SportsWrath

Former Giants all-pro Ray Poole dies of cancer at 86

BIGBLUE01

JACKSON, Miss. (AP)—Ray Smith Poole, a former New York Giants All-Pro end and three-sport star at the University of Mississippi, died Wednesday. He was 86.

Ole Miss officials said he died of cancer.

Poole played baseball and basketball at Ole Miss, where his football career was interrupted by three years of service with the Marines in World War II. After his pro career he returned to Oxford as a football coach, working for longtime Ole Miss coach Johnny Vaught.

Poole’s brothers, Buster and Barney, were also star athletes at Ole Miss. The three brothers and their descendants have accounted for 50 athletic letters and a campus roadway is named for them.

Will Poole, a reserve on the men’s basketball team, is the latest family member to play for Ole Miss.

“Coach Poole was one of my coaches when I played a few years ago,” Ole Miss athletic director Pete Boone said. “In fact, he has been an integral part of Ole Miss athletics for over five decades. His presence will be greatly missed.”

Ray Poole grew up in Gloster in southwestern Mississippi and earned 11 letters in his career at Ole Miss. He was a guard and center for the basketball team, leading the Rebels in scoring in 1943 and he was 5-2 as a pitcher in 1946.

It was on the football field where he made his most significant impact.

He returned to Ole Miss after three years in the service and was captain of the football team in 1946. He was all-Southeastern Conference and turned pro after being taken by the New York Giants in the 13th round of the 1944 NFL draft. He played for the Giants from 1947-52 and the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League in 1953-54.

He was an All-Pro in both leagues. He caught 83 passes for 1,164 yards in 71 NFL games and finished with 223 career points, including nine touchdowns, 27 field goals and 86 extra points.

Poole also was drafted by the Chicago Cubs but never made it to the major leagues.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Wanda England; son Ray Jr.; daughter Patti; a sister; and three grandchildren.

This is for some of the oldie but goodies on the board. Ive definatly heard of Poole, but dont know too much about him. Its the offseason and its slow. So I thought Id pay some respect to a former Giant. Because really, we're all a BIGBLUE family. Players, ex players and fans. ;)

R.I.P Ray.

I just saw read this on another site, very sad. My cousin lost a long battle with cancer last spring.

R.I.P Ray Poole

Sorry to hear about your loss Taylor. My mother passed away 12 years ago from Cancer. You learn to deal with it, but you never get over it.

Sorry to hear about your loss Taylor. My mother passed away 12 years ago from Cancer. You learn to deal with it, but you never get over it.

Yeah, I'm usually good until I hear one of the songs played at her funeral, than it's Niagra Falls. Sorry about your mom bro. My mother is getting up there in age and still smokes, I can't say anything considering I do too.

My cousin was a big Giants fan, I've had her Giant hats in my room since she passed. I knew she was watching over Big Blue.

Yeah, I'm usually good until I hear one of the songs played at her funeral, than it's Niagra Falls. Sorry about your mom bro. My mother is getting up there in age and still smokes, I can't say anything considering I do too.

My cousin was a big Giants fan, I've had her Giant hats in my room since she passed. I knew she was watching over Big Blue.

Thanks Taylor. And your cousin, DEFINATLY was watching over Big Blue. She's up there w/ Mara and Tisch and they were lovin it. ;)

In my opinion smoking is the hardest addiction to give up....my mom quit at least three times that I know of. The last time she had not smoked for over two and a half years. She went back to smoking in 84 and died in October of 85. And this is a woman who had part of a lung removed before I was born in 64. She was a head nurse and you know she saw plenty of victims of tobacco in her days. Its just that strong an addiction. Best hopes for you in the future and hopefully you find a way to quit.