SportsWrath

LB Ahmad Brooks dismissed from team

HOUND

Wasn't he on Kipers top 10 board a few years ago?

Yea he's a projected top 5 pick, everyone was saying he has what it takes to be the next great LB. And he is great theres no doubt about it. I seen a few of his games, shit I watched VA whenever I got the chance just because of him. In one of the games I saw, he timed the snap so perfectly and jumped over the nose tackle and center to sack the QB. It was unbelievable, like shit you only dream about. Keep in mind this guy is 6'4" and nearly 260lbs. He's a freak and was an imediate impact as soon as he arrived at VA his freshman year. He could have left early, he should have.

He always seemed like a player with a good head on his shoulders, even this past year when he announced he was returning he gave a real good speech. He mentioned how he came to VA to earn a degree and make them ACC champs, he said he has unfinished business and when he walks into a NFL locker room he wants to be walking in with a degree. Then a month later he failed the drug test.

He's a gamble like any other player, he's just more of a high risk now then ever because of the Rickey Williams situation. Personally I think a lot of the current NFL players have at least somked a joint once while they were at college and most turned out to be fine NFL players. Im real high on him as a player as most are and if he were to enter the supplemental draft, which is most likely, I think a team will take him with in the first 3 rounds. He'll have to petition the NFL in order to be included into the draft in April, so thats a long shot. I think more teams might be concerned about his knee injury while few others will turn their heads because of the weed issues. I think we'll be one of the few teams that will turn our heads.

This is old news, but I'd take him in a second. If he was healthy last season, he'd be a top 5 LB in all of college football.

No, the official dismisal just came out today. Before today he was just suspended for spring practices and today he was officially dismissed.

Yea he's a projected top 5 pick, everyone was saying he has what it takes to be the next great LB. And he is great theres no doubt about it. I seen a few of his games, shit I watched VA whenever I got the chance just because of him. In one of the games I saw, he timed the snap so perfectly and jumped over the nose tackle and center to sack the QB. It was unbelievable, like shit you only dream about. Keep in mind this guy is 6'4" and nearly 260lbs. He's a freak and was an imediate impact as soon as he arrived at VA his freshman year. He could have left early, he should have.

He always seemed like a player with a good head on his shoulders, even this past year when he announced he was returning he gave a real good speech. He mentioned how he came to VA to earn a degree and make them ACC champs, he said he has unfinished business and when he walks into a NFL locker room he wants to be walking in with a degree. Then a month later he failed the drug test.

He's a gamble like any other player, he's just more of a high risk now then ever because of the Rickey Williams situation. Personally I think a lot of the current NFL players have at least somked a joint once while they were at college and most turned out to be fine NFL players. Im real high on him as a player as most are and if he were to enter the supplemental draft, which is most likely, I think a team will take him with in the first 3 rounds. He'll have to petition the NFL in order to be included into the draft in April, so thats a long shot. I think more teams might be concerned about his knee injury while few others will turn their heads because of the weed issues. I think we'll be one of the few teams that will turn our heads.

Seeing what you posted there, I am willing to spend a middle round pick on him in either the 2006 draft or the supplemental draft. It's not as if he'll be a TO of the team and destroy us if he doesn't work out.

Back in February Brooks failed a drug test. In 2003 he was charged with possession of marijuana.

I was aware of those indiscretions. I just wasn't sure if there was some other more recent offense. Seems sort of strange timing to wait on the announcement of the dismissal, especially when you consider that delaying the announcement potentially hurt's his availability for the draft. Is Groh being vindictive? I wouldn't think so but the timing is odd.

I saw a clip of the jump over the line play too. It reminded me a lot of when Lavar Arrington made a similar play while at Penn State. It was replayed dozens of times on draft day that season.

From what I read Brooks still has a shot at applying for this years draft. He could also transfer to a Junior College to finish his collegiate career and repair his image.

I think it's too early to say injuries have ruined him. For all we know the guy shouldn't even have played last year but instead chose to play through the pain. Now, instead of being labelled a gamer he's branded a a guy coming off a dissapointing season. I agree the off field stuff requires it's due diligence. If he goes supplemental draft I'll be amazed if he lasts three rounds.

I was aware of those indiscretions. I just wasn't sure if there was some other more recent offense. Seems sort of strange timing to wait on the announcement of the dismissal, especially when you consider that delaying the announcement potentially hurt's his availability for the draft. Is Groh being vindictive? I wouldn't think so but the timing is odd.

Yea thats all I have heard about that, there hasnt been anything else to my knowledge. I think Groh was just looking for the best decision he could make. It really only took a month since he failed the drug test. Seeing that this is concerning one of the best football players in college and by far the best on his team, I would think he should take as much time as possible to make the best decision. If it was most other coaches I think Brooks would have been suspended a few games and would have remained on the team. Its going to be interesting to see if Brooks petitions the NFL or if he just declares for the supplemental.

I think it's too early to say injuries have ruined him. For all we know the guy shouldn't even have played last year but instead chose to play through the pain. Now, instead of being labelled a gamer he's branded a a guy coming off a dissapointing season. I agree the off field stuff requires it's due diligence. If he goes supplemental draft I'll be amazed if he lasts three rounds.

Yea I agree I think it would have been better for him to sit. Even if he did come out I couldnt see us drafting him. It seems like we have been really looking at character of a player more so recently then ever. I look Brooks as a player but he does have these issues, I would take him in the third but another team will be more than willing to take him in the 2nd.