SportsWrath

Mets (5-5) vs Brewers (7-4) 1:10 PM

RandolphScott

Game Preview

Defense, as much as anything, hurt the Mets on Saturday, when two errors and a fair share of other blunders led to their first loss in four games. So defense, they know, is what can help them win this series against the Brewers on Sunday.

"It's not just fielding the ball," manager Willie Randolph said. "It's communication, also."

Third baseman David Wright was at the center of Saturday's struggles, making both errors and playing a prominent role in another run-scoring play, when the Brewers scored on a safety squeeze. Before the game at Shea Stadium, Wright was presented with his first Gold Glove award, an honor that Braves third baseman Chipper Jones vocally criticized last winter. During the game, he opened the door for even more criticism.

"I didn't vote for myself for the Gold Glove last year," Wright said. "It's an honor to win it, and now there are some expectations up there. But this is New York. There are a lot of expectations for everything. There's pressure every time you go out there and take the field."

That goes not only for Wright, but for everyone. Starter Oliver Perez will feel increased pressure on Sunday, knowing not only that he has a scoreless innings streak intact -- 11 2/3 and counting -- but also that the Mets need him to secure a series win.

To do that, he'll likely need to pitch deep into the game -- something he didn't do last time out. Minimizing his pitches should be a key, and the Mets certainly know it.

"That's always the goal," catcher Brian Schneider said. "You don't want him throwing 100 pitches in five innings or six innings."

The Brewers will counter with right-hander Jeff Suppan, another pitcher off to a hot start, but one that should pose a decidedly easier challenge than Saturday's starter, Ben Sheets. Suppan has won three straight decisions dating back to last year.

Pitching matchup

NYM: LHP Oliver Perez (1-0, 0.00 ERA)

Perez earned a no-decision in his second outing of the season, despite holding the Phillies scoreless for 5 2/3 innings. A high pitch count forced him out of the game with only a slim lead, and the Phillies ultimately came back to win against a shaky Mets bullpen. Perez will aim for a better fate against the Brewers, a team he beat twice in two tries with a 3.14 ERA last season. He's pitched 11 2/3 scoreless innings to date this year.

MIL: RHP Jeff Suppan (1-0, 2.03 ERA)

Suppan was also hurt by a lack of offense in his latest outing, earning a no-decision despite allowing one run over seven innings in an eventual Brewers win. He posted a 4.38 ERA against the Mets last season, and holds a 2.70 career ERA at Shea.

Tidbits

Duaner Sanchez was scheduled to appear for Triple-A New Orleans for the second straight night on Saturday. Randolph said he expected Sanchez to rejoin his bullpen perhaps by the middle of next week. ... Wright will make an appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman on Monday. ... Carlos Beltran, Wright and Johan Santana were all presented with their 2007 Gold Glove awards prior to Saturday's game. Beltran and Wright also received their Silver Slugger awards.

Linkage

Good to see Luis Castillo attempt to bunt for a base-hit, thereby ensuring that there is absolutely zero chance of him hitting it out of the infield. :rolleyes:

OM you imgrate!

Wright has gone yard! 2-1. We're going to do it. We need revenge on Suppan.

I don't fucking believe it, Castillo hit a double over the Brewer's 3rd baseman INTO THE SHALLOW OUTFIELD!!!!!!! Serz, is the world coming to an end?

If the Mets keep this up, Perez will lose the pressure that's failing him, and pitch good.

Wright with 100 Homers. Nice.

LOL, Jay, I was shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, to see that Castillo had shallow outfield power! His first extra base hit of the season, and a broken bat hit at that! LOL. Ollie needs to have this lead hold up. I say walk Kapler every time and he should be okay. That guy murders lefties, as Johan and Ollie have already found.

Well, Ollie is shooting himself in the foot. He's getting behind hitters. This inning, he started off getting behind Hart, giving up a single, then walking Hardy, and giving up another single to Kendall after a sac bunt by Suppan. In the first, he hit a batter before giving up the homer to Kapler. Speaking of Kapler, just hit a double. Man this guy kills lefties.

Anyhow, this is the bad Ollie we have to put up with from time to time. A little wild, getting behind hitters, and getting himself into trouble. Despite that, he still is showing the good stuff, he's already struck out 5. Tie game, single by Braun. Wow. This is really disappointing that Perez couldn't hold this lead. Very frustrating.

Just wanted to make this public. I put Angel Pagan on my fantasy team, and this double by him proves that I was right.

WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?!?!? Castillo with a single! The world really is coming to an end.

C'mon Wright. We need a 3 run Homer.

C'mon Mets, lets win this series. Perez is doing this best out of all the pitchers. Need him to shine today if we have any hope for playoffs.

The Mets have only 4 HRs. Need to increase power, and keep up with the Brewers today.

:confused:

Can anyone get Corey Hart out? This Brewers team can hit. I wish the Mets had half the power that they have. With Fielder, Braun, Weeks, Hall, JJ Hardy, and Gabe Kapler, they have power hitters in spades. And when Cameron comes back for them, there's another guy that can hit 30. Especially in Miller Park.

It seems Wright always grounds out on the first pitch in these spots.

He's gotta learn to be more patient. There's no reason that we keep leaving runners on when we have one of the best hitters on the team at the plate.

This is ridiculous. I think Wright is over-anxious with runners on, and it takes him out of his usual batting approach. He's getting himself out before the first pitch is even thrown. Conversely, we are not able to get Hart or Kapler out today. That last pitch by Smith to Kapler was not a good pitch. Kapler just did the only thing he could with it and took it opposite field. Just good hitting. Boy would I love to have that guy on our team, the way he's going right now.

When this team falls out of it will there be any big money veterans that other teams would actually want?

I think we could deal Delgado in the last year of his deal, maybe ALOU as well if he ever comes back. Possibly even Perez as he too will be a FA.

Yeah I know its early to talk about this, but trust me it will come true.