SportsWrath

Mets (3-4) vs. Phillies (4-5) Rubber Match

RandolphScott

I think this might be the only time of the year where Adam Eaton's ERA is under 3.

Game Preview

NEW YORK -- The Mets have finally beaten the Phillies. Now they're about ready to do it again.

Before the good vibes from Wednesday night's win have had time to settle, the Mets will take yet another crack at the Phillies, gunning this time for a series win. Previously, they had lost nine straight games to their division rivals, missing the 2007 playoffs in the process. Now, that streak has ended, and the Mets are eager to push it only further into the past.

"Was there any panic? I would say no," third baseman David Wright said. "But there's urgency on a daily basis, especially when you're playing the better teams in the National League East. I think that the urgency was when we were playing subpar New York Met baseball. We needed to straighten some things out."

John Maine will start for the Mets in Thursday night's finale, attempting to recover from a forgettable season debut. Maine was the team's most successful starter during Spring Training, and its most successful starter for the first half of last season. Thursday will give him another opportunity to find that form again, and rack up his first win opposite Phillies right-hander Adam Eaton.

Mets manager Willie Randolph noted that the games his team lost to the Phillies during that stretch could have gone either way -- "very strange games," he said. That, more than anything, is why he remains so confident his Mets can start a streak of their own.

Pitching matchup

NYM: RHP John Maine (0-1, 9.00 ERA)

Maine's sparkling spring evaporated during his regular-season debut, a game in which he allowed four runs on eight hits over four innings. The team's stopper for most of last season's first half, Maine faced the Phillies three times in total, posting a 1-0 record and 2.29 ERA. He's never lost against them in four career starts.

PHI: RHP Adam Eaton (0-0, 3.52 ERA)

Walking four but allowing only three runs over 7 2/3 innings of his season debut last week, Eaton ultimately took a no-decision in a 4-3 Phillies loss. The Phillies won all three games he started at Shea Stadium last season, and all four he pitched against the Mets in total. His 3.86 ERA against them was his best against any NL East team.

Tidbits

Reliever Duaner Sanchez pitched two shutout innings on Tuesday for the St. Lucie Mets, and will pitch in back-to-back games for Triple-A New Orleans on Friday and Saturday. "He's very close," general manager Omar Minaya said. ... Jose Reyes reached base twice on Wednesday, but he did not steal a base for the 21st consecutive game, dating back to last year. "It's not where I want to be, but I feel better," Reyes said. ... The Empire State Building's tower lights glowed blue and orange on Wednesday night in a tribute to the final opener at Shea Stadium.

Tonights lineup for the Mets

* SS Jose Reyes

* LF Angel Pagan

* 3B David Wright

* CF Carlos Beltran

* 1B Carlos Delgado

* RF Ryan Church

* 2B Damion Easley

* C Brian Schneider

* P John Maine

Rollins is not playing again for the Phillies.

I think this might be the only time of the year where Adam Eaton's ERA is under 3.

Game Preview

NYM: RHP John Maine (0-1, 9.00 ERA)

Maine's sparkling spring evaporated during his regular-season debut, a game in which he allowed four runs on eight hits over four innings. The team's stopper for most of last season's first half, Maine faced the Phillies three times in total, posting a 1-0 record and 2.29 ERA. He's never lost against them in four career starts.

Uh-oh.