SportsWrath

Post Art

Firstnten

NEW BLOOD LIVENS GIANTS' SECONDARY

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

March 29, 2006 -- Gibril Wilson now knows that R.W. McQuarters likes sushi and "all kinds of other weird stuff I couldn't pronounce."

For the revamped Giants secondary, gleaning this sort of information is the first step in turning a group of newcomers into a cohesive unit. These players can lift and run and get in shape on their own, but for the new-look defensive backfield, this particular off-season workout program is all about bonding.

Wilson is practically the last man standing, set to return as the starting strong safety, but all around him a purging has taken place.

For evidence, glance inside the Giants' locker room and see a row of lockers belonging to Sam Madison, McQuarters and Will Demps, side-by-side-by-side, with Madison occupying the corner stall inhabited the past few years by Will Allen.

Madison, released by the Dolphins, was the first player the Giants reached out for and he's here to replace Allen, who, ironically, has found a new home in Miami.

Demps spent four years with the Ravens and is on the scene to replace Brent Alexander, who retired, while McQuarters arrives determined to fight for a starting cornerback job, though he's more likely to serve as a nickel back.

"They said the secondary was a weakness before," Demps said. "Now it's not."

The swiftness shown by the front office in bringing in six new players for the secondary made it clear that bolstering the back end of the defense was the top priority.

Madison was signed to start at one cornerback spot, with second-year Corey Webster likely to join Madison in the lineup.

Will Peterson, injured two of the past three years with a stress fracture in his lower back, currently is not working out with the team and isn't expected to be able to resume his career.

The newcomers all arrived last week at Giants Stadium and the process of getting to know each other is under way.

"You have to get a bond. When you don't have that bond early on in the offseason, that bond is not going to occur when it comes time for the season," Madison said. "That's why I'm here. This is my 10th year. I could have been at home, but then once I come in, they won't know who Sam Madison is."

Reaction to the Giants' interest in LB LaVar Arrington has not exactly prompted a crackle of excitement.

"I'm not going to say he's a guy we need," DE Osi Umenyiora said. "He's an outstanding football player, but we have good football players here. Would I say we need to have him here in order for us to be successful? I don't think so. But any team he goes to he's going to make a better football team, immediately."

Eli Manning is fairly certain which way his parents will be leaning on the night of Sept. 10, when their sons Eli and Peyton face each other when the Giants open their season against the Colts. It will be the first time two brothers start against each other in an NFL game.

"I guess they'll just root for the offense the whole time," Eli said.

TE Jeremy Shockey and WR Plaxico Burress continue to work out in Miami.

LB Chase Blackburn said he is fully recovered from the frightening neck injury he suffered Dec. 24 against the Redskins.

Blackburn, who incurred five herniated discs, two bulging discs and two pinched nerves, said he's added one inch of muscle around his neck to strengthen the area.

paul.schwartz@nypost.com

I thought this was note worthy.

LB Chase Blackburn said he is fully recovered from the frightening neck injury he suffered Dec. 24 against the Redskins.

Blackburn, who incurred five herniated discs, two bulging discs and two pinched nerves, said he's added one inch of muscle around his neck to strengthen the area.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

On a related note, Torbor has yet to fully recover from his hammy injury. I think this only increases the chances or drafting a LB in the 1st round.

Well yeah the giants first pick SHOULD be a LB...Unless they have LB taged latter that they like..Kinda like when thy grabed Short in the latter rounds

where did you hear this?

Giants | Torbor still bothered by hamstring injury

Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:03:45 -0800

Mike Garafolo, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Giants LB Reggie Torbor (hamstring) is still battling a hamstring injury that kept him out of the final regular-season game of the 2005 season and the playoff loss to the Carolina Panthers. Torbor expects to be fully recovered by training camp.

Will Peterson, injured two of the past three years with a stress fracture in his lower back, currently is not working out with the team and isn't expected to be able to resume his career.

I think this is much more derserving of being highlighted then Chase Blackburns neck injury. Although neck injuries are very hard for players to overcome Blackburn is a dime a dozen. You get players like him every year. Peterson is/was an actual starting NFL corner.

I think this is much more derserving of being highlighted then Chase Blackburns neck injury. Although neck injuries are very hard for players to overcome Blackburn is a dime a dozen. You get players like him every year. Peterson is/was an actual starting NFL corner.

good point but I thought that was old news...I was under the impression his career was over during the reg season, when he kept bouncing back to dif Dr's to prove this to the NY org.