SportsWrath

Coughlin to Jacobs

Lughead

Tom Coughlin to Brandon Jacobs: Get a grip!

BY HANK GOLA

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, October 12th 2007, 4:00 AM

The Falcons do a pretty good job of stripping the football and Tom Coughlin is emphasizing that to Brandon Jacobs, whose straight-up running style can leave the ball exposed.

"He is up a lot because he is a powerful man and the power is moving," Coughlin said yesterday. "Whenever that occurs, you obviously give the opposition a chance to get more people in grabbing for the ball and stripping for the ball, which is something that will happen this week."

Jacobs was stripped by the Jets' Kerry Rhodes on Sunday in a one-on-one situation. Coughlin says he speaks to Jacobs about ball security "endlessly." Jacobs blamed rust. "I was out three weeks and I hadn't carried the ball in three weeks," Jacobs said yesterday.

CATCHING ON: Steve Smith returned to practice in pads for the first time since he fractured his shoulder blade against the Packers in Week 2 but the Giants' rookie wide receiver still looks another week away.

DE Osi Umenyiora rested a knee while Burress continued to nurse his ankle, as usual.

RETURN FAVOR: Coughlin's other concern is the kick coverage team, which allowed the Jets' Leon Washington to bring one back for a TD and was saved from it happening again by one ankle tackle. The Giants are 31st in the league and last in the NFC in opponents' average starting field position.

"A lot of it is getting off the individual blocks, particularly our case from the back side," he said.

Atlanta's Jerious Norwood has returned three kicks for 144 yards, including a 76-yard jaunt in Tennessee last week. ... In his only career start against the Giants, a 28-13 win with the Lions in 2004, Joey Harrington completed 18 of 22 passes for 230 yards with two TDs and no interceptions

IN MEMORIAM: Former Giants tackle Dewitt (Tex) Coulter died in Austin after a lengthy illness. He was 83. An All-American on Army's 1945 national championship team, Coulter played left tackle for the Giants from 1946-1952. He made the All-Pro team in 1948 and 1949. - Gola

You know what IF a player is out or hurt and can't practice thereis no reason why he can't always have a football in his hands. (unless his hand's are broke)

RIP Tex :(

RETURN FAVOR: Coughlin's other concern is the kick coverage team, which allowed the Jets' Leon Washington to bring one back for a TD and was saved from it happening again by one ankle tackle. The Giants are 31st in the league and last in the NFC in opponents' average starting field position.

that's not good.

Actually he fumbled twice. I would hope that he has been getting a lot of practice and coaching on keeping the ball off the ground and can get back on the field because he is a far better returner than Droughns....I am a better returner than Droughns

Actually he fumbled twice. I would hope that he has been getting a lot of practice and coaching on keeping the ball off the ground and can get back on the field because he is a far better returner than Droughns....I am a better returner than Droughns

My Grandma is a better returner than Droughns right now.

She passed away 3 years ago. <_<