SportsWrath

Eli, Plax nominated for Halas award

Taylorized56

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/20...alas-award.html

April 5, 2008

Eli & Plaxico up for Halas Awards

Eli Manning and Plaxico Burress, who teamed up for the winning touchdown in Super Bowl XLII, are now going head to head for a postseason award.

Both Giants are finalists for the Halas Award, which is presented annually by the Professional Football Writers of America. It goes to the “individual in the NFL who overcame the most adversity to succeed last season.”

Manning was nominated, according to official PFWA ballot, for “playing under intense scrutiny in the largest media market” and playing “the best games of his career when they mattered most.” Burress was nominated because “he endured a season of serious ankle injuries that limited his ability to practice” and was still the Giants’ No. 1 receiver.

The competition, however, is stiff. Also nominated were Kevin Everett, the former Bills tight end who recovered from a life-threatening spine injury and was able to walk into Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo to watch the Bills-Giants game on Dec. 23; Greg Ellis, the Cowboys linebacker who was the NFL Comeback Player of the Year, for recording 12 ½ sacks less than a year after tearing his Achilles tendon; and the entire Washington Redskins team for rallying to make the playoffs after the tragic death of Sean Taylor.

Voting by the PFWA on all the awards will continue through April 26 and will be announced during the NFL Draft.

It will probably be Kevin Everett or the Redskins but it's nice to see Eli and Plax get their props.

This reminds me of the Vikes game thread.

We should bump that one for a good laugh.

I'd have to vote for Eli.

Everett won't play football again, and we wouldn't know who he was anyway without the injury.

The skins really didn't accomplish anything. If making the playoffs was such an accomplishment, Eli wouldn't

have been under such scrutiny to begin with.

Plax overcame a lot, but there were plenty of games where he was a nonfactor.

Eli was labelled a BUST by many on this board, so I can only assume he was labelled as such by many

NY journalists.

Everett is a good story but come on this is an award about performance on the field and overcoming adversity.

The Redskins would have been a playoff team with or without Taylor, that is a bullshit nomination.

Ellis is a Cowboy and can burn in hell.

I can't choose between Eli and Plax. Plax did disappear but Eli had shitty games.

Everett is a good story but come on this is an award about performance on the field and overcoming adversity.

The Redskins would have been a playoff team with or without Taylor, that is a bullshit nomination.

Ellis is a Cowboy and can burn in hell.

I can't choose between Eli and Plax. Plax did disappear but Eli had shitty games.

I would agree that it's hard to choose between the two, and for me what sets them apart for this award is the post season.

Plax had a great game against the pack, and the winning td against the pats, but other than that he wasn't a postseason factor at all.

Eli overcame so much criticism, and all of his bad games just added to that, that it was a miracle that he played with such confidence in the post season.

Lesser men wilt under such scrutiny.

Eli has shown that he can handle the heat. It hasn't always been pretty and he's not an elite qb but I will say this, if there's 2 minutes left in the game and I need a td to win I'll take Eli all day over the majority of qb's in the league. Eli thrives under pressure, the Denver game in '05, Philly last year, da Bears this season and of course the superbowl. Wish we'd use the no-huddle more during games. No matter how bad he's played during a game he doesn't let it affect him. He's got a tremendous amount of heart. I was so happy for him when we won the bowl. Vindication baby!!!!