SportsWrath

Anyone mind what Wagner's doing right now?

gateb

I don't have a problem with it either. He's a deuche, but I can see what he's doing. Hopefully he pulled Perez aside and let him know what he is up to. I saw a quote from Ollie that said he didn't have a problem with it.

I don't have a problem with it either. He's a deuche, but I can see what he's doing. Hopefully he pulled Perez aside and let him know what he is up to. I saw a quote from Ollie that said he didn't have a problem with it.

I have a problem with Wagner with saying talking to Ollie was like "talking to a brick wall."

I have a problem with Wagner with saying talking to Ollie was like "talking to a brick wall."

What's wrong with that? I'm sure we've all heard that line from our parents. Wagner is a nurturer. :TU:

What's wrong with that? I'm sure we've all heard that line from our parents. Wagner is a nurturer. :TU:

Our parents and someone in the clubhouse are two totally different things.

You can chose your friends, but you can't chose your family.

Our parents and someone in the clubhouse are two totally different things.

You can chose your friends, but you can't chose your family.

Or your teammates. I thought I read on Mets blog that Ollie agreed that he couldn't pay attention during a conversation. I'll look for it. I think Wagner was probably joking around with that statement though. I didn't hear his tone of voice, I only read it.

Billy Wagner, on Perez, while talking to reporters after yesterday’s loss, said:

“Perez, honestly, has got to step up and know we just used every guy in our bullpen the night before. He can’t come out there and decide that he hasn’t got it today.”

In the New York Post, Bart Hubbach writes more about Wagner and Perez, adding: “Asked if talking to Perez about his notoriously short attention span was like trying to talk to a wall, Wagner pointed his finger and said: ‘Pretty much.’”

Perez later told reporters that he agrees with Wagner’s statements, adding:

“I have no problem with that. I’ve got to do my job.”

In a report for SNY, Ted Berg writes, “Perez is immeasurably frustrating.”

According to Berg, Perez’s ERA is never an accurate way to measure the pitcher’s success or struggles, noting, thanks to errors, “Perez allowed 20 more batters to cross the plate than are accounted for in the 3.56 ERA he posted in 2007, and, with the five unearned runs he allowed on Wednesday, he’s well on his way to matching that number in 2008.”

Maybe he wasn't told about the wall comment. I can't tell.

Woah Woah woah woah, hold on a minute here. People think its ok that Billy Wagner did this? He has had BIG saves in his career? Wow where to begin?

Lets start with the big saves. Think back to the 2006 post season and game 2 vs the Cards. He may have some big saves, but I can think of more big blown ones. His post season history is as shoddy as anyones. His shortcomings that October were as much of the reason as Heilman was on the mound in game 7 in a tie game at home, which the book says your closer pitches.

Now, for what he said. Ok Billy, you want to criticize a teammate, call him out? Fine. How about last year, Aug 30th in Philly, team is about to get SWEPT and your manager NEEDED this 12 million dollar closer to get him 5 outs and bail out his ailing team. We will not even talk about the result(which ended with him getting 2 of the 5 outs needed)but lets recall the aftermath. He criticized his manager for handling him poorly, his teammates for requiring his services for 5 outs and placed the blame on EVERYONE, but himself. Big time closer huh? Guess what a BIG TIME closer can AT THE VERY FUCKING LEAST pitch 1 game in the course of the year where he gets more than 3 outs. He can keep all the 3 run saves where he comes in in the 9th inning to face the 7th 8th and 9th hitters, sometimes you need that one like Billy spit the bit on.Imagine if a teammate called him out on that and said how he was needed and he could not come through.

This man ceases to amaze me as to how pathetic a teammate he is. He is soo frigging dumb he assumes that we fans or the media forget these shortcomings and the antics that occured afterwards.

Just save games and shut the fuck up Billy, we all know your phony act.

Woah Woah woah woah, hold on a minute here. People think its ok that Billy Wagner did this? He has had BIG saves in his career? Wow where to begin?

Lets start with the big saves. Think back to the 2006 post season and game 2 vs the Cards. He may have some big saves, but I can think of more big blown ones. His post season history is as shoddy as anyones. His shortcomings that October were as much of the reason as Heilman was on the mound in game 7 in a tie game at home, which the book says your closer pitches.

Now, for what he said. Ok Billy, you want to criticize a teammate, call him out? Fine. How about last year, Aug 30th in Philly, team is about to get SWEPT and your manager NEEDED this 12 million dollar closer to get him 5 outs and bail out his ailing team. We will not even talk about the result(which ended with him getting 2 of the 5 outs needed)but lets recall the aftermath. He criticized his manager for handling him poorly, his teammates for requiring his services for 5 outs and placed the blame on EVERYONE, but himself. Big time closer huh? Guess what a BIG TIME closer can AT THE VERY FUCKING LEAST pitch 1 game in the course of the year where he gets more than 3 outs. He can keep all the 3 run saves where he comes in in the 9th inning to face the 7th 8th and 9th hitters, sometimes you need that one like Billy spit the bit on.Imagine if a teammate called him out on that and said how he was needed and he could not come through.

This man ceases to amaze me as to how pathetic a teammate he is. He is soo frigging dumb he assumes that we fans or the media forget these shortcomings and the antics that occured afterwards.

Just save games and shut the fuck up Billy, we all know your phony act.

Normally I'd agree with you but something like this had to come from someone. Really the only other player that is qualified to call someone out is David Wright or maybe Johan Santana. And I don't want Wright doing something like that, let Wagner do the dirty work.

Perez has been mediocre at best this year as our #2-3 starter. Someone needed to light a fire under his ass. I didn't like the talking to the wall comment, and there was only one other problem I had. Wagner said that we used every member of our bullpen the night before so Ollie needed to step up, but failed to mention he was the reason we had to use our entire pen that night for blowing the save.

I really don't care about that though. I just want someone to give this team a wake up call.

Normally I'd agree with you but something like this had to come from someone. Really the only other player that is qualified to call someone out is David Wright or maybe Johan Santana. And I don't want Wright doing something like that, let Wagner do the dirty work.

Perez has been mediocre at best this year as our #2-3 starter. Someone needed to light a fire under his ass. I didn't like the talking to the wall comment, and there was only one other problem I had. Wagner said that we used every member of our bullpen the night before so Ollie needed to step up, but failed to mention he was the reason we had to use our entire pen that night for blowing the save.

I really don't care about that though. I just want someone to give this team a wake up call.

I hope Billy remembers how crucial it is to preserve a bullpen when he is called upon again to get a multiple inning save. Oh thats right anything other than a 3 our save is out of the question.

He of all people to talk about stepping up to help a bullpen. What a piece of shit he is. How about supporting Oliver and saying something like "well he let the pen down today, but there have been times we have let him down before and there will be times it happens again, we are all in this together and as teammates we are here to support Ollie and help him through this tough stretch". --- thats what a real fucking leader would say.

I hope Billy remembers how crucial it is to preserve a bullpen when he is called upon again to get a multiple inning save. Oh thats right anything other than a 3 our save is out of the question.

He of all people to talk about stepping up to help a bullpen. What a piece of shit he is. How about supporting Oliver and saying something like "well he let the pen down today, but there have been times we have let him down before and there will be times it happens again, we are all in this together and as teammates we are here to support Ollie and help him through this tough stretch". --- thats what a real fucking leader would say.

Ollie needs a shot in the rear. He's been very average this year.

I'm interested in seeing if his play responds positively to that.

This isnt gonna be the last time billy calls out a teammate this year.

Ollie needs a shot in the rear. He's been very average this year.

I'm interested in seeing if his play responds positively to that.

This isnt gonna be the last time billy calls out a teammate this year.

Billy should just STFU. What would he say if someone called him out?

xxi, any other time I would definately agree with you. I'm pretty much thinking along the same lines as gateb on this one. I think we can all agree that Wagner is an asshole who struggles in the biggest spots, but somebody had to be the bad guy. This team just seems to be on a year long sleep walk. They have a great, fundamentally sound, well played game all around, followed by a game that looks like a bunch of little leaguers are playing. The same old "It happens, it'll happen again, we just have to support each other and pick each other up" lines are getting fucking old. That's why I don't have a problem with him being the dick on the team. Like gateb said, better him than D. Wright.

xxi, any other time I would definately agree with you. I'm pretty much thinking along the same lines as gateb on this one. I think we can all agree that Wagner is an asshole who struggles in the biggest spots, but somebody had to be the bad guy. This team just seems to be on a year long sleep walk. They have a great, fundamentally sound, well played game all around, followed by a game that looks like a bunch of little leaguers are playing. The same old "It happens, it'll happen again, we just have to support each other and pick each other up" lines are getting fucking old. That's why I don't have a problem with him being the dick on the team. Like gateb said, better him than D. Wright.

Why does a team need a player of any stature calling out another in the press? From what I know is that team means sticking together, whether you are friends or not, picking your teamate up, helping him, supporting him. Everyone knows Oliver has been shit, does Billy have to point this out?

Maybe next time Billy blows one of Ollies games with one of his patent doozies Ollie can call him out? In fact I think Ollie pitched Aug 30th 2007, did he call Wagner out that day, which BTW was a far more important game than a game vs the Pirates in April.

Every game counts. I think we should have learned that last year. One game and we would have been in.

Wagner had an amazing game today, and I think this is his year. Let him say what he wants. If it helps his gameplay, why not?

Every game counts. I think we should have learned that last year. One game and we would have been in.

Wagner had an amazing game today, and I think this is his year. Let him say what he wants. If it helps his gameplay, why not?

If this is Wagners year and he wants to be a leader(assuming thats the motivation for ripping a teammate)will if need be he allow his manager to pitch him for more than a 3 out save from time to time because as you pointed out every game is important?

Why does a team need a player of any stature calling out another in the press? From what I know is that team means sticking together, whether you are friends or not, picking your teamate up, helping him, supporting him. Everyone knows Oliver has been shit, does Billy have to point this out?

Maybe next time Billy blows one of Ollies games with one of his patent doozies Ollie can call him out? In fact I think Ollie pitched Aug 30th 2007, did he call Wagner out that day, which BTW was a far more important game than a game vs the Pirates in April.

El duque pitched that day and went 3 innings.

We lost that game 11-10. Everyone except Feliciano sucked in that game.

And Wagner actually did pitch 2 innings in a game this year.