SportsWrath

G-Men rumors

Goliath

Saturday, March 18, 2006

News and Rumors for 3/18/06

Filed under: Giants 101— Dan Benton @ 8:50 pm

Once again, as I’ve done recently, I want to inform all of you who read Giants 101 that I am not an insider. I have friends from across the sports world who give me tidbits of information when they can. Sometimes things change, or I am misinformed. It happens. A lot of the time I get very good and valuable information.

I was going to wait until tomorrow morning to post this information, but so much is going on this evening I’m afraid if I wait any longer it will be old news.

Like the last time — I will break it down between news and rumors.

News/Stories:

- The new CBA has raised minimum salaries by $40,000 for every player.

- Here is a great article about Sam Madison that has me very optimistic about him next season.

- Will Allen visited the Saints this past Wednesday. He has also visited the Seahawks and Chiefs.

- The Giants are still trying to re-sign free agent WRTim Carter.

Rumors:

First I want to say this has become very tricky. At this point there are a lot of conflicting reports. At the same time, I have been e-mailed by a source that will remain nameless who has asked me nicely to remove most (almost all) of my Lavar Arrington posts. Lucky for me, I am a BLOGGER and not a journalist. Therefor.. They will remain.

- There is word that Luke Petitgout is being shopped around by the New York Giants. One possible suitor would be the Buffalo Bills who are searching for an offensive tackle. On top of that, line coach Jim McNally is a huge fan of Lukes and may push the Bills to the pull the trigger on any trade proposal that may come up. (Texans may also be interested, but for nothing more than a 4th round pick.)

Since the Giants are unable to cut (they would take a huge hit with nothing in return) Luke and his salary will only increase next season, this may be their only option. They will be seeking a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

- If the Giants were to receive a second round pick for Luke, it’s likely they will spin it off, along with their first round pick, to move up in the draft. They would be focusing on Chad Greenway (unless Arrington is signed) or Santonio Holmes.

- LB Reggie Torbor is another name brought up as possible trade bait. I personally have no idea why the Giants would want to do that. I think Torbor has a tremendous upside. However, this could be a sign of the arrival of Lavar Arrington.

- I also received word that the Giants have moved some salary around. I was not informed if there were contracts restructured as previously rumored, or if the Giants managed to save some money another way. I was told they are trying to free up room for a “second big signing”. (Another sign Arrington will be in NY. I assume he will be the “first big singing”.)

- There has been a lot of talk about defensive tackles. The Giants are clearly in the market for one and their interested has focused in on Sam Adams and Grady Jackson. Most recently I’ve been informed to expect Sam Adams to be signed to a one or two year deal. However, this could change quickly if a better option or a better price were to present itself. The Giants are in no rush to sign a DT at this point, and will wait out the best deal.

- Finally, the update you’ve all been waiting for. Lavar Arrington. For those that didn’t know, Arrington did NOT go back to visit the Miami Dolphins. Nor has their been any follow up calls or future visited scheduled. Also, as far as San Diego goes there has been one phone call made and nothing more.

Last I have been told is that the stand-off between the Giants and Arrington is over. From my various sourced I’ve been told that Arrington has been signed as early as two days ago. Some also informed me he was signed today, while others told me it will be in the near future. One thing seems to be constant in all of their reports, and that is we’ll know by Monday. At the same time, my own personal opinion is that we will not.

- Over the last few days the doors to ANYTHING New York Giants have been SEALED. Getting any information at all has been like pulling teeth. The Giants organization has been extremely upset over leaks, which began last year when various things were leaked on message boards and forums including Big Blue Interactive.

I’ve been told they are doing anything to shut off these leaks and may actually be holding out the news on an Arrington signing and/or other news simply until the various forum reports die down.

In closing ladies and gentlemen.. As I ALWAYS say, take all of the above “rumors” for what their worth. (or with a grain of salt, whichever you prefer.)

As a fan myself, I feel the need to report what I know. Listed above is everything I’ve been told throughout the day. Whether or not it’s true remains to be seen. My sources have been pretty good this season, as they were last season. Anywhere from the Mike Anderson signing to the Antonio Bryant signing.

Only more time will tell what’s true and what’s false. So.. Back to waiting.

They can cut Petitgout and clear $4.5M in contract but take a $5M hit, but it also takes $5M off for 2007 and another $5M of for 2008. Otherwise, I can't see them getting any draft picks for an overpaid and aging tackle with back problems. Anything higher than a 6th/7th round is a pipe dream.

i have heard that we have been trying to restructure contracts. toomer is more than willing from what i've heard, he wants to retire a giant, so he's willing to do it.

i wonder why they haven't asked will peterson, especially with his injury situation. i dont see how tiki or strahan would restructure again, but its always possible.

i have heard that we have been trying to restructure contracts. toomer is more than willing from what i've heard, he wants to retire a giant, so he's willing to do it.

i wonder why they haven't asked will peterson, especially with his injury situation. i dont see how tiki or strahan would restructure again, but its always possible.

Looking more and more like a june 1st cut for me.

I have a feeling next off-season will be very interesting, with the expected restrucutres, possible releases, etc. coming up. I remember reading a post giving some of this info in detail saying how we could be as far as 30 under if these things do happen.

That doesn't change that I would be alright with it.

I think Luke is worth more than a 6th or 7th round pick.

According to that rumor the Texans were offering a 4th rd. pick...

Better not be so.

Better not be so.

i think at some point you have to ask yourself if it's worth it...or at least I hope the Giants organization does...I mean, you'd be losing a starter for a 4th round pick that probably wouldn't pan out.

i think at some point you have to ask yourself if it's worth it...or at least I hope the Giants organization does...I mean, you'd be losing a starter for a 4th round pick that probably wouldn't pan out.

What the hell is the point for that? Gain a practice squad player for a proven starter that helps protect your future that can be ruined with one bad block? Insane.

What the hell is the point for that? Gain a practice squad player for a proven starter that helps protect your future that can be ruined with one bad block? Insane.

yah, especially when you got a guy that is slated to be a starter...as proven by free agency so far, the Giants org. believes the team is built to win this year...there's no way Luke Petitgout would be dealt for anything less than a 2nd rounder, it really is insane.

Looking more and more like a june 1st cut for me.

I have a feeling next off-season will be very interesting, with the expected restrucutres, possible releases, etc. coming up. I remember reading a post giving some of this info in detail saying how we could be as far as 30 under if these things do happen.

30 under the cap? how the hell would that happen? i know we just resigned a lot of players to backloaded contracts i'm sure, but 30 million? we'd have to release luke, peterson, toomer, plus any other dead weight. it's real hard to get 30 million under the cap, especially with contracts increasing as they are

Are you kidding?

Its not like we really have a tackle to that we can really just put in there unless we shuffle around the entire line...

i dont understand why the gaints org would want to deal a starting tackle for a 7th round pick that might not make the roster that would be insane

Its not like we really have a tackle to that we can really just put in there unless we shuffle around the entire line...

i dont understand why the gaints org would want to deal a starting tackle for a 7th round pick that might not make the roster that would be insane

And I don't understand why any team in the NFL would want to deal for a starting tackle that is extremely overpaid and has back problems. He has no trade value.

30 under the cap? how the hell would that happen? i know we just resigned a lot of players to backloaded contracts i'm sure, but 30 million? we'd have to release luke, peterson, toomer, plus any other dead weight. it's real hard to get 30 million under the cap, especially with contracts increasing as they are

Even though it's from the GMB, the stuff there sounds pretty logical. I'm looking for it right now but I can't find it. I think it's from BBI.

Are you kidding?

uhh no. what do you not understand about it? the giants would never do that, it's not worth it at all. No other team would give up more, of course, but the Giants would never trade him for a 4th round pick. It's stupid. Try reading all the posts, and you'd understand.

uhh no. what do you not understand about it? the giants would never do that, it's not worth it at all. No other team would give up more, of course, but the Giants would never trade him for a 4th round pick. It's stupid. Try reading all the posts, and you'd understand.

No need to get so defensive. I just misread it. I don't see the Giants getting anything more than a 6th or 7th round pick for Petitgout, and at the same time, I dont see the Giants trading anything less than a 3rd round pick for Petitgout. At least, that is what I think.

No need to get so defensive. I just misread it. I don't see the Giants getting anything more than a 6th or 7th round pick for Petitgout, and at the same time, I dont see the Giants trading anything less than a 3rd round pick for Petitgout. At least, that is what I think.

well Houston offered a 4th...but anyway, you're right, he has no trade value to speak of, but it's not to say the Giants would ever trade away a starter for something that small...there's no benefits for either side, really. Giants would lose a starter with no replacement and the team that traded for him would pick up an overpaid, but suitable tackle that is injured 5 games a year.

I don't think the Texans offered a 4th round pick; not only is it from a blog, but he says "may be interested," and doesn't provide anything other than "a source that will remain nameless," (he made it up).

Guest Lockhart

The Giants will NOT trade Pettigout until they have a GOOD replacement LT on hand. To do so would put the giants right back into the 2004 situation and result in a terrible season. Pettigout may not be great, but the alternative is disaster until a REAL replacement is found. Bob Whitfield is a great backup at tackel, but he would never last as a starter. Until th eGiants get a reliable LT to replace Pettigout, he isn't going anywhere.

I don't think the Texans offered a 4th round pick; not only is it from a blog, but he says "may be interested," and doesn't provide anything other than "a source that will remain nameless," (he made it up).

True, blogs arent generally very realiable unless they come directly from the horses mouth.

The Giants will NOT trade Pettigout until they have a GOOD replacement LT on hand. To do so would put the giants right back into the 2004 situation and result in a terrible season. Pettigout may not be great, but the alternative is disaster until a REAL replacement is found. Bob Whitfield is a great backup at tackel, but he would never last as a starter. Until th eGiants get a reliable LT to replace Pettigout, he isn't going anywhere.

Did someone hack into your name lockhart?

Bravo, you may have potential after all :clap: