SportsWrath

Tony Romo doesn't make the qualifying U.S. Open round

Linkage

RVING – There was an excitement in Tony Romo's voice and even more in his eyes that suggested he was playing in front of 90,000 fans at FedEx Field against the Redskins in late December.

Instead, he was at Hackberry Creek Country Club in Irving with only a handful of spectators, attempting to make it to the sectional round of qualifying for the U.S. Open.

Fresh off a birdie that moved him to 1-over and his tee shot on his 15th hole – the 382-yard par 4 sixth – flush in the fairway, Romo's pace became frenetic.

Cowboys/NFL

Taylor: Drafting Spencer was a necessary move

Romo's U.S. Open qualifying bid comes up short

Romo aiming for the U.S. Open

Taylor chat transcript

Cowboys Blog

More Cowboys

"This is where I have to do something," Romo said.

His approach shot landed within 12 feet, and he slammed home a birdie putt to move to even.

"Bam," he screamed, pumping his fist as he walked his Titleist Pro V1x into the cup, moving to even.

Ultimately Romo's qualifying attempt fell short by four strokes.

"I really feel like part of what allows me to be successful in anything is just my competitive nature," Romo, who finished with a 1-over 72, said. "The feeling I get when I try and strive for something, try and get better, try and win. Some guys go backward when they get toward the lead. Some guys get better. I feel like the more competition you put yourself in, the better you could possibly perform under pressure situations."

Since joining the Cowboys in 2003, Romo has attempted to qualify for the U.S. Open and the EDS Byron Nelson Championship. He also has played in tournaments in Wisconsin, his home state.

But this off-season marks the first time he's been the Cowboys' starting quarterback. Gone is the faded, black golf bag from his Burlington High School days that his friend Nick Sekeres carried. In is a PGA Tour-like Mizuno bag, complete with his name.

Romo's golfing has not been as frequent this off-season because he's had to learn a new offense with a new offensive coordinator, Jason Garrett. Romo said he plays once a week, but that will be a rarity during the season.

"You look at his golf swing and it's very simple," said Troy Lewis, the club pro at Sky Creek Ranch in Keller and one of Romo's playing partners on Tuesday. "He doesn't get too long. For a guy who doesn't get to play much, he's got a pretty good short game. Shoot, he shot a 72. That's pretty solid."

And it could have been better. Romo missed four birdie putts from inside 20 feet and two eagle putts by a total of 30 inches.

Since joining the Cowboys in 2003, quarterback Tony Romo has attempted to qualify for the U.S. Open and the EDS Byron Nelson Championship.

TOM FOX / DMN

Since joining the Cowboys in 2003, quarterback Tony Romo has attempted to qualify for the U.S. Open and the EDS Byron Nelson Championship.

In July, he will play in the Celebrity Golf Association's American Century Championship in Lake Tahoe, Nev., in a field that is scheduled to include John Elway, Michael Jordan, Mario Lemieux and Emmitt Smith.

As the Cowboys' starter Romo finds himself walking in different circles.

"I really don't ever look at it in the third-person perspective," Romo said. "I'm not looking at it, 'Wow, look what I'm doing.' I just go out and play a game, and I'm very fortunate to be able to do that. I work as hard as I possibly can at it and at the end of the day either you're good enough or you're not."

He was talking about being a quarterback, not a golfer.

"I enjoy the competitive side of [golf]," Romo said. "I'm sure I'll always play something like it. Whether I'm ever successful or not, I don't know. I never put forth the effort to get really, really mad if I didn't do well at this whereas with football it would hurt."

OH NO, TONY DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE COWBOYS OR FOOTBALL!

Romo's golfing has not been as frequent this off-season because he's had to learn a new offense with a new offensive coordinator, Jason Garrett. Romo said he plays once a week, but that will be a rarity during the season.

I didn't realize Garrett was a new hire for the boys.