got was a little strong," Gadson said of the wins. "I didn't play. I didn't call a play. But that season, we formed a special bond, and I like to think we inspired each other and helped each other realize what we are capable of."

Gadson, who is still in the Army, got his legs last month. Already, he can walk a mile. The next step is to walk with the aid of one cane instead of two. Then he wants to tackle stairs.

"That's what drives me. I'm taking on my own challenges and trying to live as good a kind of life as I can.

"Whatever happened to me in the past, I now accept it."

That story is pretty touching, yall should read Coughlin's A Team to Believe In...his speech he gave would have motivated the laziest mother fucker on the planet.