SportsWrath

Phil Simms

Lughead

From Times Online

October 25, 2007

Phil Simms takes the plaudits

Continuing our exclusive series of extracts from the new Super Bowl Opus, we remember the inspirational performance of Phil Simms, MVP of Super Bowl XXI, which the New York Giants won 39-20 against the Denver Broncos. Below is how the Washington Post reported his feat

Phil Simms, MVP Super Bowl XXI

Super Bowl XXi: New York Giants 39, Denver Broncos 20

New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms stood before the media tonight a man vindicated. Doesn’t every person who plays professional football want to play his best game in the Super Bowl? How many ever have? Tonight, Simms did.

“Phil Simms, he was unbelievable,” coach Bill Parcells said. The man who gets no respect in New York completed 22 of the 25 passes he threw, for 268 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Giants to a 39–20 victory over the Denver Broncos at the Rose Bowl. He was 10 for 10 for 165 yards in the second half, when he led his team to 30 points. He nearly scored a touchdown himself on a 22-yard run to the Denver two-yard line late in the game, setting up his team’s last touchdown. He received a ceremonial Gatorade dousing from two offensive linemen at the end of the game. He knew before the game he was going to play well; he predicted it to his teammates, and he was right.

Background

“Everything we tried was there, it really was,” Simms said later in a combative, triumphant news conference. “I thought I was an all right player before the game, but this was a big one for me to play well in. I didn’t throw one ball today when I said, ‘Damn, I want it back.’”

During this Super Bowl week, Simms said he watched tape of New York’s 19–16 regular season victory over Denver time and again, and one thought stuck in his mind. “They showed us no respect throwing the ball,” he said. “The only thing that bothered me this week was no one talked about our passing game. People thought our receivers couldn’t be a part of this game, and we had something to prove.”

The Giants came out throwing and never stopped. “We felt like we could throw the ball deep on these guys,” Simms said. “It’s a good feeling when you say to yourself, ‘I can probably complete it, I just don’t know who to.’ ” Phil McConkey, the Giants receiver who has been known to lead cheers for Simms at Giants Stadium, was overjoyed for his quarterback. “It’s so long overdue,” McConkey said.

“Ooohhh, I feel great,” said Simms, his blond hair matted and wet with Gatorade. “When you think of the Denver Broncos, you think of John Elway,” Simms said. “When you think of the New York Giants, you don’t think of Phil Simms.” Perhaps that will change.

It did change Phil , it did .Thank you for the memories :clap: