SportsWrath

Toe injury expected to make Pedro miss opener

Plax 4 Prez

Pedro expects to miss Opening Day

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- New York Mets ace Pedro Martinez expects to miss Opening Day because of a nagging toe injury.

Pedro Martinez

Starting Pitcher

New York Mets

4875.jpg

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM W L BB K ERA

31 15 8 47 208 2.82

The three-time Cy Young Award winner has not pitched in a spring training game yet because of a sore right big toe and doesn't think he will be ready to start the season opener April 3 against the Washington Nationals at Shea Stadium.

"Unless I can work some magic, I don't think I'll have enough time," Martinez said Wednesday. "I need at least two outings. You're not going to throw me two innings in a game and expect me to go on Opening Day.

"That's not fair to me, my teammates or anybody," he said.

Left-hander Tom Glavine, who turns 40 on Saturday, will likely start the opener for the Mets.

Martinez played long toss Wednesday and then finished the day with a short stint in the bullpen. He is slated to make his first Grapefruit League start Sunday against the Baltimore Orioles.

"I felt better today," he said. "Much more comfortable. I'm ready to get on the mound and finally get things going."

Martinez said he would trust anyone else in the Mets' rotation to start the opener, including "that old goat that's beside my locker." he joked, referring to Glavine.

When you think about it, it's for the best. The Sox rushed Schill back too quickly last year and it came back to haunt them during the stretch and into the playoffs. We don't need him to start so quick, at least quicker then he needs to. We just need him ready for the dog days of summer.

I would rather Pedro rest and make sure he is 100% ready to go in April so that come September he is 100% for the stretch drive. I think the fears of him coming back too soon are something we do not have to worry about, thats why its taken the time it has for the shoe to arrive and Pedro to get accustomed to it. He did not throw all winter long off a mound because he did not have the shoe and he was cautious, no need to worry about him doing anything stupid.