SportsWrath

Jacobs to practice

Nesta

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/17/jacobs-mak...ce-with-giants/

Jacobs makes ‘progress,’ returning to practice

Posted: News | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Brandon Jacobs, New York Giants, Tom Coughlin

The Giants and Panthers will play for homefield advantage in the NFC playoffs when they meet Sunday at Giants Stadium. The Giants hope RB Brandon Jacobs can return from a lingering left knee injury to revive an offense that has struggled in back-to-back losses.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Wednesday that Jacobs has made “very good progress” since last week and will return to practice after sitting out last week’s loss to the Cowboys. The Giants will monitor how Jacobs’ knee responds after practice and the following morning during the week.

Coughlin said a return by Jacobs can provide what the offense has lacked while scoring 22 points in the last two weeks.

“[He] does allow us, I think, to establish again who we are and the physical tone,” Coughlin said. “And that is, to me, what has been what we need. We need to have that physical tone again.”

Jacobs, who has dealt with the injury since Week 3 and re-aggravated it in Week 14, said he has learned how to play through the injury. While he was held out last week, he didn’t deny that an attempt to get him on the field this week speaks to the urgency of the game with playoff implications.

“Yeah, this game is very important,” Jacobs said. “You have a good football team coming in here. We are the head honchos of the conference, and this game means a lot to our team. I want to be out there to have better chances for our team to win. Whatever I can do to help us win, I’m all for that.”

Coughlin said WR Domenik Hixon (foot), WR Sinorice Moss (calf), RB Derrick Ward and DT Fred Robbins (shoulder) were among the players who wouldn’t practice Wednesday.

“Yeah, this game is very important,” Jacobs said. “You have a good football team coming in here. We are the head honchos of the conference, and this game means a lot to our team. I want to be out there to have better chances for our team to win. Whatever I can do to help us win, I’m all for that.”

Think he's willing to play linebacker?