SportsWrath

santana talks back on?

Herc

interesting timing :mellow:

Upon word that the Minnesota Twins were considering dealing Johan Santana, the New York Yankees jumped at the opportunity to land the ace. Then the talks stalled.

Johan Santana

Starting Pitcher

Minnesota Twins

2007 Season Stats

GM W L BB K ERA

33 15 13 52 235 3.33

Now it appears the two teams are back at it.

The New York Daily News and The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J. reported that the Yankees and Twins have had "a couple of brief calls" recently and Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said Friday the door is "not closed" for the Yankees to pull off the deal.

"It's up to Minnesota what they want to do and I assume they're still thinking about trading him," Steinbrenner said, according to the Daily News. "As far as what I'm going to do, I don't know. There's been a couple of brief calls. The door's not closed.

"I'm still thinking about it."

Steinbrenner said general manager Brian Cashman talked to the Twins about Santana "once in the last couple of days", according to the Star Ledger.

Santana, a left-hander who turns 29 in March, has a 93-44 record with a 3.22 ERA in eight major league seasons and is owed $13.25 million next year. Steinbrenner disputed a report in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that said Santana's agent has told interested teams such as the Yankees, Boston Red Sox and others that Santana will require a seven-year contract extension worth $140 million. Santana likely would want an extension in exchange for waiving his no-trade clause.

"The Twins haven't told us that [about the $140 million], no," Steinbrenner said, according to the Daily News. "We haven't talked to his agent directly, either. We can't. And Minnesota's not going to call us and tell us."

The Red Sox have reportedly offered a package that includes one of their top prospects -- Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz and Jacoby Ellsbury -- but only one.

The Yankees had proposed swapping pitcher Phil Hughes, center fielder Melky Cabrera and a midlevel prospect for the two-time Cy Young Award winner. While up-and-coming pitcher Joba Chamberlain was deemed untouchable, Steinbrenner is coming to grips with the possiblilty of losing Hughes.

"That's something that I'll have to decide," Steinbrenner said, according to the Daily News. "For the near future, we're in a no-lose situation, to tell you the truth."

he's not ideal of course, but when it comes down to this choice:

option 1

LF--damon/matsui

CF--melky

rotation: wang, pettitte, joba, hughes, kennedy

or

option2

LF--matsui

CF--melky

rotation: santana, wang, pettite, joba, kennedy

i'd easily take option 2. billy beane once said it's not a good trade if both sides aren't feeling some pain. to get a guy like santana you gotta pay the price

Option one by a land slide, and Beanie can say anything he wants. Everyone's been his bitch for going on a couple of decades now.

And btw, it's going to be Hughes, Pettitte, Joba, Kennedy and Wang, depending on what Joba has as a starter. :)