Eli Manning V.s Trent Dilfer

Lughead

ELI

Trent

chronicle_logo.gif

Dilfer to start Sunday for 49ers

John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, October 18, 2007

After taking all the meaningful snaps in practice this week, Trent Dilfer will start at quarterback when the 49ers play the New York Giants Sunday in the Meadowlands.

"He's our guy," coach Mike Nolan said this afternoon of Dilfer. "I think he gives us the best chance right now to win because he's had the opportunity to get the work. My confidence in Alex right now is not where it needs to be."

Although Smith was cleared for practice this week, his participation was minimal. He took part in individual and group drills but it was Dilfer who was under center working with the first offense in team drills.

"You take away the guesswork late in the week," Dilfer said. "Coach Nolan did the best thing by making this decision. It's best for all parties. I've been down this road before. I prepare like I'm a starter. If he (Smith) comes back, I'll go back to the old role. The decision in my mind was made earlier in the week."

It will be Dilfer's second start, and third meaningful game in terms of playing time, since Smith separated his shoulder against Seattle on Sept. 30. Prior to these events, Dilfer had not started a regular-season game since November of 2005, when he was with Cleveland.

As for Smith, it was his demeanor more than his shoulder that convinced Nolan that the 49ers would be better off going with Dilfer on Sunday. Nolan said Smith, who has never had a shoulder injury before, did not present a confident image in practice this week.

"There's a confidence level you have to have before you can go out and play," Nolan said. "I think his shoulder is really good. There's always a level of confidence they (injured players) have to go through: 'Is it really healed?' He's healthy right now."

Interesting with Mannings stats. Everything after 30 passes he's got a 137.7 qb rating.

Last year, everything over 30 he had a 106.3 rating.

He's completely turned that around from his first two season's (20 and 66).

We need to have him come out and hit 30 short dumps, hitches, flares so we can be in 31+ territory in the first qtr. :D

Interesting with Mannings stats. Everything after 30 passes he's got a 137.7 qb rating.

Last year, everything over 30 he had a 106.3 rating.

He's completely turned that around from his first two season's (20 and 66).

We need to have him come out and hit 30 short dumps, hitches, flares so we can be in 31+ territory in the first qtr. :D

um no we don't need Eli to get into the chadesque QB mode :P