SportsWrath

Mets say Murphy is their regular left fielder

Plax 4 Prez

Daniel Murphy is a part-time player no more. New York Mets manager Jerry Manuel said Murphy will be the regular left fielder and no longer share the position with Fernando Tatis, according to the New York Daily News.

Manuel indicated Tatis, a right-handed hitter, is more likely to platoon with lefty hitting Ryan Church in right field.

"I don't want him to get into a strictly platoon situation," Manuel said of Murphy, who produced four hits in 10 at-bats off lefties last year. "I think he's a little better player than that. Also, with Church being left-handed, I kind of see Murphy being a better hitter right now."

It is something of a risky decision since Murphy has only two months of service time and 131 big league at-bats. But Murphy, 23, also owns a .313 career average and an uncommon ability for hitting, making Manuel believe he is ready for a full-time assignment.

"Whatever will give us the best chance to win," Manuel said.

Source: MLB.com

Yahoo!

:)

Daniel Murphy is a part-time player no more. New York Mets manager Jerry Manuel said Murphy will be the regular left fielder and no longer share the position with Fernando Tatis, according to the New York Daily News.

Manuel indicated Tatis, a right-handed hitter, is more likely to platoon with lefty hitting Ryan Church in right field.

"I don't want him to get into a strictly platoon situation," Manuel said of Murphy, who produced four hits in 10 at-bats off lefties last year. "I think he's a little better player than that. Also, with Church being left-handed, I kind of see Murphy being a better hitter right now."

It is something of a risky decision since Murphy has only two months of service time and 131 big league at-bats. But Murphy, 23, also owns a .313 career average and an uncommon ability for hitting, making Manuel believe he is ready for a full-time assignment.

"Whatever will give us the best chance to win," Manuel said.

Source: MLB.com

Yahoo!

:)

That is why he is the anti-Willie. Willie would say something along the lines of... "We know he can hit, so we are going to stick with him until he comes out of his slump"