SportsWrath

What the hell happened???

mws44

Damn! I got married on June 7 and went on a 2 week honeymoon to Hawaii. Things got busy right before the wedding, so the last Mets game I saw was probably around Wednesday June 4. The Mets were winning, everyone was happy, Willie was smiling and laughing in press confrences and it looked like the team turned it around. Couldn't catch any games after that because TV and timing in Hawaii is crazy (6 hour difference).

Then I see a news paper quote of the day "Michael Strahan on retirement"......damn. Oh well, we kinda knew it was coming but still disappointing.

So I wake up in my nice relaxing hotel room on Tuesday morning and flip on espn news to try and catch up on the sporting events of the world as a headline flashes on the screen "Mets fire Willie Randolph, Manual to be named interim manager".....What the? What the hell happened??

Well my wife and I are pretty huge Mets fans. Watch as many games as we can, had Sunday season tix last year (couldn't afford them this year with the wedding) and were extremely disappointed. I liked Willie as a manager, as you can tell from many of the comments I have made in the past on this board. Then they show the graffic that Willie is the second most winning manager in Mets HISTORY!! What kind of bizzaro world is this. When did the Mets ownership get possesed by the Yankee ownership?

Now I am reading how the whole deal went down with Omar flying out after Willie made the trip out to the west coast and axing him after a WIN!?

Man a lot of crap must have happened in those 2 and a half weeks I missed. I saw that they lost 7 of 8 in a stretch, but I still think Willie deserved the rest of the season to get it going, and we will never know how good of a manager he could have been if he was given control of his own clubhouse. Some embarasing times Mets fans.

p.s. Hawaii is fucking awesome. Go if you can kids!

MWS, awesome, man. Congratulations on your nuptials. I am actually getting married this October and going to St. Maarten for the honeymoon (only for a week, though, and not even a whole week, just Monday to Saturday).

It was sad how the Mets treated Willie. I believe Bernazard poisoned the front office as well as the clubhouse, and he continues to do so. Willie was never given a fair shake, and like Phillips said on ESPN, the Mets will have problems until they instill a philosophy of "chain of command". No players talking to Bernazard about the manager and Bernazard telling players what Willie was saying regarding player evaluations in closed door front office meetings. Bernazard is a grade 'A' asshole.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal was. He got fired after a game. NY reporters were pissed because it was after putting the paper to bed so they spun it that way.

Tough titties- there are west coast games- deal with it- and how about in this world of real time technology- getting late scores in the morning paper you lazy asses. :chair:

MWS, awesome, man. Congratulations on your nuptials. I am actually getting married this October and going to St. Maarten for the honeymoon (only for a week, though, and not even a whole week, just Monday to Saturday).

It was sad how the Mets treated Willie. I believe Bernazard poisoned the front office as well as the clubhouse, and he continues to do so. Willie was never given a fair shake, and like Phillips said on ESPN, the Mets will have problems until they instill a philosophy of "chain of command". No players talking to Bernazard about the manager and Bernazard telling players what Willie was saying regarding player evaluations in closed door front office meetings. Bernazard is a grade 'A' asshole.

Congrats Jim. If you haven't already, you are about to hit the serious stress month of helping plan 6 hours of 1 day. That is if you are involved, which I was. It's stressful, but it's a good time when it comes and goes real fast, so enjoy it.

We all knew something was wrong in that club house, and we all pretty much knew what was up with Bernazard. It's amazing that someone can have that much power in the very public business that is baseball and not have to face any outside scrutiny like the manager and GM have to. This is one of the reasons Mets fans feel that there is no accountability I think. We don't get to hear from the real pupet masters, aka the Wilpon brothers and TB. Nice initials. They fit the disease destroying the Mets from the inside.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal was. He got fired after a game. NY reporters were pissed because it was after putting the paper to bed so they spun it that way.

Tough titties- there are west coast games- deal with it- and how about in this world of real time technology- getting late scores in the morning paper you lazy asses. :chair:

yeah you hit the nail on the head. they keep reporting it as him being fired at 3 am. but that's eastern time and this occurred out west. do they think we're all stupid or something?

yeah you hit the nail on the head. they keep reporting it as him being fired at 3 am. but that's eastern time and this occurred out west. do they think we're all stupid or something?

That and the fact that the Mets flew it him 3,000 miles to fire him the NEXT day.

I still don't understand that.

apparently we are because most people bought into it.