SportsWrath

Looking ahead to 2008

xxi-xxv

If the Mets are able to get Santana I'd be very impressed. I honestly dont think they have the trade chips to get him.

I don't see any way Santana is in a Twins jersey the whole year.

Maybe there's a way we can work a three way deal where we get Santana and a decent 1b, get rid of Delgado, and give the Twins our top prospects (Miilledge, Gomez, and Humber/Pelfrey).

That's the only way I see it going down. A 3 way deal. But I'm confident we're going to be hearing about it a ton.

Johan Santana WILL BE a Met. No doubt about it mark it in stone. The Mets will give them Pelfrey, Milledge or Gomez and possibly Martinez as well.

Oh Goody !!! Then we can watch the bullpen finally blow games for a bonfide "ACE" !!!

Believe you me, Omar will do his almighty best to ensure that this pen is better in 07 than it was in 08. Maybe Duaner Sanchez comes back?

If he does, what are we getting? Can we somehow rid our team of Mota ?!

What other relievers are available?

I would love it if we somehow landed Santana. That's the kind of guy who could have stopped the bleeding.

If he does, what are we getting? Can we somehow rid our team of Mota ?!

What other relievers are available?

I would love it if we somehow landed Santana. That's the kind of guy who could have stopped the bleeding.

Mota= gone

A deal for Santana will involve some combo of Gomez, Milledge, Pelfrey, Humber and Martinez. Figure 1 position player and 2-3 pitchers. If Minny waits until midseason they will get screwed. Omar must make this happen, then give him the same deal the Giants gave Zito.

Omar should take a look at Bradford again. Give him a low-middle level prospect to the O's for him.

We need that guy back.

Will joe smith have an impact next yeaR?

Minnesota knows when their window shuts, and that time is now. They'll try to trade Santana and get a bunch of prospects from two teams.

Maybe the D Backs could use a 1b past his prime?

• 5 weeks later...

IMO, getting a guy like Santana would be unbelievable. But losing what it would take to get him is not worth it. Unless they'll take Delgado, in a trade where Morneau and Santana come here, then I don't think it's a good idea. It will take Milledge, Gomez, Pelfrey and maybe Heilman to get Santana. It's doable, we would get him, but I don't think we NEED him that much. Remember, we didn't have Pedro almost the entire year. Pelfrey made strides this season. Maine is coming into his own. Perez is very good if not spectacular. This rotation could peak next year. What we do have is 2 old corner outfielders, and an old 1st baseman. What the Mets really need to do is try to land Posada. Plan B for catcher should include Yorvit Torrealba or Michael Barrett. It should NOT include bringing back Lo Duca. I wouldn't mind if the Mets just made Castro the starter. The guy can hit, has a lot of power, and I think would put up very good offensive numbers, given the chance to play everyday. And we all now he is very good defensively. This somehow doesn't seem like a viable option to the Mets, though. Another thing I don't understand is why not let Gotay start? He has proven he can hit on the major league level already, is a switch hitter, and is pretty fast as well. Plus they could resign Marlon Anderson, and Damion Easley has already signed, so that's 2 good backups there. Honestly, how much are we realistically going to lose with Castillo gone?

Getting back to the potential trade, though, Alou can't stay healthy all year, so that leaves us thin in the outfield if Milledge and Gomez are gone. Milledge is ready to start IMO. The Mets have this problem letting there prospects make the final jump from reserve player to everyday player. What, is Shawn Green really going to produce better than Milledge for a full season? I think we know the answer to that. But since we do need another left-handed outfield bat with pop, Green may be back. If he's not, bringing back Cliff Floyd, who is a free agent might make sense. Even though he does fight injuries, we still have depth.

IMO, getting a guy like Santana would be unbelievable. But losing what it would take to get him is not worth it. Unless they'll take Delgado, in a trade where Morneau and Santana come here, then I don't think it's a good idea. It will take Milledge, Gomez, Pelfrey and maybe Heilman to get Santana. It's doable, we would get him, but I don't think we NEED him that much. Remember, we didn't have Pedro almost the entire year. Pelfrey made strides this season. Maine is coming into his own. Perez is very good if not spectacular. This rotation could peak next year. What we do have is 2 old corner outfielders, and an old 1st baseman. What the Mets really need to do is try to land Posada. Plan B for catcher should include Yorvit Torrealba or Michael Barrett. It should NOT include bringing back Lo Duca. I wouldn't mind if the Mets just made Castro the starter. The guy can hit, has a lot of power, and I think would put up very good offensive numbers, given the chance to play everyday. And we all now he is very good defensively. This somehow doesn't seem like a viable option to the Mets, though. Another thing I don't understand is why not let Gotay start? He has proven he can hit on the major league level already, is a switch hitter, and is pretty fast as well. Plus they could resign Marlon Anderson, and Damion Easley has already signed, so that's 2 good backups there. Honestly, how much are we realistically going to lose with Castillo gone?

Getting back to the potential trade, though, Alou can't stay healthy all year, so that leaves us thin in the outfield if Milledge and Gomez are gone. Milledge is ready to start IMO. The Mets have this problem letting there prospects make the final jump from reserve player to everyday player. What, is Shawn Green really going to produce better than Milledge for a full season? I think we know the answer to that. But since we do need another left-handed outfield bat with pop, Green may be back. If he's not, bringing back Cliff Floyd, who is a free agent might make sense. Even though he does fight injuries, we still have depth where Milledge, Chavez, and/or Gomez can get starts so the older guys can get rest and stay fresh.

The bullpen is the major point we need to improve. With Duaner Sanchez coming back, hopefully strong as ever, we will automatically be better in that area. I think Wagner was better this year than in '06 and am willing to keep him. To me, he had a very solid year. Nobody is automatic everytime. I think we need another good bullpen arm, though, for insurance in case Sanchez doesn't return to form. There seem to be a lot of quality arms in the free agent market this year. Some people want to get rid of this guy and that guy but you have to examine who is out there to replace those players.

Mets aint trading Wright, he is as much the face of the franchise as they have had in years. Probably a better chance they trade Reyes, and even those chances are slim. In actuality we probably will not get Santana. Twins will hold onto him and probably trade him if they are out of the race in JULY, where a package of prospects will be what it will take to get him. Sadly the Mets are going to have to hope Pedro is better than Glavine was in 07 at the top of the rotation, Maine and Perez are as good as they were in 07 and they are goingf to have to do now what all teams will with greater revenue, develop young pitching. I do not think its out of the realm of possibility to see Pedro, Maine, Perez, Pelfrey and Humber 1-5, with El Duque as that spot 6th starter/better rested pitcher for the stretch drive when needed. Omar will have to do it like he did in 2006, with a solid bullpen.

• 2 weeks later...

We needeed a catcher who can help our young inconsistent pitchers. IMO Lo Duca did not cut it. When the wheels came off of Perez and Maine towards the end, he did little to stop the bleeding.

We need a guy who can manage pitchers. I dont care what his avg was.

• 2 months later...