SportsWrath

You are the GM ... What do you do Met fans?

xxi-xxv

Lets hear the plan of attack from Mets (3rd world)nation on what they would do in regards to this roster and the organization on a whole.

Its painfully obvious that this regime of Omar/Bernazrd/Wille/Manuel is really no different than the regimes of Philips/Omar/Bobby V/ Howe/Duquette. Its been about 12 years now and the wheels just seem to spin, with minimal success from time to time to mask the mjor failures.

So what do you guys do? You are the GM. Devise a plan of attack and what you think this organization needs in going forward into a new stadium and a new era.

I have my ideas, but I want to read some of my fellow Met fans ideas as well, so I will post mine later when I gather it all.

Have it at!

I think some of us can write a book about this. As of right now, I cannot figure out Jerry Manual. I like his personality and fire but I don't think the problem with this team was the manager. Obviously Peterson had to go and Hojo should have went along with him. Never should have fired Downs. Their approach is whack. I am not sure but I wonder if some of these guys every heard of working a count? I will have to admit, Delgado has been better at it as of late but there are a few others who are looking to swing at anything, like Reyes and Beltran. When Reyes was hot, anyone notice how he was more patient at the plate?

Okay sorry for getting off track. To be honest with you, the coaching staff is tricky, besides firing Hojo. I would first take away the interim status from Manual and give him a year extension.

Secondly this team needs to get younger. The farm system needs an overhaul. There are a few guys from AA down who get a lot of people excited from Carp, Evans, Murphy, FMart, Kunz, Parnell, Niese, Pena, Davis, Holt, Havens. I can list a few more but I would have to look some of them up. Obviously not all of these prospects are going to make it but it does look promising for the future. I know many really like FMart but one I really like and have liked for a few years now is Carp. He has a great swing but a few holes which can be eventually fixed. Not a real good fielder but if anyone considers Delgado a great first baseman does not know what they are talking about.

I agree with JR. Mets should have never let Rick Down go last year, what did he do that was

wrong?

Trade Oliver Perez to any AL East team because he can only beat the Yankees,

the guy just totally dominates them.

DFA Delgado. Despite his recent outburst with power...he still sucks. Look at the pitches

that his home runs were on, sliders that didn't slide. He can only hit mistakes and his bat speed

is something left to be desired. His defense sucks balls too. You might as well call up Carp or Murphy

I think they can't do any worse that what we have right now.

FORCE Jose Reyes to hit the ball on the ground and utilize his speed, I'm sick and tired

of see him pop up to the shortstop because he wants to hit a homerun all the time. Cut the shit

Jose, your a fast fucker...use it.

Fix David Wright. What happened to him? Personally, I think he just gets way too homerun happy

and tries to pull everything. He pulls off a mediocre slider on the corner and always swings at it.

Hire someone to iron out that leg kick of his that he has. Wasn't HoJo supposed to do that?

Try and trade Martinez and Alou for some prospects. You know some team at the deadline

will overpay for starts that have performed in the playoffs before and are leaders. Mets would have

to eat alot of salary, but if I were GM I would do it.

lol didnt we just do this last month?

from a front office standpoint i take a patient approach and re-stock the farm. i have to realize that i'm limited in what i can and can't do with the money limitations and what not.

we're an okay team like the rest of the league. there's really not anything the mets can realistically do right now besides selling out which isn't happening.

First off I apologize to the fans that the Wlipons have been running an organization based more on meaningful games late in the year and making money than winning.

I would also assure the fans that the Wilpons have fully 100% decided to butt the fuck out, since that is the only way I would ever take the job(well not really but for points sake here)

I would tell the fans, if you are planning on buying a jersey in the next 2 years you might want to think about keeping your options to reyes. wright and possibly church as anyone could be on the clearance rack at any time.

I would tell the fans that I hope they enjoy the new citifield in 2009 and 2010, but there is a good chance that the baseball being played will be not so great, as the organization goes in a direction they have ignored since the late 80's and thats breedind homegrown talent either acquired through trade or drafted that will work together to learn how to win at the lowest of levels in th minors and come together as a team when they hit the majors at some point. I would cite how this method has always been the staple of a successful Mets organization. The main focus will be on scouting and player development. Money spent on useless garbage like Alou and Castillo will be dumped into the farm system to rebuild from the bottom up. Players will be drafted no matter what their price tag will be. No being cheap on sandfwich 1st round picks. Best player available no matter what the cost. 10 million spent now on a prospect could be 100 million saved(cough cough Beltran)down the road.

Now for the roster breakdown. Like I said, everyone not named Wright and Reyes is available. That includes Beltran as in my plan, by the time the team is ready to be good again he will be too old. As for pitchers, I attempt to pawn off Santana as well as like Beltran in my plan he will be 32 33 when the team is ready to compete. Obviously Wagner will be gone and I can probably get some prospects for Heilman, ditto Schoenweis. I keep Maine and Pelfrey and start there as the young 27 and under core I want from my starters. Maybe Neise is an option down the road as well.

Goners are Alou, Delgado, Castillo, Ansderson, Easley, Chavez(maybe keep him if I can deal Beltran and let him play CF until my CF of the future is ready), Castro and Schneider(yes Schneider I can get something of good value for him and he does not fit of my mold of being young when they are ready to compete).

Now you are probably saying, Who the hell plays in 2009? Thats a great question and probably would be dictated more by who could be dealt, but like I said, there is a good chance the baseball might not be so hot, but its to get to a goal.

I believe still that Beltran and Santana can bring back good value. Its not that I think either is a bad player, its just that they are in their prime and by the time I would expect to be ready to win they will not be. Believe me if Wright were 3 years older I would feel the same way.

I know that this will never happen and it may be a bit drastic and I wanted to use my thought process after a win as opposed to a loss, but in my heart of hearts I truly believe the Mets will never have sustained success again unless they go in the direction that they did in or around 1980, when Frank Cashen basically built the team from scratch. This does not mean you cannot add a veteran or two, its just that they have to be the right veteran to help a young team. Like say Hernandez and Carter were in the 80's.

I also think a team that plays together as young guys 18, 19 20 etc in the minors and learns to win together does better. Look at the Yankees of the 90s. All the young core Jeter, Posada, Williams, Mariano, Pettite etc they all played in the minore together and learned how to win together. Same with the 1980's Mets, Dykstra, Gooden, Straw, Backman, Darling all played in he minors together.

Thats my plan, probably a bit drastic, but I am tired of this spending to mask the lack of player development(sans Wright and Reyes whom STeve Philips tried to trade both of them).

Trade Beltran to a team like the Rays or D-Backs for prospects or young major leaguers, preferably an outfielder or 2. Might be hard to do with that contract, but a team that feels it is one player away might do it.

DO NOT trade Pelfrey or anymore pitchers in the system.

Sign Teixeira, who's more of a natural clean up hitter than bunter Beltran, and would provide real protection for Wright. With Beltran and Delgado gone, they'd have plenty of money to sign him.

If Perez turns things around and is more consistent in second half, sign him. Maybe it's the sight of the Yanks, but he looked different today. He was focused and going after them. He was in control. Maybe it's the new pitching coach, and if he found something, we need to re-sign him. I know it will cost alot for a guy who's as up and down as he is, but what's the alternative with Pedro likely done and no pitchers from the farm ready to step up?

Stock up on relievers.

Fire Minaya and lure John Schuerholz out of Atlanta.

I think we're the front runners for Teixera now. With the yanks keen on giving posada some time at 1b and giambi on a tear they may be inclined to pass on the ridiculous numbers for tex.

hopefully giambi would take a discount.

Dear Mets fans,

I am, as you are, disappointed in the results of our season thus far. Because of this, we are going to tweak our philosophy, but we will stop short of a complete overhaul. We believe in the talent we already have and will look to bring in more. Allow me to give you our plan of action. Keep in mind that we know that you expect a winner year in and year out, as do we. Here is our plan:

1. We are thankful for the hard work and professionalism of Moises Alou, but we will no longer play him as an everyday left fielder. Moises will help us as a pinch hitter when and if he returns from injury, and we believe that his bat will come up big for us in bgi situations down the stretch. We are calling up Valentino Pascucci from AAA to be our everday leftfielder. Pascucci is a tremendous power hitter with a knack for getting on base. We feel his presence will make our lineup much more dangerous. Endy Chavez will continue in his role as a fourth outfielder and will step in when called upon for late inning defensive replacements in left field and when an off day is needed for one of the regulars.

2. We are not making any further significant changes to our lineup or pitching staff in 2008, but will re-evaluate our position in the standings as we near the trade deadline. Should we be clearly out of contention, we will attempt to trade Pedro Martinez and possibly Oliver Perez. If we are in first place at this time, or very near first place, we will look to acquire Fuentes from Colorado to be our 8th inning bridge to Wagner. We will dangle Fernando Martinez (if need be) to get him.

3. Going into 2009, we are going to say goodbye to Alou, Delgado, and Pedro Martinez. These expiring contracts will help us make a concerted run at Mark Teixeira, our primary free agent target. However, we are under no illusions that the Braves will simply let him walk. We must be realistic in our expectations and be prepared to not sign him. In that case, we will break camp with an open competition for first base on the major league roster between Nick Evans, Mike Carp, and Ike Davis. We believe one of these players will solidify themselves in that position and become a terrific player for our organization for years. Secondly, whether or not we acquired him via trade in 2008, we will look to sign Brian Fuentes to be a critical component of our bullpen.

From an organizational philosophy, we are committed to our core of Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Church, Santana, Maine, and Pelfrey. However, we will no longer overspend for players who are already on the downside of the bell curve of their careers. We will believe in and thrive through our minor league system, which will be restocked through the draft. We expect to receive additional picks if Martinez, Delgado, and/or Perez sign elsewhere. Luis Castillo's will be the last contract we will have to eat because we overpaid for a player who will give us only diminishing returns.

With these moves, we will remain among the top of the NL East and expect to compete for the division title year in and year out.

I'm not a Mets fan but I would take into consideration how the new ballpark is supposed to play.

Is it a pitchers park? a hitters park? where is the live fields supposed to be? Don't load up on lefty power if the right field porch is not friendly, for instance.

I'm not a Mets fan but I would take into consideration how the new ballpark is supposed to play.

Is it a pitchers park? a hitters park? where is the live fields supposed to be? Don't load up on lefty power if the right field porch is not friendly, for instance.

Dimensions will be similar to Shea, but the right field stands will have a section that will be hanging over the field by 8 feet. No doubt that some flyballs that would be caught at Shea's warning track will find those seats.

I guess there is no way to know yet if the ball will carry better or worse than at Shea, but Shea isn't entirely enclosed and I'm sure wind coming into the park from the outfield has alot to do with it being considered a pitcher's park.

Dimensions will be similar to Shea, but the right field stands will have a section that will be hanging over the field by 8 feet. No doubt that some flyballs that would be caught at Shea's warning track will find those seats.

I guess there is no way to know yet if the ball will carry better or worse than at Shea, but Shea isn't entirely enclosed and I'm sure wind coming into the park from the outfield has alot to do with it being considered a pitcher's park.

yes- its tough to tell until you start playing. they thought Pac Bell Park was going to be a lefty paradise with balls soaring into the water on a regular basis- didn't happen-

can't go wrong with get on base hitters and speed though.

• 4 weeks later...