SportsWrath

tony gwynn

Herc

yeah, im not going to get mad at a guy who saves games at a better percentage than anyone who ever lived, he can give one up once in a while.

What is your opinion of Hoffman in the big game? For instance do you view him in a big spot, bright lights spot like I view Billy Wagner? OR, do you see him as usually lights out no matter what the situation is?

What is your opinion of Hoffman in the big game? For instance do you view him in a big spot, bright lights spot like I view Billy Wagner? OR, do you see him as usually lights out no matter what the situation is?

i definitely don't view him the way you view wagner. hoffman has saved games in the playoffs before and i'm not going to go nuts about him blowing game 3 of a four game sweep in '98. i didn't watch tonight's game cuz it wasn't on extra innings, but he struck out 2 before giving up the triple so i have a hard time thinking the importance got in his head and he got nervous. my rule is that i never get mad at him for blowing regular season games cuz if you get mad at the guy who does his job in regular season games better than anyone in history then who can't you get mad at? however, i dont view him as lights out no matter what the situation is either. IMO he hasn't proven that he's fits either one of the descriptions you listed. if he fucks up in the playoffs i can no longer argue back at people who try to tell me he can't do it in the big spot (though i will still ridicule people who cite a blown game in the exhibition all-star game as supporting evidence).

besides, if the pads don't make the playoffs now and that was his last appearance he definitely won't retire and i would think he would not demand a ton of money either

i definitely don't view him the way you view wagner. hoffman has saved games in the playoffs before and i'm not going to go nuts about him blowing game 3 of a four game sweep in '98. i didn't watch tonight's game cuz it wasn't on extra innings, but he struck out 2 before giving up the triple so i have a hard time thinking the importance got in his head and he got nervous. my rule is that i never get mad at him for blowing regular season games cuz if you get mad at the guy who does his job in regular season games better than anyone in history then who can't you get mad at? however, i dont view him as lights out no matter what the situation is either. IMO he hasn't proven that he's fits either one of the descriptions you listed. if he fucks up in the playoffs i can no longer argue back at people who try to tell me he can't do it in the big spot (though i will still ridicule people who cite a blown game in the exhibition all-star game as supporting evidence).

besides, if the pads don't make the playoffs now and that was his last appearance he definitely won't retire and i would think he would not demand a ton of money either

my only thing with the game 3 of the 98 WS was that it would have been 2-1 instead of 3-0 and yes it was a 4 game sweep, but the whole complexion of that series 2-1 back in SD for games 4 and 5 changes if he records that save.

I agree on the ALL Star thing, totally irelevant.

my only thing with the game 3 of the 98 WS was that it would have been 2-1 instead of 3-0 and yes it was a 4 game sweep, but the whole complexion of that series 2-1 back in SD for games 4 and 5 changes if he records that save.

I agree on the ALL Star thing, totally irelevant.

i know what you mean, but the truth is the series was over after mark langston's 2-2 pitch over the middle of the plate was called a ball in game 1. the pads were going toe-to-toe with the yanks the whole game and were just demoralized after that grand slam. the only reason why the pads had the lead in game 3 was the yanks took the day off.

yeah, i agree.

haha, well for SOME fan bases the only criteria is a ring, so they'd probably agree :P

but yeah, nen's the man, anytime my friends and i would play strato and one of those assholes would draft hoffman, nen would be my guy

has hoffman ever had a meaningful save?

they're all meaningful. if you're asking if the guy is clutch- i'd say so. because of his pitches, there's less chance of him serving up a hanger or a bp fastball than any other closer. that, plus he doesn't get injured.

has hoffman ever had a meaningful save?

yes, he's had playoff saves. and he went 53/54 in 98 in a year that the pads coincidently made the world series. im sure some of those were meaningful. some closers aren't blessed enough to be put on championship caliber teams every season though and get opportunity after opportunity to get world series save opps--which in the end is the difference between hoffman and rivera

yes, he's had playoff saves. and he went 53/54 in 98 in a year that the pads coincidently made the world series. im sure some of those were meaningful. some closers aren't blessed enough to be put on championship caliber teams every season though and get opportunity after opportunity to get world series save opps--which in the end is the difference between hoffman and rivera

I was joking...I think thats a ridiculous thing to say...the morons on baseball tonight said it the other day....God I hate those guys...except for Tim Kurkjian, he's my ninja

I would love to have a do over and have Hoffman as my teams closer right now.

Apparently Billy has been lashing out to Rick and Willie straight to their faces AND through the media?

You were right about this clown. Losers like him and Delgado is what made us into what we became this year.