SportsWrath

Beltran

mws44

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Beltran yappin at the Phillies. I don't have too much of a problem with it, especially if he backs it up with his play. The Phillies are a bunch of punks talking about starting fights because one of our players did the same EXACT thing one of their players did last year. I also like the growing rivalry between the teams because it keeps it interesting.

I do wish that the team adopted a little more of the Giants, talk is cheap play the game mantra though. Send your message with your play on the field fellas.

As far as I'm concerned, What did he say that was wrong?

Were we a team that could win the NL East before the trade? Yes.

Are we a team that probably WILL win the NL East now that we have a bonafide Ace in Johan Santana? Yes.

And that's not homerism. Santana was the biggest acquisition of the offseason and he joins a staff with the always crafty Pedro Martinez and Orlando Hernandez, and the up and coming Oliver Perez, John Maine and Mike Pelfrey. As long as we stay healthy and our bullpen doesn't lay fuckin eggs again I don't see any reason why we can't win the NL East.

I wouldn't count on Orlando Hernandez to start the season. What I am reading that he has been looking really bad and has been having a lot of problems so far this spring. I think Pelfrey gets that 5th spot while Hernandez starts in the pen.

Are we a team that probably WILL win the NL East now that we have a bonafide Ace in Johan Santana? Yes.

And that's not homerism. Santana was the biggest acquisition of the offseason and he joins a staff with the always crafty Pedro Martinez and Orlando Hernandez, and the up and coming Oliver Perez, John Maine and Mike Pelfrey. As long as we stay healthy and our bullpen doesn't lay fuckin eggs again I don't see any reason why we can't win the NL East.

I don't think he said anything wrong either, but I hope he is prepared to back it up by putting the team on his shoulders if at any point they begin to struggle. They can talk all the shit they want as long as they walk the walk on the field.

I wouldn't count on Orlando Hernandez to start the season. What I am reading that he has been looking really bad and has been having a lot of problems so far this spring. I think Pelfrey gets that 5th spot while Hernandez starts in the pen.

I think that would be a huge mistake. The beauty of having Pelfrey as an able starter working on his secondary pitches in the minors is when Hernandez inevitably goes on the DL 3-5 times this year, Pelfrey steps up and holds down that spot while getting move valuable experience for next year. If we don't have Pelfrey as the fall back guy, what happens? I don't like bringing releivers into the starter spot, simply because they haven't worked up their stamina.

I don't think he said anything wrong either, but I hope he is prepared to back it up by putting the team on his shoulders if at any point they begin to struggle. They can talk all the shit they want as long as they walk the walk on the field.

I think that would be a huge mistake. The beauty of having Pelfrey as an able starter working on his secondary pitches in the minors is when Hernandez inevitably goes on the DL 3-5 times this year, Pelfrey steps up and holds down that spot while getting move valuable experience for next year. If we don't have Pelfrey as the fall back guy, what happens? I don't like bringing releivers into the starter spot, simply because they haven't worked up their stamina.

We still have Sosa, who can fill in as a starter here or there. There are always pitchers available to make spot starts throughout the season. I'd much rather see Pelfrey win the 5th spot and stay up the whole season then worry about El Duque going down the day he is scheduled to pitch because he slammed down too hard on the domino table.

I think the only real concern with the 4 guys who already have spots is Martinez's durability. IF he can stay healthy all season, there is no doubt we have one of the top rotations in the NL.

I think Maine will really shine this year, and Perez is Perez, sometimes shaky, but sometimes dominant. I can live with that as my number 4 guy.

Sanchez is the real key to this pitching staff. Let's hope he stays healthy and returns to form.

We still have Sosa, who can fill in as a starter here or there. There are always pitchers available to make spot starts throughout the season. I'd much rather see Pelfrey win the 5th spot and stay up the whole season then worry about El Duque going down the day he is scheduled to pitch because he slammed down too hard on the domino table.

I think the only real concern with the 4 guys who already have spots is Martinez's durability. IF he can stay healthy all season, there is no doubt we have one of the top rotations in the NL.

I think Maine will really shine this year, and Perez is Perez, sometimes shaky, but sometimes dominant. I can live with that as my number 4 guy.

Sanchez is the real key to this pitching staff. Let's hope he stays healthy and returns to form.

I still think Duque should start. Every year there are multiple injuries to a pitching staff so depth in the staff is critical. With Duque starting, we have Pelfrey as a first option backup and Sosa as a second option. Duque will definately be on the DL so it will almost be like the 5th spot will split time throughout the year anyway. Pelfrey gets his time in and Sosa is still there as a safety net.

I agree that Sanchez is the key to the bullpen. If he can get back to his '06 stride he will take a lot of pressure off Heilman. I hope Joe Smith can find his April-May self from last year again.

Jesus H Christmas. I can't wait til April.