SportsWrath

Update on Eli and Osi

Lubeck

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Giants' Manning a game-time decision vs. Packers

NFL.com Wire Reports

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Eli Manning took some snaps with the New York Giants' first unit on Friday for the first time all week, but the team is still cautious about the fourth-year quarterback's injured throwing shoulder.

Spotlight on Lorenzen

With Eli Manning nursing a shoulder injury, backup quarterback Jared Lorenzen may be thrust into a starting role. Here's a look at his stats:

Manning split time with Jared Lorenzen, who will make his first NFL start on Sunday if Manning is unable to. Lorenzen played the final series of last Sunday's 45-35 loss at Dallas.

Manning was hurt in the fourth quarter when Cowboys linebacker Anthony Spencer tackled him on a failed two-point conversion attempt.

After being restricted to throwing on the sidelines earlier in the week, Manning threw to receivers on Friday. He was listed as questionable for Sunday's game against Green Bay.

"He seemed to throw the ball pretty well," coach Tom Coughlin said. "If you really watch closely, he did the smart thing. He loosened up pretty good and started to get into the velocity throws a little bit later on. He has actually thrown the ball on the side pretty well, even from day one.

"The key term is, how is he going to be in the morning and then what are the medical people going to say?"

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora also practiced for the first time since irritating cartilage in his left knee on the Giants' first defensive series against Dallas.

"When it first happened I thought I was going to be out for a while, but it doesn't look like I am going to be out for that long right now," he said. "I feel pretty well. I feel actually all right."

Umenyiora was listed as probable for Sunday's game.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

I am really surprised how quickly Osi is coming back. Probable was never even in my thought process.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Giants' Manning a game-time decision vs. Packers

NFL.com Wire Reports

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Eli Manning took some snaps with the New York Giants' first unit on Friday for the first time all week, but the team is still cautious about the fourth-year quarterback's injured throwing shoulder.

Spotlight on Lorenzen

With Eli Manning nursing a shoulder injury, backup quarterback Jared Lorenzen may be thrust into a starting role. Here's a look at his stats:

Manning split time with Jared Lorenzen, who will make his first NFL start on Sunday if Manning is unable to. Lorenzen played the final series of last Sunday's 45-35 loss at Dallas.

Manning was hurt in the fourth quarter when Cowboys linebacker Anthony Spencer tackled him on a failed two-point conversion attempt.

After being restricted to throwing on the sidelines earlier in the week, Manning threw to receivers on Friday. He was listed as questionable for Sunday's game against Green Bay.

"He seemed to throw the ball pretty well," coach Tom Coughlin said. "If you really watch closely, he did the smart thing. He loosened up pretty good and started to get into the velocity throws a little bit later on. He has actually thrown the ball on the side pretty well, even from day one.

"The key term is, how is he going to be in the morning and then what are the medical people going to say?"

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora also practiced for the first time since irritating cartilage in his left knee on the Giants' first defensive series against Dallas.

"When it first happened I thought I was going to be out for a while, but it doesn't look like I am going to be out for that long right now," he said. "I feel pretty well. I feel actually all right."

Umenyiora was listed as probable for Sunday's game.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

I am really surprised how quickly Osi is coming back. Probable was never even in my thought process.

Yeah, probable, that means he will most likely play. Im surprised, I thought it was worse. Do you think he really SHOULD play though?

Eli Manning passes test, may play against Packers

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, September 15th 2007, 4:00 AM

Eli Manning returned to practice yesterday and took a huge step toward starting tomorrow's game.

In fact, a lot of people in the Giants organization will be surprised if he doesn't.

Multiple team sources and several of Manning's teammates said yesterday they expect him to start in the Giants' home opener against the Green Bay Packers, although the final decision belongs to Tom Coughlin and it likely won't be made until just before kickoff. It also will depend on how Manning's injured right shoulder feels tomorrow morning.

Yesterday, however, all the news about the quarterback seemed to be good.

Despite still nursing a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder, Manning took about half of the snaps in the Giants' final practice of the week - his first practice action since he got hurt in Dallas on Sunday night. And he looked so good and seemed to be so pain-free that his teammates all sounded confident he will be ready to go.

"I'll be very surprised if he doesn't play, knowing the way he feels," said running back Brandon Jacobs, who'll miss the game with a sprained knee. "I ask him every day how he's feeling and he gives me a positive answer, saying he feels good. That makes me feel good."

It made everyone in the locker room feel good to see the 26-year-old Manning making throw after throw yesterday. He made 14 throws, ranging from 10 to 30 yards in the half hour that was open to the media. The deeper passes were lobs and several seemed to wobble, but on the shorter throws his passes seemed to have plenty of zip.

After the media left, Manning apparently did much more. Coughlin said Manning "seemed to throw the ball pretty good."

Backup Jared Lorenzen said he watched Manning make every throw that a quarterback is expected to make in a game.

"He was throwing fade routes, some nice hard slant routes," Lorenzen said. "He can make all the throws. That's what I'm seeing out there."

"He looked fine," added receiver Sinorice Moss. "Normal motion and everything. He wasn't complaining about anything."

Even though the return of Manning would mean Lorenzen, the would-be starter, would be forced back to the sideline, Lorenzen said it was "awesome" to see Manning back at practice. On Wednesday and Thursday, Lorenzen took all the first-team snaps while Manning did some soft tossing on the side.

"If he can play, he's going to do it," Lorenzen said. "He took probably about half of (the snaps) in every session that we had. He threw some good balls. I think he can go out there and play."

Coughlin said the key is, "How is he going to be in the morning, and then what are the medical people going to say?" For the moment, the only one who really knows how he feels is Manning, and he wasn't available to talk to reporters yesterday. His final status will depend on how his shoulder responds to yesterday's work today.

If Manning is relatively pain-free when the Giants hold their walk-through at the stadium today and doesn't have a setback before game time tomorrow, the Giants are ready to let him start. How much he plays would depend on how his shoulder feels and if he's able to avoid taking any direct hits.

Just the fact there's a chance he's going to play is impressive since, according to once source close to Manning, he initially was told that his second-degree sprain came with a normal recovery time of three to four weeks. He was also told he could play much sooner if his shoulder felt OK and his pain tolerance was high.

Still, many in the Giants' organization were bracing for the possibility that he'd have to miss one game, at least. Yesterday, he seemed to put those fears to rest by looking better in practice than anyone thought he would.

"I think he makes great throws anyway," Lorenzen said. "But to have that (injury) happen and for him to be out there on a Friday making plays, that's incredible."

ANOTHER FAST HEALER: DE Osi Umenyiora (knee) returned to practice way ahead of schedule yesterday, and even though he said he did only "a little bit," he is listed as "probable" for tomorrow's game. ... CB Sam Madison (hamstring) is listed as questionable, but said he's ready to go. He'll likely start in place of R.W. McQuarters, who will probably be shifted back to nickel back. ... K Lawrence Tynes (calf) is questionable, but said he'll play.... Rookie LB Zak DeOssie (back) did not practice and is questionable, too.

why have you been so negative about the Giants this year? not one plyer on the team seems to please you.

I don't think I've been that negative this year. Strahan just didn't impress me from the start, that's all. Anyone that disagrees didn't watch the game.

Doesn't mean I think Strahan won't have a big impact this year, I think he'll help this team by a considerable amount.

Check some threads, I've been over-pleased with certain players (Eli, Diehl, Burress, Shockey, Ward, etc.)